Notices

New tires - that's what I've been missing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:43 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
Default New tires - that's what I've been missing.

I bought my 2001 Boxster S in June 2009 and had to put new tires on it to pass safety when I brought it back home from Ontario. I put the Hankook v12's on all 4 corners on it back then at around 70K km...

I've gone through 2-3 sets of rears, to the one set of fronts on them since then. I recently had to replace the tires as the inner shoulder on my right rear was getting pretty worn... Like I think I would be on cords soon. I currently have just under 138K km on the car. All 4 tires had variious bits of scalloping on the inside shoulders.

Man - took the car for a spin yesterday after cleaning the wheels and putting them on the car...

Wow. transformed. comfortable ride, quiet. All the grip that I need. Smile to my face.

I ended up getting Kumho ps31 tires. $650 delivered plus $132 for installation at a tire shop less than 5 minutes from work. Had to take wife's q7 in to get the 4 tires and rims to fit.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

my tires are from 2001 I think ... my car didn't explode and cause massive havoc like many people think because of the age, but reading this makes me think its time to treat myself.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:10 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
my tires are from 2001 I think ... my car didn't explode and cause massive havoc like many people think because of the age, but reading this makes me think its time to treat myself.
With the money saved from buying oil on sale at CT (tongue in cheek), I would do it, and I hate spending money on tires. When I was taking my tires in, my fronts had a manufacture code of 3208.

I'm seriously thinking about putting a note in my phone calendar for mid/early 2019 to get my L and R's swapped.... I think if I can mitigate some of the inside cupping, I should get a more comfortable ride in terms of NVH.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah the savings were for my son as he tries to keep his car running while getting through school and doing his own oil changes

Mobil one goes no where near my Porsche ....

But ill just let em run with it
Old 10-24-2017, 03:12 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Been about a month with the tires on, and haven't noticed anything untoward with them... Happy.

I've had them chirp once doing a left hand turn from a 2 lane hiway onto a county side road... I'll blame it on going in too hot, and there were recent lines painted on the road....
Old 10-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I used to think that the ageing thing was not such a big deal.

Wrong.

Was driving the SL in Arizona a couple of years ago. The car, a 2003, only had 30,000km on it and they had been easy, Tires had lots of tread.

At 120km/h the right rear failed completely and shredded instantly.

Luckily no damage and no skids.

After that I would not allow tires to age out.
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (05-17-2022)
Old 10-24-2017, 03:49 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 210 Likes on 134 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_W..._repercussions
On November 30, 2013, at about 3:30 p.m. PST, Walker and Roger Rodas, 38, left an event for Walker's charity Reach Out Worldwide for victims of Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda),[53] with Rodas driving[54] his Porsche Carrera GT. In a 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) speed zone on Hercules Street near Kelly Johnson Parkway in Valencia, Santa Clarita, California, the car crashed into a concrete lamp post and two trees and caught fire.[53][55][56][57][58][56][59] Rodas died of multiple trauma while Walker died from the combined effects of trauma and burns. Both of their bodies were burned beyond recognition.[54]
The curve where Walker and Rodas were killed is a popular spot for drifting cars.[60] No alcohol or other drugs were found in either man's system,[61] and neither mechanical failure nor road conditions appeared to play a role.[62] Police found no evidence of drag racing.[63] The investigation concluded that the car's speed – between 80 mph (130 km/h) and 93 mph (150 km/h) – and age of the tires were the primary reasons for the crash.[64]
Tires are cheap. Porsches are expensive. Get new tires.
The following users liked this post:
6IXSPD (05-17-2022)
Old 10-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

IMO the issue with old tires is the lack of sticking. No data supports old tires will blow out sooner than new. The difference in grip is huge as the rubber degrades.
Going to the UCR concours exiting off dvp an SL was trying to keep up with me and did some fishtailing around the corner. It was an older gent and I am sure that both woke him up and was caused by old tires.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:04 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

I have a 10 year old set of sneakers. feet hurt after a 10 minute walk.
They look great lots of tread.
Put on my new set from sport chek, I can walk for miles.

Always like new tires. That extra 5/32 mm of compliant rubber, takes out all the creaks and thumps. It's like brand new suspension and a quiet car.
Put new Continental DSW's on my wifes X5. Drove like used to.
You forget over time, you remember after the spend.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:41 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Turbodan
IMO the issue with old tires is the lack of sticking. No data supports old tires will blow out sooner than new. The difference in grip is huge as the rubber degrades.
Going to the UCR concours exiting off dvp an SL was trying to keep up with me and did some fishtailing around the corner. It was an older gent and I am sure that both woke him up and was caused by old tires.
I agree with this. I don't think im an F-1 driver and drive around the streets like a F'ing moron. My 15 year old tires did their last run as when I put my all seasons on last week I noticed some cracking beginning in the blocks. Sidewalls look great and still stick well for my type of driving , but alas it is time.

next Spring it will be time to give Zook a call just a matter of figuring out which Country he is in .
Old 10-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
next Spring it will be time to give Zook a call just a matter of figuring out which Country he is in .
I'm here for the winter but have a trip planned to Amman, Baghdad & Erbil in Feb, I might make it back
Old 05-17-2022, 11:24 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Don't people love revived old threads?

It's now 4 years later, and the boxster has about 156K km on it (that's what I told Service Ontario yesterday when I went to 'renew' my stickerless plates).

Even tire wear, still happy with the ride... The rears are at just over 5/32" tread, the fronts at 6/32".... Depending on gas prices, I may get enough km on the car that I will replace the rears with something this season.... alas, looks like the PS31 from Kumho was discontinued in the 2020 season. There is some scalloping wear from some track abuse when I used these tires for a few track days/evenings at grand bend before I got a dedicated set of tires and wheels....

Not bad for a tire with a 400 treadwear rating...
Old 05-18-2022, 10:24 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

i went with indy 500s last year and i like them , not too hard on the pocketbook . Michelin were just too stupid expensive for me for what i use my car for as i looked at those too. .

Quick Reply: New tires - that's what I've been missing.