Notices

Germany Trip Advice Sep 10th-17th

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Germany Trip Advice Sep 10th-17th

Piggy Backing with a Buddy whos going on Business Trip Sep 10th thru 17th so we will be in Munich Monday Thru Thursday, then Friday we plan to Drive to Nurburgring and spend a day there and then Friday night we plan to drive to Stuttgart and spend Saturday there and then back at night to Munich for Sunday Flight back.

Needs advise and recommendations on Car Rental in Munich from Thursday thru Sunday and also a Track Car rental at Nurburgring Friday 15th Sep

Thursday he has M-Tour Booked at BMW Factory in Munich but Saturday 16th we plan to do Porsche 100% and maybe Benz Factory/Museum Tour in Stuttgart, do we need to book in advance or get tickets there.

What to do in Munich for 4 days while buddy is at work until evening? Road Trip from Munich to Nurburgring advise? Stuttgart Hotel Advise?

Thanks guys, I only been to Frankfurt a few times and haven't left the City
Old 08-15-2017, 11:58 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

I've stayed here three times - great hotel, right across from the train station and U-bann, great shopping around the corner. Nice steak house across from it! Beer!!

https://www.steigenberger.com/en/hot...-graf-zeppelin

Porsche museum entry is free with PCA membership card. Closed on Mondays I think as well as Merc. No reservations required. There are reservations required for the factory tour - you can do that online.

Factory tour email: werksfuehrungen@porsche.de No tours before Sept 7th due to model change over.

Tours of both Museums in same day is rushing it but doable. Restaurants in both museums. Don't miss the Porsche souvenir shop! The Porsche store across the street has better clothing. There is also a little known store on the factory grounds that's almost treated a secret - its near the customer factory delivery pick up area.

If you are driving: Watch for the speed cameras in Stuttgart - they are painted green and in the bushes!

Munich? Not a fan. Too many hookers and BMW's. Oh wait?

The Ring: Are you doing the Ring Taxi or (horrors) using your rental car?? The tourist days this year have been mental. They just had a big 10 car crash this past weekend. The crash 'menu' of how much the costs of crashing (guardrail repair, clean up, towing etc) are is sobering...
Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Piggy Backing with a Buddy whos going on Business Trip Sep 10th thru 17th so we will be in Munich Monday Thru Thursday, then Friday we plan to Drive to Nurburgring and spend a day there and then Friday night we plan to drive to Stuttgart and spend Saturday there and then back at night to Munich for Sunday Flight back.

Needs advise and recommendations on Car Rental in Munich from Thursday thru Sunday and also a Track Car rental at Nurburgring Friday 15th Sep

Thursday he has M-Tour Booked at BMW Factory in Munich but Saturday 16th we plan to do Porsche 100% and maybe Benz Factory/Museum Tour in Stuttgart, do we need to book in advance or get tickets there.

What to do in Munich for 4 days while buddy is at work until evening? Road Trip from Munich to Nurburgring advise? Stuttgart Hotel Advise?

Thanks guys, I only been to Frankfurt a few times and haven't left the City
You can do Porsche Museum and Mercedes easily in a few hours, you can get tickets on site. Porsche isn't very big but the resto there is much better than Merc. Factory tour you can either email or call. Calling is best.. they do have no shows. BMW factory tour is nice, do the museum and welt. Grab a beer at BMW Welt there is a nice bar upstairs on the right hand side after entering from the main door. Is the M tour at Garching? Bring PCA card and BMWCCA card for discounts

Munich is a great city, visit the Olympic Park, Deutsches Museum obviously lots of great beer halls (avoid Hofbrauhaus at peak hours) Augustiner Braustubn and Koniglicher Hirschgarten are well worth the visit! There are a few castles/palaces just a quick train ride away.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Torontoworker thanks on the Hotel advice I was actually looking at that Hotel on Trivago lol
I have Emailed the address you gave me to book a Tour, will be doing the Porsche Tour/Museum for sure and if we have time hit up Benz

As for the Ring we are going to rent a car at the track from RSR an VW GTI for 4-6 Laps Total unless someone has another suggestion on Track Rental.

Gregster I'm not sure where the M-Tour is my BMW buddy I'm going with arranged that already, all I know is I'm the +1 lol I don't Drink so don't care about Beer gonna check out the Castles for sure, thanks!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

In Munich great restaurant called Hacksenbauer, you will never look at a pigs knuckle the same way.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Zook:

All Nürburgring info is here..be very clear on opening times as the vary:

http://www.bridgetogantry.com

I normally stay at the Hotel am Tiergarten in Nürburg, had a very evocative restaurant called the Pistenklause. Very close to Ring entrance.

http://www.am-tiergarten.de/en/rooms-nuerburgring

Car rental at Ring: RSR Nürburg is the biggest and has a big range of track equipped cars. Do NOT take your normal rental on the track.

Route Munich to Nürburg is about 550Km ..try Via Michelin for directions;mainly autobahn.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ronan
Zook:

All Nürburgring info is here..be very clear on opening times as the vary:

http://www.bridgetogantry.com

I normally stay at the Hotel am Tiergarten in Nürburg, had a very evocative restaurant called the Pistenklause. Very close to Ring entrance.

http://www.am-tiergarten.de/en/rooms-nuerburgring

Car rental at Ring: RSR Nürburg is the biggest and has a big range of track equipped cars. Do NOT take your normal rental on the track.

Route Munich to Nürburg is about 550Km ..try Via Michelin for directions;mainly autobahn.
Ronan thanks just so I'm clear, according the option times is it only open 5:15pm to 7:30pm only on SEP 15th? how many laps can I get in this time? at least 6?
or does that mean during this time the Ring Ticket is not Required?

We are getting a car from RSR 99%

I wont be staying in Nurburg will be spending the night in Stuttgart
Old 08-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Guys.... Oktoberfest starts then... Munich has the largest Oktoberfest celebration in the world. Go to the massive grounds where Oktoberfest is mainly being hosted (central Munich), and just wander around. Even if you're by yourself, you'll make friends quick.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Ronan thanks just so I'm clear, according the option times is it only open 5:15pm to 7:30pm only on SEP 15th? how many laps can I get in this time? at least 6?
or does that mean during this time the Ring Ticket is not Required?

We are getting a car from RSR 99%

I wont be staying in Nurburg will be spending the night in Stuttgart
Zook: You get a ring card like a credit card and get as many laps as you need..office is right beside the entrance to the track.

You always need that to me knowledge but you should check on arrival. For a two hour session assuming you simply keep pin the track you could manage up to 8-10 laps, but you are very well advised not to push hard on your first visit...the place is really deceptive and you are not prepared for the amazing hilliness and blind corners.

Watch Schewdenkreuz ( about 5km in)..looks sweet left-hander but it tightens with a bump and lots of accidents..also Brunnchen gets a lot of first timers.
Have fun!...still the best track experience n earth
Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the Advice Ronan, some people I spoke to they are done in about 1-3 Laps the first time, apparently its very tiring, your thoughts?
Old 08-17-2017, 03:12 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

If you've never seen it you should hit the Frankfurt auto show while you are there. Insane size and activations / displays! Media days are 12-13 and Public 14-24.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Zook:

You can get more than 1-3 laps even taking it easy. Trick is to make sure you have your ticket early so you can line up if its busy...

lower powered car better for first time. You will not believe how hilly it is and how fast some of the passing traffic can be. Use normal autobahn rules..indicators, no passing on the right etc.and stay out of the way of the quick guys.]]
Old 08-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Let us know when you are at the Ring and we can watch you on the webcams. Keep the rental shiny side up.

As for the Octoberfest and Munich. Considering the tensions between migrants and native Europeans at the moment. Be careful.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LastMezger
If you've never seen it you should hit the Frankfurt auto show while you are there. Insane size and activations / displays! Media days are 12-13 and Public 14-24.
Thanks but Autoshow doesn't interest me

Originally Posted by Ronan
Zook:

You can get more than 1-3 laps even taking it easy. Trick is to make sure you have your ticket early so you can line up if its busy...

lower powered car better for first time. You will not believe how hilly it is and how fast some of the passing traffic can be. Use normal autobahn rules..indicators, no passing on the right etc.and stay out of the way of the quick guys.]]
Ah I see how Early is Early? Now I might be going Saturday instead of Friday due to Timing

Originally Posted by Imo000
Let us know when you are at the Ring and we can watch you on the webcams. Keep the rental shiny side up.

As for the Octoberfest and Munich. Considering the tensions between migrants and native Europeans at the moment. Be careful.
lol thanks for the Advise, I have spent time is Baghdad when on vacation in northern Iraq in the past couple of years, I think I can handle myself
Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Thanks but Autoshow doesn't interest me

Ah I see how Early is Early? Now I might be going Saturday instead of Friday due to Timing

lol thanks for the Advise, I have spent time is Baghdad when on vacation in northern Iraq in the past couple of years, I think I can handle myself

Zook,

everyone lines up wherever they can on the roads, parking lots (small) and it can take quite a while to get cars onto the track, but they are efficient (they are German!)
Its Saturday, it might be busy, depends on if they have a race or event that day. If its your first time, take it easy on track. You can probably get anywhere between 2-4 laps in depending on your speed. There is a lot to take in, and a lot of corners are blind and as Ronan says, lots of elevation. I think the number of laps you get in depends on how many people are crashing in front of you.

First time there, I managed 2 laps before they closed the track due to 17 cars crashing.
Next time, smooth sailing

Good luck

Quick Reply: Germany Trip Advice Sep 10th-17th