Notices

Cayenne Diesel Emission Settlement in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Fc6450
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned my diesel since end of 2012 from new. I think any modification to meet emission standard will definitely affect the car's performance and consumption negatively (why else cheat).

The only communication I got from Porsche was a letter extending me a limited warranty period another 2 years or unto 160,000 km and that I don't have to do anything as this info will be automatically updated to my dealer. My dealer called a few days after I received the letter to tell me my warranty was about to expire. I have to explain I got a letter from Porsche Canada regarding the extended warranty.

I am very happy with the car with no major problems so far. Giving me average around 750km every full tank. Hope we get similar treatment as US customers. I am not expecting a buy back but been told to expect cash compensation (positive) and modification (negative to me).
Old 10-23-2017, 03:50 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

October 23, 2017 / 11:28 AM / Updated an hour ago

U.S. regulators approve fix for 38,000 VW 3.0-liter diesel SUVs

David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. and California regulators have approved a fix for about 38,000 Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) 3.0-liter vehicles with potential excess emissions, a decision that could save the automaker more than $1 billion, according to a letter made public on Monday.

The approval means the German automaker will not need to buy back luxury 2013-2016 model-year diesel Porsche Cayenne, Volkswagen Touareg and 2013-2015 Audi Q7 sport utility vehicles. Under a settlement approved by U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer in May, VW would have been forced to offer to buy back the vehicles if it had not won government approval for a fix.

In the May settlement, VW had agreed to spend at least $1.22 billion to fix or buy back nearly 80,000 vehicles with 3.0-liter engines. As part of that settlement, VW agreed to pay owners of vehicles who obtain fixes between $8,500 and $17,000.

Volkswagen, the best-selling automaker worldwide in 2016, could have been forced to pay up to $4.04 billion if the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board failed to approve fixes for all 3.0-liter vehicles.

Some models will need hardware and software fixes, while newer models will get only a software upgrade.

The company is still awaiting approval for fixes for 3.0-liter diesel passenger cars. The company previously agreed to buy back about 20,000 older 3.0-liter diesel vehicles.

Volkswagen said it was pleased with approval and added it is working with regulators to develop fixes for other 3.0-liter vehicles “as quickly as possible.”

Last year, Breyer approved a separate settlement for Volkswagen worth up to $14.7 billion, requiring it to buy back 475,000 polluting vehicles with 2.0-liter engines.

In total, VW has now agreed to spend up to $25 billion in the United States to address claims from owners, environmental regulators, U.S. states and dealers and to make buyback offers.

In April, Volkswagen, which admitted to circumventing the emissions control system in U.S. diesel vehicles, was sentenced to three years’ probation after pleading guilty to three felony counts.

EPA posted the letter publicly after Reuters disclosed the approval earlier Monday.

Last month, VW said it was taking another $3 billion charge to fix diesel engines in the United States, lifting the total bill for its emissions-test cheating scandal to around $30 billion.

The company is still working to put the two-year-old “Dieselgate” scandal behind it, and seeking to transform itself into a maker of mass-market electric cars.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:44 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

well hoping this is good news and we start seeing diesel being offered again.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:09 PM
991GTA
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a friend who was affected by this and they have had nothing but issues trying to get their buyback paperwork approved by VW. Every time it gets rejected for a technicality they have to start the entire process over. They finally got their appointment to take the car back in November.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:19 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Booo!

I wanted a buy back...but sedans are not covered by this update. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

so if they patch or fix , is it assumed the owner is forced to accept a lower performing vehicle in gas mileage or performance ?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:56 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
so if they patch or fix , is it assumed the owner is forced to accept a lower performing vehicle in gas mileage or performance ?
well... it likely can be tuned back out....

For the past 3 years, I've run a Malone stage 1.5 tune on my '06 Jetta TDI ... love it... been getting about 5.6-5.7L/100km with it over the past 6 months

My wife has a 2011 q7 TDI with close to 200K km... no idea what we'll do with it, or if a patch will come out for it... her all season tires were getting low on tread (still safety-able) but I purchased and installed new rubber for it. I asked for the old tires back, as I'll pay to get them swapped out if it ends up going back to Audi within the next 18 months...

It's getting to the point where you would think the DPF might need some $$$ soon.... I would consider doing a DPF delete tune if we kept it...

I would really like to find out what the options are soon....
Old 10-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

I think I can live with the effects of the fixes outlined on the EPA website (assuming they're accurate), provided of course, that we also get the same cash payments as they got in the USA. I just really wish Canadian authorities would deal with this pronto so we could all move on with our lives and make decisions about what we want to do with our CDs after the fix. Surprising lack of urgency given that our vehicles continue to spew unacceptable emission levels into the environment. I guess there aren't enough of us to get their attention.

Way too long to be in limbo.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:49 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...esel-suvs.html
Old 11-07-2017, 01:26 AM
RickDC
Advanced

If they had matched the US payouts earlier this year, it would have been a 10-20% increase because of the exchange rate.. i.e. USD$10,000 payout - CAD$14,500. Now that we've waited, they could say they're issuing the same dollar amount as the US, but we'd be paid CAD$12,500 - that's a lot of money saved over all of those vehicles all over Canada.

They're not thick ;-)

You'd think with our environmental concerns being somewhat better than our neighbours to the south, that they'd be publicizing the fact they were coming down on VW harder.

I've not heard a peep out of the government concerning this.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

I was in a Porsche dealership with my 2013 CD today and thought I'd share this info. I asked about settlement status (as I do every time I'm there) and much to my surprise, this time the SA said there had been progress. He said he had recently participated in a Webinar for all service advisors on the approved fixes. Sounds like exactly the same as US approved fixes. So those will be ready to roll out very soon. He also said he couldn't comment on compensation, but in further conversation implied that he believed the comp would be similar numbers to the US settlement, BUT in Canadian dollars with no dollar conversion consideration. So there you go. Just one conversation with one service advisor, but that's the first time in two years they have volunteered any information at all, so I'm taking that to be a good sign.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:20 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...source=twitter
Old 12-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Looks like we have a settlement! Fix is approved and according to my SA yesterday, parts are on order to start the fix soon. However, no mention of what the cash payments will be, only that there will be cash payments. Hopefully that comes very soon.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:54 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
Looks like we have a settlement! Fix is approved and according to my SA yesterday, parts are on order to start the fix soon. However, no mention of what the cash payments will be, only that there will be cash payments. Hopefully that comes very soon.
Does it really matter, it's free money anyways.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Claims Portal

Has anybody been able to successfully enter your VIN on https://vin.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en/VIN ?

I just receive a message stating

This vehicle is not included.

This vehicle is not covered under the scope of the Settlement.

I am trying to enter the VIN for a 2013 CD (3.0 liter).

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel Emission Settlement in Canada