Notices

Recommended Porsche Mechanics in AK

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Recommended Porsche Mechanics in AK

I had asked this question on a local NZ forum, and been directed here (great advice!), so will ask again in a potentially more knowledgeable area.

I've ppicked up a 2006 911 Turbo, and keen to get recommendations on who I should be taking it to for servicing. Looked at Forza Works and Motorscience, any others I should consider? Anyone have experience or second hand feedback on the two above? Is Giltrap worth considering or is their service of Porsches as overpriced and terrible as that of their VW group?*

Also need to get it professionally cleaned. Would appreciate any recommendations in that space as well.

*Feedback since asking this is that Giltrap's Porsche division is a very different environment to that of the VW group, and as such they offer a much better service. Keen to get verification of this from those that know.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:12 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 372 Posts

NZ Skater, that Trademe buy looked like a good one.

You have a choice between Giltraps, Contis, Motorscience, Forza and (last but not least) Steve R in Pirongia.

Of those five, I haven't used Giltraps or Forza. I'm not aware of any of our group that use them. That may say everything or nothing.

Personally, I'd be reluctant to give a recommendation as the town is too small. I don't think you can actually go wrong, it's more about your style and how it fits with the shop. For me the killer is parts. If I can't bring my own parts to fit then it's not going to happen.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:51 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Buy was definitely a good one. Surprised it didn't go any higher to be honest.

Thanks for the feedback, and appreciate the reluctance. Is definitely a small country, even smaller when it comes to relatively niche communities.

I'm not mechanically trained at all, but would like a mechanic who isn't going to dumb down reports & conversation, or try to pull the wool over my eyes (how I felt about my recent VW experience). I'm after the same as any other owner I expect; a knowledgeable mechanic who understands the make and model. I would be new to sourcing parts for a vehicle myself, but had started looking into it before posting here.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Maloo22
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi, Have used Forza for a service on a 996 tt and Andy Booth ( the V8 driver ) is part owner and really good to deal with came and picked it up and dropped it off which is seriously convenient.He has a young French guy in there who was trained in Europe as a Porsche tech and he really knows his stuff.
Cost wise was the same as the VE V8 Commodore used to cost - when I said "thats reasonable", he said just because it's exotic, should mean exotic prices for run of the mill work -that comment sat well with me !
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Maloo22
Track Day

Try http://www.finaltouch.co.nz/Services/Valet_Service for paint correction , best you can get without respray , but for regular try the guys at the Chancery Car wash in bacons Lane - used them for years and very good.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:09 AM
Maloo22
Track Day

Mmmmm, take Forza off the list - completely empty, nothing left and Sandro now living back in Europe - back to the drawing board on who to go to
Old 06-02-2014, 05:29 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Yeah I see a blurb on their site stating they've been purchased by Torino Motors.

Given this kind of business is only as valuable as their customer base it's strange to see that they don't have more structure in place to transition into a new premise or bring Forza customers into the fold of...

...Ok did some research. They're being redirected to 425 Broadway, home of Maserati and owned by Neville Chrichton. Wonder what his plans are.

Sad to hear that Sandro has gone back to Europe, he was a good guy and I got the impression a good mechanic.

Thanks for the suggestion to use Final Touch. Gordon and his team did a good job of reducing the appearance of a few too many stone chips.

Quick Reply: Recommended Porsche Mechanics in AK