Notices

Does Anyone from Australia use this Site??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 09:35 PM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi All
I am an Aussie living in NZ and moving back to Sydney in early 2022. I have a 2007 997 Turbo I am hoping to bring back with me but I am kinda getting freaked out by the potential duty, GST and Luxury Car Tax depending on how the car is valued. All the official channels for info on how this happens is a bit vague on detail.

Has anyone here imported a Porsche (or any other pricey car) to Aus privately? Does anyone have a personal experience they can share?
Old 11-27-2021, 09:56 PM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I imported a 1996 993 into Australia from the UK back in 2004. It came in as a personal import but to qualify I had to have had for the car in excess of two years and had to prove by supplying every page of my passport that I had been domiciled in the UK, or away from Australia, for that period of time.

The car was valued by an agent for Customs at a wholesale value, the value of the car at the time if it were to be traded to a dealer. Add to that the insurance cost, freight and GST the car still came in under the thresh-hold for Luxury Car Tax. All in all it cost me around $17K to get it landed including freight, insurance and GST and passed by an engineer as compliant to Australian standards. I suspect yours will be a lot higher. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:10 PM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Bell
I imported a 1996 993 into Australia from the UK back in 2004. It came in as a personal import but to qualify I had to have had for the car in excess of two years and had to prove by supplying every page of my passport that I had been domiciled in the UK, or away from Australia, for that period of time.

The car was valued by an agent for Customs at a wholesale value, the value of the car at the time if it were to be traded to a dealer. Add to that the insurance cost, freight and GST the car still came in under the thresh-hold for Luxury Car Tax. All in all it cost me around $17K to get it landed including freight, insurance and GST and passed by an engineer as compliant to Australian standards. I suspect yours will be a lot higher. Good luck.
cheers mate, I am confident I meet the personal import requirements but its the valuation part that concerns me. My issue is I got the car at a great price by comparison to Aus prices and think now with current market wholesale prices in Aus will be ~150% the price I got it for. All up making the total cost negligible to selling here and buying local in Aus.

Do you know/recall if the valuation was required because you were seeking a lower valuation, or because the original purchase price was not relevant to the local valuation?
Old 11-28-2021, 03:22 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

I too was worried about the valuation but it came in quite low. You are at their mercy, your purchase price is irrelevant for the purpose of the calculation, you have no say in it. Mine cost me less than it would have cost to buy a similar car here even taking into account how much it cost to get it here. I wouldn't like to go through the same exercise now given how much the 993 has appreciated. I don't believe yours has appreciated as much, even for a turbo but I do think you'll hit the LCT. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:03 AM
SealG996
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi from Canberra, proudly a Kenberran. The ice cold weather,(low intake temperatures) inland dryness (so many survivor cars and clubs, is kind on cars. Summernats (for my LS engined car, only Aussies will understand). Great roads. Also a great city to escape for a break from by sport or touring car. On this forum to sort our my 996 as one method.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:27 AM
P0RKY
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi, from Sydney - am currently stuck in Singapore due to work and Covid-19 but just became a first time Porsche owner after signing on the dotted line earlier in January at Porsche Centre Sydney South.
The following users liked this post:
SealG996 (01-27-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 11:11 PM
P0RKY
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi guys.

So, I thought I locked in the orders for my 992 and the Cayenne with Porsche Centre Sydney South when I was back home last month... so I thought. For reference, here are my build specs: PNG4WAJ1 (992) & PNL6AYC1 (Cayenne).

Sadly, YouTube can be a dangerous place for a weak-willed mind like mine, and now I'm harbouring sinful thoughts on adding LED Matrix headlights with PDLS+ to my builds. I've called the Sales Agent over at Alexandria, but I haven't gotten the info I was looking for: namely, how much different would that be, compared to the standard (already pretty good by all accounts) LED lights with PDLS/PDLS+.

I won't be doing much night-time driving on Sydney roads, but I do fancy a trip or two (specifically in the Cayenne) to the ski fields at Jindabyne, and of course, drives to the Hunter or Blue Mountains are high on the menu. My work will take me 50kms out and 50kms back on a daily basis when I'm finally permanently home in Sydney (I'm stuck back in Singapore at the moment), so there's a fair bit of distance to cover - however, most of that would be in early morning & evening light. Obviously, winter will play with the light, but I'll be on the M5 most of the way, so I guess there'll be decent illumination.

Given the above scenario, could I elicit some local knowledge and get you guys to "shine some light" (pardon the lame pun) on my conundrum please?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

P0RKY
SealG996 (02-16-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 07:46 AM
flyingfox
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melbourne here..

HI All,

From Melbourne here, just ordered the 992 GTS in Manual.. now the 12 month wait apparently.

Does anyone here know what the realistic wait times are?
Old 03-29-2022, 03:58 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 689 Likes on 438 Posts

Hey All,

A close friend of ours has a spare set of unneeded wing deletes in Aus, if anyone is interested or knows someone who is, I'll happily toss you the set at 50% off.

Feel free to PM or email me

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1fe2ad231b.jpg

Old 03-29-2022, 06:31 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU997
Cairns Q MY09 997.2 C2s MT with Chrono dash wart.
(Still a) Terminal DIY enthusiast
PSE side cans (12/2018. Well worth it)
Fabspeed Headers (5/2019. Love these)
TopGear X pipe (5/2020 ended up removing this, the note was just too grating at "attack" rpm's)
RS engine mounts (1/2019 I think these too, are starting to sag)
Bose Sub- lined with Dynamat (1/2019 OK)
IPD plenum (2/2022 installed with a lot of effort, does it do anything?)
Numeric shifter & cables (10/2019 Shifter is awesome. Yet to fit numeric cables)
H&R springs (2/2022 fitted with front bump steer toe arms, looks cool & did my first ever "string alignment", looking for rear bump steer toe arms)

Art is never finished, only temporarily abandoned.
Modification/works and thoughts on past works as at march 2022
New PCM ***** (10/2021 expensive but good)
Changed out the HPFP. (2/2021. it was failing over time, hard to start, running rough. Confirmed poor fuelling with graphing feature on Foxwell 530NT.
Not that hard, not that expensive for such a vital precision engine component.)

Brake job, full flush, replaced front discs, new pads all round. (2/2021, front discs were on the way out)
991.2 GT sports MF steering wheel. (10/2021. Love the look & feel. Very, very expensive, components from US, Canada, Hong Kong, Lithuania)
Radiator clean out. 5/2021
Service. 11/2020 Oil, filters.
Plugs, belt & belt tensioner. 1/2021

Special project.
Bought a second hand centre console to practice painting, leather wrapping & vinyl wrapping on.
I also might cut out the centre section of the console and fit a perspex window & LED's to display the Numeric shifter for the ultimate ricer effect.

Cheers,
CraigA
Old 08-05-2022, 09:47 PM
FiftyH
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi From Melb

Hey guys
Also based in Melbourne, have had many cars (10-15 so far) including P cars starting with a 987.1 Cayman S manual which got me into the love affair with Porsche.
Currently in a BMW M3 and a Macan GTS
If anyone knows of any Cayman GT4 allocations available in aus please let me know as i have (much too late) decided that is what i want to own long term but looks like i have left it too late as allocations are a struggle now.

Cheers

Last edited by FiftyH; 08-05-2022 at 09:49 PM.
davegoh (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 01:15 AM
davegoh
6th Gear

Hey guys, was a BMW guy for ages and just made the leap to get a 718 GT4! In Melbourne.

What a car! Got the whole thing PPF'd and love the drive. GT silver with CF light weight buckets. Gets a bit of attention! The front splitter is pretty low but have managed to avoid massive scrapes so far!

Have got the LWBS protectors, wireless adaptor for CarPlay and currently looking for an exhaust.

@FiftyH I asked multiple dealers for an allocation and got no luck, so ended up buying a second hand one from a dealer!

Is this the main forum for Porsche enthusiasts in Aus? Doesn't seem that busy compared to the BMW forums!

Anyway, nice to see some posts on the Aus section!

Cheers Dave
Old 08-15-2022, 01:54 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

I live in Australia and have been using this site since 2002. Use the boards in the US, a wealth of information. Welcome to Rennlist.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:35 AM
FiftyH
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davegoh
Hey guys, was a BMW guy for ages and just made the leap to get a 718 GT4! In Melbourne.

What a car! Got the whole thing PPF'd and love the drive. GT silver with CF light weight buckets. Gets a bit of attention! The front splitter is pretty low but have managed to avoid massive scrapes so far!

Have got the LWBS protectors, wireless adaptor for CarPlay and currently looking for an exhaust.

@FiftyH I asked multiple dealers for an allocation and got no luck, so ended up buying a second hand one from a dealer!

Is this the main forum for Porsche enthusiasts in Aus? Doesn't seem that busy compared to the BMW forums!

Anyway, nice to see some posts on the Aus section!

Cheers Dave
Awesome Dave - ive only found a few 2nd hand ones online and dealers all asking for significant overs vs RRP
Im in Melbourne too - would be good to check yours out one day - will DM you if i manage to pick one up
probably will have to bite the bullet and go that way but will see if the market softens abit first. Id happily buy lightly used for RRP but not 20-30k over.
Check out the JCR titanium exhaust - if/when i get the GT4, its the first thing ill order.

theres no real good australian section for porsches anywhere, but rennlist is a wealth of info overall. Even the porsche facebook group is pretty stale - you wont find these sorts of discussion there.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:00 AM
davegoh
6th Gear

Originally Posted by FiftyH
Awesome Dave - ive only found a few 2nd hand ones online and dealers all asking for significant overs vs RRP
Im in Melbourne too - would be good to check yours out one day - will DM you if i manage to pick one up
probably will have to bite the bullet and go that way but will see if the market softens abit first. Id happily buy lightly used for RRP but not 20-30k over.
Check out the JCR titanium exhaust - if/when i get the GT4, its the first thing ill order.

theres no real good australian section for porsches anywhere, but rennlist is a wealth of info overall. Even the porsche facebook group is pretty stale - you wont find these sorts of discussion there.
I paid just less than RRP but that was with a bit of haggling. I think if you add up all the options it adds up pretty quick!
20-30k is a bit excessive!

I saw that Macan GTS's are 12-18 months wait, and demos/used are going for 180-200k too which is insanity.

Yes definitely let me know if you get one! The JCR is nice - etuners in Melb said 10k installed. I am also looking at the Soul as well but JCR seems to be the best!

Cheers

Quick Reply: Does Anyone from Australia use this Site??