Notices

Question for Hong Kong Rennlisters

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for Hong Kong Rennlisters

My car is a 96 993 Targa with stock wheels.

I need to replace my tyres and I wanted to use N rated tyres. My local fitter in Sai Kung is checking availability although they didn't seem so knowlegeable when I mentioned the N rating requirement.

For N rated tyres what brand are you using and where did you have them fitted, a telephone number and address would be great as I need to order and get them fitted on Saturday as one of my rear tyres has developed a large bubble on the tread despite having a few mm left in tread depth.

I am aware that the following are recommended for 996 and couldn't find current references for 993 tyres and would be interested in your views:-

Pirelli P Zero N2 or P Zero Rosso N1
Bridgestone S02 or S03 - I am told these are not available anymore?
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N3 or N4
Yokohama Advanced Sport V103S N0 or N1

I am currently running on RE 050A tyres although I am told these are not N rated and I cannot locate an N number on the tyres so I guess that must be correct.

My Current Tyre sizes on standard Targa wheels:-

Rear: 255 40 VR17
Front: 205 50 WR17

Any info you can provide to locate a suitable fitter and stockist would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks . .. . .
Old 02-04-2010, 04:02 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

You'll find a number of resources on this forum if you search around under tires and "N0" or "N1". Basically the "N" designates a Porsche-approved variation of the tyre. It's by no means a prerequisite for street driving unless you're hellbent on running everything according to factory specs. It's also tough to find those in HK as vendors rarely carry N-rated inventory. (FWIW I track the non-N Corsa Systems just because the N ones are just too hard to come by...)

Of the choices you listed I'd recommend the Mich PS2s. I've run about 20k street miles on those between my BMW E92 and 997 RS. Very good balance of grip and comfort. There may not be a 205 for your front though--I guess you may be able to run 225 in the front but would leave that to the tire shop.

Sorry I don't know of the shops in Sai Kung but if you do venture to the HK side the Advan Shop in Tin Hau is decent in terms of service.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 AM
eyue
Racer

I know a tire shop on HK island ( phone # 25731367 ) do have N spec tire for Porsche, you could give him a ring .....
Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Thanks for everyone's help in my tyre search. I ended up going with the Michelin Pilot Sports (N3). Very good driving in torrential rain on Sunday, didn't get so much as a twitch from the rear so I'm happy so far.
I ended up getting the tyres from Jebson in the end as William cut me a deal on the fitting and got the price down to HK$9,300 for all four fitted and balanced. I'm not sure how that compares to the local tyre shops, I wanted to shop around but as I spend most of my week in China and the rear near side tyre was sporting a large ugly bubble I didn't really have the luxury of time.
He also offered the Pirelli P Zero Rosso's for 10,400 fitted, William reckoned that the Pilot sports were the best choice.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:23 AM
eyue
Racer

Good choice of tire ! I had Michelin PS before, nothing to complain at all .

Quick Reply: Question for Hong Kong Rennlisters