Notices

Drive from Thailand to Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:36 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pop. I'm using the non-Gert Bilsteins but had extra threads done on the shock body in Thailand. Car is now lower than what normal Bilsteins will do. These Bilsteins are available locally through various dealers and reasonably priced. Let me know if you want to know where to do the extra threading. You can do so much custom work here at reasonable prices.

BTW, how about early morning drive and coffee one of these weekends? Just morning drive would be OK but if you guys want to do a day long drive I'm dp for it as well. Let me know - can be Khao Yai or Pataya or Rayong or just coffee at Thonglo just to talk shop
Old 04-24-2007, 12:03 PM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pzull, good plan, this weekend I'm moving to my new place (fine weather for carrying boxes), the next one I'm off for a drive with the wife (long weekend) but after that......
Old 04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
POP993
Advanced

pzull & HJK: Just let me know when is best for you guys... I'm up for the morning drive & coffee.

pzull: if you car doesn't have the extra thread, the H&R springs alone is not enough to lowered it "properly"?

HJK: good luck with the new place. Enjoy!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:58 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by POP993
pzull & HJK: Just let me know when is best for you guys... I'm up for the morning drive & coffee.

pzull: if you car doesn't have the extra thread, the H&R springs alone is not enough to lowered it "properly"?

HJK: good luck with the new place. Enjoy!
Depends on what you mean by properly. The H&R springs lower the car from stock (which is like Cayenne height) but it wasn'y enough for me. More thread also means it wil be easier to get corner weights correct with the desired height.

Henk, anywhere exciting you driving to? Need ideas myself. Already Bored with roads to Khao Yai, Hua Hin, Pattaya, Kanchanaburi. Anywhere you know with winding B-roads in 250km radius? I love the mountain roads in Mae Hon Son and plann to do at least 2 drives this coming "winter"
Old 04-25-2007, 01:03 AM
HJK
Pro

Pzull, just got myself a garmin gps to figure those things out. Think we all do the same things. I just love the roads around mae hong song, pai, doi angkhan etc. but it's too far away for a quicky... hehe

The long weekend i haven't planned yet (due to the moving ****) if we can unpack all before the weekend, i might go up north, otherwise i don't know yet. Let's stay in touch.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:22 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Yeah Garmin GPS, best investment I made since coming here. Taken me all over Thailand. Just need to do quite a bit of trial and error with spelling though since there's no standard spelling of THai road names. And you need to glance at the screen every once in awhile nearing junctions as sometimes the unit (or programing of the map) treats a turn as though it was a straight road and the voice does not tell you to turn so you have to rely on the screen
Which model did you get?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 AM
HJK
Pro

Got the Mobile 20, combined with my treo phone, you're right with yr remarks, further more i think it's a pain to plan a trip since it needs all freakin address details instead of just chiang mai centre or so... anyways, i use it to track the drives in case i find a glorious one (hehe), i'm a bit worried of the speed indication though, 250 km/h on speedo is 228 on the garmin which would be within 10% but problem is that the car won't go faster then 270 which should be real i think/hope/pray/beg so I gotta figure that out a bit more.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 AM
HJK
Pro

btw i was wondering to ask the gadget shop if the can provide a file with state/city/street as it is in the software to speed up route planning, will let you know.
Henk
Old 04-26-2007, 08:44 AM
POP993
Advanced

Henk: Just curious, where do you go for the 250-270 km/h run????
Old 04-26-2007, 09:40 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

On my street pilot I am able to search by various categories not just street addresses. Some categories being:
1) Fuel Stations
2) Places of Interest
3) Food
4) Name of Place
5) Diferenct City and State searches

No PC version of Thai Map so quite difficult to use the Garmin PC software to do route planning. There are models of Garmin that allow you to do that but interface is an issue. Mine's touch screen and very user friendly even while driving to do searches.

My Garmin has shown top speed of 400+kmh on Satorn Rd before Heheh.....driving in a canyon of tall buildings sometimes makes the unit go crazy as the signal bounces randomly off the buildings and the unit thinks i'm zipping around at crazy speeds.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 PM
POP993
Advanced

Guys, you both have a PM form me.

Quick Reply: Drive from Thailand to Malaysia