Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Asia-Pacific (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific-100/)
-   -   Any Rennlisters from New Zealand? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific/246405-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand.html)

John McM 12-28-2013 01:04 AM

Paul, how are you downsizing the photos? I seen to lose the quality in the pics by sharing to the cloud then posting on the iPad.

kiwi 911 12-28-2013 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11007121)
Paul, how are you downsizing the photos? I seen to lose the quality in the pics by sharing to the cloud then posting on the iPad.

I don't know how to do on an iPad. I use microsoft picture manager on my lap top.

John McM 12-28-2013 01:28 AM

Short video of star arrangement

John McM 12-28-2013 02:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kissing cousins

Macca 12-28-2013 03:49 AM

Guys the photos are great. Fantastic to finally see some 993 action on these boards. I've been the lone crusader far too long! Great to see Scott & Mike out there - wish I could have joined you (but Im having far too much fun here Im afraid LOL).

The 993 is just gorgeous and in Polar silver even more so (its my favorite colour for a stock 993 followed by Midnight Blue). Those curves and lines (and the wheel design) are a stroke of genius. Art on wheels. The Silver shows it up well.

David, you're a Dag. I see you tried to disguise yourself with a different cap! Love the 997.2GT3RS colour inspired bike by the way. Im a bike lover - have a couple hanging on the wall in the storage unit including a vintage custom Cannondale 3.0 (from when they were made in USA) and a mint original Porsche Bike FS. I should commission you to build me something special. A multi media art bike. I dont really ride much these days...

Paul, what set up did you decide was best for you?

PS. Those plastic headlight protectors look odd with those black things. Kills the smooth look of one of the cars key features IMHO - the "new" in 1993 headlights with projectors. Maybe remove them and when you order your stuff from FDMotorsports get them to throw is a pair of the precut thick 3M invinsishield ones (clear plastic). I have them and they work real well. Just an idea...

Maxem 12-28-2013 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11007254)
Guys the photos are great. Fantastic to finally see some 993 action on these boards. I've been the lone crusader far too long! Great to see Scott & Mike out there - wish I could have joined you (but Im having far too much fun here Im afraid LOL).

The 993 is just gorgeous and in Polar silver even more so (its my favorite colour for a stock 993 followed by Midnight Blue). Those curves and lines (and the wheel design) are a stroke of genius. Art on wheels. The Silver shows it up well.

David, you're a Dag. I see you tried to disguise yourself with a different cap! Love the 997.2GT3RS colour inspired bike by the way. Im a bike lover - have a couple hanging on the wall in the storage unit including a vintage custom Cannondale 3.0 (from when they were made in USA) and a mint original Porsche Bike FS. I should commission you to build me something special. A multi media art bike. I dont really ride much these days...

PS. Those plastic headlight protectors look odd with those black things. Kills the smooth look of one of the cars key features IMHO - the "new" in 1993 headlights with projectors. Maybe remove them and when you order your stuff from FDMotorsports get them to throw is a pair of the precut thick 3M invinsishield ones (clear plastic). I have them and they work real well. Just an idea...

Yeah, didn't think I could stuff a poor cousin red 964 between those silver beauties, so I cycled in. Trek District, carbon belt drive. Silent and smooth. Sport Classic grey.

mikee6421 12-28-2013 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11007056)
Nice to meet you today Mike.

Yours is a lovely car and a well sorted example. I am sold on the ride height and the ride quality.

Cheers
Paul

Thanks and likewise Paul. Magic to see 3 nearly identical 993s together. Good to hear the HD/H&R setup was to you liking. Thanks to John for playing host and persuading Scott to bring out his car.

Maxem 12-28-2013 04:24 AM

The cap! Yes, upon departing home on the bike I consciously chose a non camo version to avoid suspicion if someone's cup 2's went missing during the photo shoot.

kiwi 911 12-28-2013 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11007254)

Macca,

I don't think I need to go a far as coil overs for the 993, so looking at the Biltien options. I have read somewhere that one type of suspension wears out quickly - not sure which option this was??

I agree with the light lenses. There are lots of detailing things I need to do to get the car sorted, you will see the bottom valance is slightly stoved in, and the list and $20K later goes on.........

Today is only the 4th time I have driven the car, and it was driving a lot better after a Conti's service.........

The first priority was to establish no immediate maintenance was needed, and the car has passed a clean bill of health.

When you are in town, I will buy you a beer and we can make a list of items and suppliers.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and my 993 will be taking inspiration from the Panteen ad "it won't happen over night but it will happen"..........

Macca 12-28-2013 01:45 PM

Paul. Good stuff mate. I think you are doing the right thing. Research the heck out of it first then plan then progress. Great news that CCS gave it a thumps up. I think you bought a good one.

P.S. I have some brand new never used H&R springs for 993 C2 if you go that way.
PPS. I think all struts need rebuilding after so many years use depenant on type of driving done (i.e. track vs road etc). These cars are back heavy and give out alot of heat back there so gas shock rubber seals and gaskets can eventually fail....

Macca 12-28-2013 01:45 PM

Paul. Good stuff mate. I think you are doing the right thing. Research the heck out of it first then plan then progress. Great news that CCS gave it a thumps up. I think you bought a good one.

P.S. I have some brand new never used H&R springs for 993 C2 if you go that way.
PPS. I think all struts need rebuilding after so many years use dependent on type of driving done (i.e. track vs road etc). These cars are back heavy and give out alot of heat back there so gas shock rubber seals and gaskets can eventually fail....

Macca 12-28-2013 01:46 PM

PPS. I think all struts need rebuilding after so many years use depenant on type of driving done (i.e. track vs road etc). These cars are back heavy and give out alot of heat back there so gas shock rubber seals and gaskets can eventually fail....

Macca 12-28-2013 02:09 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures from today. Not great weather Im afraid, after yesterdays perfect day we now head North into the weather band that is talked about on the TV, into Switzerland again (cold!). Pleasant scenery of course and we are relishing the cool temperature because in Vanuatu when we arrive in two weeks time it will be 35 Celcius and 90% humidity! Yikes!

Today we visited Regis & Helen in Montelimar on our way North to Geneva. Very cool to catch up with a fellow 991 owner (991S PDK - gorgeous car, massive specification, only 8500km from new!). Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate but even so after an expresso Regis took the the wheel and showed me some of the local roads giving the car a run to understand how it differs from the 991S, even in the wet i think he had some fun!). Here is a picture of myself (5kg+ now added due to great Italian and french cooking - chubby face my wife now calls me!) and Regis and his gorgeous wife Helen. I hope he doesnt mind...very kind people and the invite was totally out of the blue and via Rennlist a few days ago...

Other pictures here include the scenic alpine asses up into Switzerland and the atrocious weather we hit about 100km from Geneva. The 991 GT3 didnt miss a beat - its really a great do all car handing traffic, touring, fast switchbacks and I assume race tracks (TBA) with aplomb! Those MPSC2 tyres are pretty good for summer rubber even in 4-5C with poring rain and snow on the side of the road...see last few pictures....

For the first time at 3000km I put some oil in the car (400ml Mobil 1 0W-40 kindly donated by Regis. This brought the level up to the recommended factory fill when the car was delivered. Handbook says oil and fuel consumption may be higher in first 3000km due to running in. So 400ml seemed good. Handbook also says up to 800ml per 1000km oil consumption - that seems high - its not a diesel!).

This trip is nearing an end. Zurich tomorrow and HK for New years eve and a spot of shopping (not sure there is any space left really as wife has added around 15kg to our luggage already in Xmas presents for family back home!).....

John McM 12-28-2013 03:04 PM

Macca, again it's good to live vicariously through the blog, although I couldn't or didn't want to picture "scenic alpine asses" ;)

Yesterday here was a good example of the wider use of Rennlist. There's a Singer thread on the 964 forum, which is going South rapidly, but equally the forum allowed some 993 drivers to share their passion yesterday, in person, as you have with Regis & Helen. All good.

What are your plans in the few days in NZ? I'm happy to host a meet at my place if there's a time that works. Not sure of the others movements but it worked well yesterday as a meeting point.

Macca 12-28-2013 05:07 PM

John. A general catch up would be a great plan. Paul, could cover the 993 stuff off at same time might be a good idea. I land Sat afternoon, pick up the 993 and fly out again Wed morning. Sunday lunch could work? Over to you and the others I guess but keen to catch up if an opportunity is present. Nothing I love more than talking Porsches (ok, almost nothing I love more....LOL)!