PORSCHE CAYENNE S 2012 Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 07:28 AM
DIMTSE
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PORSCHE CAYENNE S 2012 Air Suspension

Hi All,

It seems my air suspension started leaking after noise at the air compressor and 85,000km. The car lowers (only the front part) at random times without changing the setting.

There is also a note in the computer that higher position for the suspension failed.

Any advice on what is wrong and where I can repair the air suspension, buy a compressor or replace with Bilstein air suspension?

Thank you all in advance.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:08 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DIMTSE
Hi All,

It seems my air suspension started leaking after noise at the air compressor and 85,000km. The car lowers (only the front part) at random times without changing the setting.

There is also a note in the computer that higher position for the suspension failed.

Any advice on what is wrong and where I can repair the air suspension, buy a compressor or replace with Bilstein air suspension?

Thank you all in advance.
Which of those front shock lower? Both left and right or only one of them?

If only one side, that individual shock or lines have some leak? If both, could be valve block near the compressor is faulty.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:12 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Had the exact same problem on my '12 CT. Turned out to be an air leak in one of the front struts. I also was hearing a noise from the air compressor, but nothing was wrong with it once the leak has been fixed. The air compressor in this generation is more reliable than the older one.

On mine now of the rears has starting leaking, but it's not as bad and the system is working fine for now. These are one of the weakest parts on the 958s.
The following users liked this post:
rnlst_log (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 05:28 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CTT-QTR
Had the exact same problem on my '12 CT. Turned out to be an air leak in one of the front struts. I also was hearing a noise from the air compressor, but nothing was wrong with it once the leak has been fixed. The air compressor in this generation is more reliable than the older one.

On mine now of the rears has starting leaking, but it's not as bad and the system is working fine for now. These are one of the weakest parts on the 958s.
Did you replace whole strut or only bag?
Me too in Doha.
The following users liked this post:
CTT-QTR (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 05:27 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rnlst_log
Did you replace whole strut or only bag?
Me too in Doha.
Nice to meet a fellow member from Doha!

Although one was faulty and I didn't want (and the dealer) to do guess work of where the air was leaking from. So, I opted to change both whole struts at the same time as it's always good to do things in pair for suspension related components.
I blame my driving style in those early years of ownership and you know we had some nice streets back then. No issues whatsoever since I replaced them 6 years ago. Now the rears started to go bad.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:46 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Nice to meet a fellow member from Doha!

Although one was faulty and I didn't want (and the dealer) to do guess work of where the air was leaking from. So, I opted to change both whole struts at the same time as it's always good to do things in pair for suspension related components.
I blame my driving style in those early years of ownership and you know we had some nice streets back then. No issues whatsoever since I replaced them 6 years ago. Now the rears started to go bad.
Its a matter of time that the rear will eventually go bad.
Make sure the valve block is not the culprit before the struts.
I have piwis 3 setup ready if you ever need it.
Cheers.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:06 PM
paulsp
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '12 Cayenne S, the suspension has been a bit slow to react in the mornings but was getting there after about 2-3 mins, took it on a trip and it was working fine, however the next day it is now stuck in the lowest position. I put it on a scanner and the front left strut is way lower than the others which makes me think it's got a leak and preventing the other 3 from going up ( or else it would be completly lopsided ) I've asked my mechanic to investigate.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:40 AM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

compared to other air suspensions, its very good, much more reliable than other car makers, but def has its faults. If you want to save a lot of money, they sell these struts on aliexpress for like $250 each which is a MASSIVE savings. They have good ratings and a lot of sales as well. Ofcourse you cant trust the ratings but the sales mean that they probably work pretty well if a lot of people are buying them.

I know this is not the same, but i recently replaced my rear powered liftgate struts with ones from china/aliexpress, and not only do they look EXACTLY like the porsche ones, they operate the same exact way as well. Same speed of liftgate opening, can adjust how high it opens, and every single thing the porsche ones did these ones do exactly the same way at 1/3rd the price. The real test will be seeing how long they last. Time will tell, but the parts im seeing come out of china now are pretty impressive. Def not the chinese quality of the past/early 2000's.

aliexpress listing selling all 4 struts seperately w/ 2 year warranty if your interested - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22518...d=qBgNmAu7PVM0

Last edited by mikescayenne; 10-01-2023 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE CAYENNE S 2012 Air Suspension