Sponsored by:

Suggestions on Oil Pressure Gauge & Sender Unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Suggestions on Oil Pressure Gauge & Sender Unit

I'm looking to add an additional Oil Pressure monitoring system to my car(2006 997,1S) for track days. Ideally, I'd find a gauge that fits in the Sport Chrono Dash mount and is wired to a separate pressure sender unit than the OE system. Any suggestions on where to mount the second sender unit?

I've been looking at this digital gauge:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=504

Another direction is to install a Solo DL with a new sender unit but this may be overkill for my needs.

Thanks

-Mark
Old 07-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

A Solo DL will not accept external sensors, so that's not an option.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

But couldn't I replace the stock sensor with something better that feeds back into the ecu for the solo?
Old 07-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
But couldn't I replace the stock sensor with something better that feeds back into the ecu for the solo?
The stock ECU will only accept the stock sensor.

What problem/issue are you having? What are you trying to solve?
Old 07-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

My m97 experiences pressure drops during sustained right hand sweepers. My research has led me to. Slice it's an issue with the scavenger pumps inability to return oil fast enough to supply the main pump. Ideally I can have a more accurate gauge to see what is going on so I can modify my driving style to minimize this. The pressure doesn't drop all the way out but it's reduced which means I need to watch rpms when it happens. I've been experimenting with trying to keep the rpms higher entering the turn which enables the pressure bypass to keep the main pump with a better supply but the stock gauge is so dampened, I just need more accurate readings.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
My m97 experiences pressure drops during sustained right hand sweepers. My research has led me to. Slice it's an issue with the scavenger pumps inability to return oil fast enough to supply the main pump. Ideally I can have a more accurate gauge to see what is going on so I can modify my driving style to minimize this. The pressure doesn't drop all the way out but it's reduced which means I need to watch rpms when it happens. I've been experimenting with trying to keep the rpms higher entering the turn which enables the pressure bypass to keep the main pump with a better supply but the stock gauge is so dampened, I just need more accurate readings.
EVO4S. Good and cheap.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You've probably seen this thread then https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...mp-system.html

If you just want to read the oil pressure from the factory gauge along with RPM, then a DL would work great with a CAN connection. http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...-2_102_eng.pdf I could loan you one if you wanted to try before you buy.

If you want to add another sensor, then an Evo4S with a GS Dash would be great. You'd be able to get the factory sensor values and add another (or 2) oil pressure sensors. That would all be available on the GS Dash along with alarms. You could set the alarms as a progression of colors of number of lights to tell you when the pressure starts to drop. I can think of some pretty cool ways display this info.

Let me know if you want some pricing or I can help in any other way.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Not looking to derail the OP, but have a follow-on question wrt the 996 GT3.

The gauges are somewhat obscured from vision with my cup wheel, and well, I guess 2 things could go wrong - low oil pressure, or a coolant leak (even more likely). I assume the latter would quickly spike coolant temp - or maybe not?

In any case, what would be the best 996 compatible way to add bright warning light(s) for low oil pressure, and maybe also high coolant temp?

Thanks in advance, and again, not looking to go far OT. Just wondering what's compatible with the 996 gen interface.

CHeers

Matt
Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

The gauges are somewhat obscured from vision with my cup wheel, and well, I guess 2 things could go wrong - low oil pressure, or a coolant leak (even more likely). I assume the latter would quickly spike coolant temp - or maybe not?

In any case, what would be the best 996 compatible way to add bright warning light(s) for low oil pressure, and maybe also high coolant temp?

Thanks in advance, and again, not looking to go far OT. Just wondering what's compatible with the 996 gen interface.

CHeers

Matt
996 Cup did not come with data, AFAIK. Some US cars had AiM added later. Some overseas cars receiveg early MoTeC installs.

So, the best, simplest way to add these excellent and to-the-point "idiot lights" is simple JEG's or other senders and lights you can install on the dash or above the dash. Temp senders above a certain temp? Pressure below a number and the light comes on. Easy!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

CHeers

Matt
I assume you have a street GT3 based on your avatar. Like Peter says, a separate sender with idiot light is probably the cheapest way. If you wanted to add some data, an Evo4S with GS Dash and two pressure sensors is the cheapest solution that will give you warning (and data). Better than coolant temp, you can run coolant pressure to see if/when there is a leak.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Peter, Matt, thank you.

Yes, it's a street GT3, not cup, that sees mostly track. Just thinking extra peace of mind.

Data at some point for sure, will reach out to you when I'm ready.

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: Suggestions on Oil Pressure Gauge & Sender Unit