Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Will Never Again Drive My Porsche On The Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

991 clutch is only for starting and stopping the car. When under way it shifts up and down with paddles only
Old 07-02-2017, 02:03 PM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Now you understand first-hand the magic!
Amazing, absolutely amazing.

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Chris great to read your write up on your first experience with the Cup I remember the first session I did in my 996 Cup a few years ago simply amazing. As an ex Long Islander who ran away to Florida back in 1987 I enjoy having Sebring as my home track if you ever head down here let me know.
Rich
Rich, thank you very much. Awesome that you have those memories. For sure, I will let you know when we make it out to the right coast.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Great post!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Coochas
I'm thinking someone is excited.
Congrats on your new ride. Enjoy!
Thanks, super excited. In the paddock everyone is telling me they can just see it in the smile on my face. This is an awesome sport with amazing people.

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Great headline, even better write-up. Looks like you are on quite the journey.
Rick, thanks so much. A journey is really what this is.

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Loved reading this, thanks for sharing and wishing you guys nothing but the best with the beautiful new cars!!! @JLanka, will you be at David Murry at NJMP with it?
Paul, very glad you enjoyed and thank you.

Originally Posted by jlanka
@Paul - I pretty much just do Metro DE's, have to keep the wife happy and such... Unfortunately that doesn't give me nearly enough seat time and delays my foray into racing... I'll have to figure something out to increase my track days.

@Chris, what is the clutch situation in the 991 cup? It has paddles no? But also still has a manual clutch?

The clutch in the 997 is very heavily sprung and only has about 3 inches of travel. Also the engagement point is like an on/off switch, very difficult to get moving.

I actually had an interesting first session, the toe link had been rubbing against the wheel and at turn 2 T-bolt I had a "blow out" and pulled into the grass. They black flagged the session and towed me in. Turns out the wheel broke in half. We roto-zipped the toe links so they weren't so close to the wheel. Luckily the tire shop in town was able to take off the broken wheel and use a wheel from my rains so I was good to go for the next day.
Have you tried taking your wife to a DE, she might really enjoy it and then you can go to more events.

Yep, paddles. Clutch is for taking off.

That is an interesting first session for sure. Sounds like there are many of those. Really adds character to the sport.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
991 clutch is only for starting and stopping the car. When under way it shifts up and down with paddles only
This ^^^^^

I did notice that I can get to N with a pull of both paddles at same time, I wonder if this can be done without using the clutch, would be easier to come to a stop.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I see car up on jack . Do you have the wand for air jacks? SOOOO many thing you need for a 991 cup. Im still learning the Cosworth system. And after 47 new tools, we are almost comfortable supporting it. Almost....... Hell of a car though. STUPID fast. Congrats and have fun. MAKE SURE YOUR SUPPORT PEOPLE KNOW A 991 Cup (things like YOU MUST run some tape on center radiator most of the time or system too cold and stuff blows up). IMSA even tells us the color of the tape so all cars look alike.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:22 PM
trader247
Instructor

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
I see car up on jack . Do you have the wand for air jacks? SOOOO many thing you need for a 991 cup. Im still learning the Cosworth system. And after 47 new tools, we are almost comfortable supporting it. Almost....... Hell of a car though. STUPID fast. Congrats and have fun. MAKE SURE YOUR SUPPORT PEOPLE KNOW A 991 Cup (things like YOU MUST run some tape on center radiator most of the time or system too cold and stuff blows up). IMSA even tells us the color of the tape so all cars look alike.
Thanks Bob. I am sure they have an air wand. This was just a small gathering to get familiar with the car. Thanks for the info about the tape. I know they have several 997's, many SBP's and GT4's. I am the only one or one of the few 991's. It was 100 degrees in the desert when we went, so hopefully no tape needed, but I hear you and will certainly make sure.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:21 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Chris, fantastic story and I had the exact same experience on Monday and Tuesday at NJMP Lightning with my 997.1. Strange that we're in sync on this. I also spun her on the left hander, luckily I just ran into the grass.

Some pics: (I have to credit the first 2 from Brian Azara photography)
I appreciate the credit on those photos.

The car looked great.

I was partial to this one:

Old 07-05-2017, 03:28 PM
PhillyGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome post and hope to see your car a the track! I just had my first track day at NJMP a few weeks ago!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:45 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by brianja
I appreciate the credit on those photos.

The car looked great.

I was partial to this one:
Yeah all your pics were fantastic. Thanks a lot.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2017, 03:56 AM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So a couple of weeks ago at Streets of Willow was your last time in the turbo, eh?? You and Dan get to work on learning the new cup - congratulations!! See you at Laguna!!
Old 07-06-2017, 02:50 PM
trader247
Instructor

Originally Posted by johneecatt
So a couple of weeks ago at Streets of Willow was your last time in the turbo, eh?? You and Dan get to work on learning the new cup - congratulations!! See you at Laguna!!
That was it. I am now spoiled. Had the Cup out the first time last weekend at Streets. Can't go back to the street car

We will be at Laguna on Thursday 8/3, see you there. Trying to get a couple of more Cup days in before that.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:15 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by trader247
Today my life has changed.

I Will Never Again Drive My (street) Porsche On The Track.

Well, my street Porsche that is

I acquired a 991 Cup last month and prior to taking the Cup to the track, have been training in my street car to get some initially track time and training. I did four track days last month in my TTS with coaching and support everyday.

Today was the day to take out the big dog. Oh my gosh The Cup car is no joke ;0

I was a bit intimidated at first. I had been studying like a mad man. Today was the day. I didn't get to go on the track for my first run. My first run was practicing the use of the clutch, going to N and Not ever keeping the clutch in too long as that will trash the throw out bearing

My very first Cup drive instructions (from my coach), get ready..... was to go get some gas and drive around the parking lot area.

Okay, time to check any ego that I thought I had left. This was a very good thing. With Cups, one must make sure the clutch is engaged when firing her up, as the N indicator is not something to stake ones or others safety on, check. Next, don't leave the clutch engaged more than a few seconds as will trash the TO bearing, check. Next, when shifting from N to 1, sometimes the clutch will not engage, so just unload the clutch as shifting to 1, then engage clutch and take off. But keep revs at 3-4 k.Did I mention that this thing revs up like a screaming banshee. 5k, 6k, 2k.....Where the heck is 3k.....stall, stall, stall....Now I am getting a bit intimidated. Maybe this is not for me....Got a clean clutch engagement at a semi good 4k, zoom, zoom.....Oh wait, this thing has a crazy steering radius, crazy. I leave the fuel pumps and now am next to the fence (boy this thing does not steer very tight Stall, stall... Did I mention that I am solo on this fuel excursion. I just want to get back to the paddock.

Okay, time to get this throttle dialed in. Mission accomplished. Back at paddock. Time for first run. I am strapped in. Make a good exit from paddock to pit. At the pit, I am held up, omg. 1 minute, 2 minute, 3 minute....****, my water temp light is on. A bring over the starter, I gotta go...He says wait, they are almost done I am gonna get you a full run. Did I mention, that it is difficult to hear in a Cup I shut her down. Thanks starter guy. Time to cross from pit to paddock. "we got high temps". Bring her in. Car up on jacks, we got hot....Oh, did I mention no cooling fan in the Cup Cooling comes when you are moving. I should have shut her down as soon as there was a delay on pit. Shi, how many degrees is this, it is in freakin Celsius. Time to break out google for the Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion. Good, not too hot, just hot....Let her cool down, check for leaks. All good, but the first run is done Time to wait for next run.

Next run....Good to go....Got out for my first laps in the Cup. OMG, this thing is the most awesome machine on the planet. The steering is just point and shoot. The grip is next level. I am now spoiled. My TTS or any other street car for that matter will never see a track day with me behind the wheel. This is an amazing journey. I look forward to meeting many of you at Laguna in August.

I just had to share. I love cars, I love race cars and some day will enjoy racing race cars.

Thanks for reading,

Chris
Chris, great write up, you touch on many of the initial emotions/expectations/experiences that most can't comprehend until they get into a proper race car.
I'm sure that one you gut up to speed, you were in heaven! There's nothing better than jumping into a race car with slicks for the first time if you have been tracking your street cars.....happy for you that you made the switch!

Congrats again and good luck with the car!

James

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com

Quick Reply: I Will Never Again Drive My Porsche On The Track