Sponsored by:

Should these rotors be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
replace. - do the math. rotor cost divided by current # of days = cost per day. balance the cost of squeezing one more day against the damage to car or your body if you wreck due to failure. why fool about ? its a safety thing. never run motorsports gear to the very life.
Well said
Old 06-29-2017, 07:46 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Berringer
I saw the ad. Unfortunately those don't fit my car
Old 06-29-2017, 10:57 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I've always gone by the book, and have never had a problem. The cracks must connect the holes or extend to the outer or inner margins. These don't meet those criteria. I'd change them out if I were going to a long event or to a brake intensive track rather than change them at the track. I also don't use cross drilled rotors anymore. I'm using my first set of Girodiscs and really like them.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I've always gone by the book, and have never had a problem. The cracks must connect the holes or extend to the outer or inner margins. These don't meet those criteria. I'd change them out if I were going to a long event or to a brake intensive track rather than change them at the track. I also don't use cross drilled rotors anymore. I'm using my first set of Girodiscs and really like them.
Experiences will vary. I had drilled rotors fail once even though the holes were not connected at the previous inspection - ugly! Agreed that slotted rotors are the way to go.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:51 PM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

other than giro disc rotors which are great by the way, what other rotors are out there for track spec caymans? on my last set of giro's i got 22-25 days out of them.
but my current car came with new stock rotors and im gonna burn them up then decide what to do.
stock rotors are way cheaper but well see how long they last. using pagid r29s all around.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:51 PM
GSM
Track Day

Just had a Centric slotted rotor crack on me at Blackhawk Farms (I run an e36 m3) - see attached pic. When I started my day there was small checking; after 4x 25 min sessions I had a significant crack. Fortunately at the end of the day, but would have been a downer if I had to shut down earlier. Replacing with OEM blanks.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by C-gt3
other than giro disc rotors which are great by the way, what other rotors are out there for track spec caymans? on my last set of giro's i got 22-25 days out of them.
but my current car came with new stock rotors and im gonna burn them up then decide what to do.
stock rotors are way cheaper but well see how long they last. using pagid r29s all around.
I use OEM slotted rotors but have a track prepped 996tt - they last forever with Rs29 or RS14 - i had giro discs and didn't notice a difference so went back to OEM (ebro actually)
Old 06-29-2017, 11:10 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Agreed - the original pics look fine for some number of more days' DE based on the factory recommendations (and my experience). All things equal, if that was 10 days of DE, then there's probably 2 more weekends of use subject to inspection.

Originally Posted by GSM
Just had a Centric slotted rotor crack on me at Blackhawk Farms (I run an e36 m3) - see attached pic. When I started my day there was small checking; after 4x 25 min sessions I had a significant crack. Fortunately at the end of the day, but would have been a downer if I had to shut down earlier. Replacing with OEM blanks.

That's scary. Based on the wear otherwise apparent, this was a defect/abnormal failure.

Originally Posted by Jferrante
I use OEM slotted rotors but have a track prepped 996tt - they last forever with Rs29 or RS14 - i had giro discs and didn't notice a difference so went back to OEM (ebro actually)
Yeah, I'm running Sebro slotted too (Cayenne 350mm slotted). So far so good, and low $$ for a such a consumable so you don't feel too bad chucking them when badly cracked vs. worn down.

Good luck!

Matt
Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

replace. - do the math. rotor cost divided by current # of days = cost per day. balance the cost of squeezing one more day against the damage to car or your body if you wreck due to failure. why fool about ? its a safety thing. never run motorsports gear to the very life.
Fully agree.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:22 PM
GSM
Track Day

That's scary. Based on the wear otherwise apparent, this was a defect/abnormal failure
Fortunately it did not end in a scare for me, but I offer it as an example to the OP - rotors can heat cycle out. When I started my day I could not catch a fingernail on any of the small checks, none of which extended to the rotor edge. Was an interesting learning for me - and this sport has no end of interesting lessons!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:13 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I changed them out for another set of Sebro drilled because I couldn't get the Giros in time.

I'll burn these up and then make the switch.

Thanks for the discussion.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 AM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts

Pads brand and model can have a profound affect on rotor wear too.

Some pads wear rotors very gently while others are very aggressive.

This is not in direct proportion to how aggressive or how well the pads hold up either. And, what works for one person or on one particular car does not typically work on another application the same.

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 06-30-2017, 01:14 PM
987part
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ed@Demonspeed
Pads brand and model can have a profound affect on rotor wear too.

Some pads wear rotors very gently while others are very aggressive.

This is not in direct proportion to how aggressive or how well the pads hold up either. And, what works for one person or on one particular car does not typically work on another application the same.

Thanks

Ed
I run front pagid rs 14/ black on gt3 calipers in my cayman S gtb1

Pedal is soft

Im thinking to switch brand ...
Old 06-30-2017, 03:29 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

We wrote an article on this topic last summer. It gives some basic guidelines on when to replace iron disc rings:

When is it Time to Replace my Iron Brake Discs?
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 06-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Totally agree Steve. If anything it makes me feel better to change things like pads/rotors/tires earlier than later. All you need is ONE failure.

Quick Reply: Should these rotors be replaced?