Sponsored by:

F1 Baku SPOILERS HEREIN

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:17 AM
TM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIA F1 sporting code:
39.13 When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be sent to all teams via the official messaging system and the car's orange lights will be extinguished. This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.
At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.
In order to avoid the likelihood of accidents before the safety car returns to the pits, from the point at which the lights on the car are turned out drivers must proceed at a pace which involves no erratic acceleration or braking nor any other manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart.
As the safety car is approaching the pit entry the yellow flags and SC boards will be withdrawn and, other than on the last lap of the race, replaced by waved green flags with green lights at the Line. These will be displayed until the last car crosses the Line.
I'm sure HAM didn't hit the brake but he did lift the throttle on a hybrid F1 (deceleration apr. 1.5g).
Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
I'm not sure that Vettel intentionally bumped Hamilton. VET pulled along side HAM and when VET turned his head to look at HAM and make a rude gesture, he may have unintentionally drifted into HAM. Possible? Remember, your car goes where you look.

I'm not a VET apologist, just considering alternatives.
I watched the interview with Vettel a couple of times, and am convinced that he didn't intentionally hit Hamilton when he was alongside, and didn't realize how hard the inadvertent hit was because he was so angry. But I don't think Hamilton brake checked him, so the blame goes to Vettel for the rear-ender. The penalty of 10s seems reasonable to me.

I don't think street circuits make much sense for racing in the modern era, especially with such fast cars, but I enjoyed the unpredictability of the race and was happy for Stroll.

Unfortunate that Verstappen has been so hampered by cars this year which don't work. Put him in cars that are truly competitive and he'll be making life hell for the old timers.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:30 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I watched the interview with Vettel a couple of times, and am convinced that he didn't intentionally hit Hamilton when he was alongside, and didn't realize how hard the inadvertent hit was because he was so angry. But I don't think Hamilton brake checked him, so the blame goes to Vettel for the rear-ender. The penalty of 10s seems reasonable to me.

I don't think street circuits make much sense for racing in the modern era, especially with such fast cars, but I enjoyed the unpredictability of the race and was happy for Stroll.

Unfortunate that Verstappen has been so hampered by cars this year which don't work. Put him in cars that are truly competitive and he'll be making life hell for the old timers.
Fort the sake of a good debate - do you really believe that for one moment? Really?!

Vettel got pissed and smacked Hammy. He knows it and just about everyone watching it knows that as well.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Fort the sake of a good debate - do you really believe that for one moment? Really?!

Vettel got pissed and smacked Hammy. He knows it and just about everyone watching it knows that as well.
If you watch the video, it looked like an intentional hit. But when I watch the interview, Vettel's apparent inability to understand that the question was focused on the second hit makes me think it was unintentional.

No one knows (or can know) for sure what was going through Vettel's mind - not even Vettel, since much decision-making takes place at a subconscious level and strong emotions can cloud perceptions.

But looking at what happened without trying to read Vettel's mind, I think the 10s penalty was fair, and an even bigger penalty would have been justified. As Hamilton said, that type of conduct sets a very bad precedent if not penalized heavily.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:54 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

If you watch the video, it looked like an intentional hit. But when I watch the interview, Vettel's apparent inability to understand that the question was focused on the second hit makes me think it was unintentional.

No one knows (or can know) for sure what was going through Vettel's mind - not even Vettel, since much decision-making takes place at a subconscious level and strong emotions can cloud perceptions.

But looking at what happened without trying to read Vettel's mind, I think the 10s penalty was fair, and an even bigger penalty would have been justified. As Hamilton said, that type of conduct sets a very bad precedent if not penalized heavily.
I watched his interview and had a completely different interpretation of his answers, or lack thereof. He avoided Buxton's questions about the alleged intentional hit because he knows both the FIA and Ferrari are listening and he is probably going to have to give each an explanation.

I know the car goes where the eyes go but that was a hard hit. I believe it was too hard of a hit to chalk up to drifting over because he was looking that way.

That's my take on it.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I know the car goes where the eyes go but that was a hard hit. I believe it was too hard of a hit to chalk up to drifting over because he was looking that way.

That's my take on it.
When you're alongside a car trying to make angry hand gestures, the car may not go where intended. For example, I've seen students unintentionally swerve numerous times when giving point-bys, usually in the direction opposite of where they pointed.

I don't know with any certainty what Vettel intended, but what I've stated is my best guess based on the video evidence and his testimony under cross-examination. I can't find him guilty based on a preponderance of evidence, but I still consider him liable for his actions regardless of intent.

(Yes, the wording is intended as bait for the lawyers in this thread )
Old 06-26-2017, 11:24 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh PLEASE!! He ran into the side of Hamilton intentionally. He knew he did it and he knows he was wrong for doing in the eyes of the FIA, although probably feels what he did was justified. IF he had in inadvertently bumped him while giving the hand gesture, he would have said just that during the interview with Buxton. Instead, he danced around the question, trying fain misinterpreting the question and placing blame on Hamilton. If, as you say, he's not sure what is going through his mind and unable to understand clear questions, then he shouldn't be in a F1 car or racing at all. The guy's a tool.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
Oh PLEASE!! He ran into the side of Hamilton intentionally. He knew he did it and he knows he was wrong for doing in the eyes of the FIA, although probably feels what he did was justified. IF he had in inadvertently bumped him while giving the hand gesture, he would have said just that during the interview with Buxton. Instead, he danced around the question, trying fain misinterpreting the question and placing blame on Hamilton. If, as you say, he's not sure what is going through his mind and unable to understand clear questions, then he shouldn't be in a F1 car or racing at all. The guy's a tool.
You may be right, but no one really knows except maybe Vettel.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

You may be right, but no one really knows except maybe Vettel.
To be honest, looking at the video, it looks like he gets alongside and just keeps the wheel turning into Hammy. No last minute flick as it looks when you watch from outside the car. Maybe it was unintentional?

Old 06-26-2017, 12:37 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You can't really see the steering wheel or his right hand at that moment to make that conclusion. And if you had accidentally hit someone, wouldn't you say so and apologize, even if only to save face and avoid getting chewed out by your boss? He did nothing but try to dance around the question.

Last edited by CCA; 06-26-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
You can't see really see the steering wheel or his right hand at that moment to make that conclusion. And if you had accidentally hit someone, wouldn't you say so and apologize, even if only to save face and avoid getting chewed out by your boss? He did nothing but try to dance around the question.
If he was full of adrenaline and didn't realize the hit was more just a tap, he wouldn't see the need to apologize and may remain fixated on Hamilton slowing up. As good as they are, F1 drivers are still only human and have the same basic fallibility and limitations as the rest of us.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,904 Likes on 1,724 Posts

Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see. Comparing a 4 time WDC to a student at a DE made me lol... Steering input in an F1 rack is very minimal so he wouldn't have to "turn into" Hamilton.

There is no shortage of evidence showing Vettel being a hot head when wronged and I believe he "reacted" to what he thought was a break check. A glancing blow at 20 MPH is not going to do damage but will get Hamiltons attention. That's what I believe Vettels intention was.

Regardless, Vettels got a future in NASCAR!!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:13 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I watched his interview and had a completely different interpretation of his answers, or lack thereof. He avoided Buxton's questions about the alleged intentional hit because he knows both the FIA and Ferrari are listening and he is probably going to have to give each an explanation.

That's my take on it.
Did not look like a hard hit to me, a love tap at most. A hard hit would have sent that whiny B into the wall. I do think it was intentional though.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Did not look like a hard hit to me, a love tap at most. A hard hit would have sent that whiny B into the wall. I do think it was intentional though.
Looks like about as hard a hit as you can manage without risking much damage to your own car. Vettel's car jumps into the air from the impact.

I still think it was intentional but leave the door open for mistake. I don't know if anyone is comparing Vettel to a DE driver. As skilled as they all are I think he could have done it by accident as well.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:40 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

But Hamilton is such a drama queen. He is always taking the argument beyond....setting an example for youngsters. He doesn't care....he is maximizing the social media opportunity.

He deliberately created the concertina effect no doubt. Vettel knew it. He was already angry. Vettel is all about racing. I like that compared mr wanna-be-rapper Hamilton.

And Hamilton did everything to shake vettel off his tail and that included soft lift.
He is an a--.

Quick Reply: F1 Baku SPOILERS HEREIN