Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA Club Racing I Class Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

A lot of race-car + extras for $12k, including fresh engine, bearings, and axles. Apparently all done, needs nothing:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-race-car.html
Old 06-13-2017, 12:39 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

PCA Spec Classes are going the same way as the alphabet classes. We have too many classes. Need to do something about weight/HP maybe divide up with aero vs no aero. We have 10 alphabet classes, 6 GT classes, 2 GTB classes, I don't know how many GTC we are up to, for Spec we have 3 x 944, Boxster, 996, and Cayman classes, and I believe there is a 997 being developed or is developed, next will be 991 spec.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:13 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mannym5
Note, SPC can only be 06-08 cayman S non DFI cars. So the OP's current "donor" car would not be valid. This is why I posted Sam's SPC for sale.
my bad, you are right

2009 to 2012 would be gen 2.

Yup GTB-1 class as long as you have a bunch of money to throw at it
Old 06-13-2017, 02:32 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

id be looking at a GTB1 car if you can.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:33 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're interested, I have a set of JRZ 2 way shocks I had to take off my car to make it SPC that I'd sell... PM me if you like.

-Corey
Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Unless you like lighting money on fire buy a developed race car and don't build it from scratch. There is no more expensive route to racing than the route you are considering.

Use the money you save for coaching and that will serve you best.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:26 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Unless you like lighting money on fire buy a developed race car and don't build it from scratch. There is no more expensive route to racing than the route you are considering.

Use the money you save for coaching and that will serve you best.
Speaking from experience this is great advice. The flip side to a build out is that "if" you are willing to take the time and shop around it can still be cost effective and you can learn a lot in the process. I understand more about my car from building it out than I ever would from buying it. HOWEVER, it is probably a 12-18 month phased endeavor and in 99.9% of cases it is more expensive.

The only thing I will say is it is far easier and more cost effective to find a 6MT than a PDK pre-built. Not sure if that is a consideration for you but with two hip replacements and double spinal fusion PDK was essential for me and searching for a pre-built PDK was much tougher and more expensive than a manual. If I were doing it over, I would be taking Luigi's advice though!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

The only caution to Luigi and Paul's advice I have is that it usually takes some time to make a used race car reliable, unless it was impeccably maintained. Problem is that most haven't been and it can be a frustrating and expensive experience to sort them out. If you build from scratch, you know EXACTLY what you have.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
The only caution to Luigi and Paul's advice I have is that it usually takes some time to make a used race car reliable, unless it was impeccably maintained. Problem is that most haven't been and it can be a frustrating and expensive experience to sort them out. If you build from scratch, you know EXACTLY what you have.
Good point!

I currently race with my car's prior owner and the same shop maintains it.

You can protect yourself somewhat by having your shop check out the car.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I saved a ton by building mine from the RL Classifieds. It took awhile but it turned out great. I still have 50% more in it though than if I'd bought one already built to near my specs.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default The leap...

You are taking the "Leap" into Club Racing, congratulations. You'll have some great stories to spin in the future when you look back on it. The most exhilarating experiences I have ever had in life, are the race starts...4 wide into the first turn, and nobody is giving anything up. Live your dream, go for it.

Whatever car you go with, be certain to consider Data Logging and an integrated camera. Very popular in my club, AiM MXL-2 and an integrated SmartyCam, about a $3,000 package and worth every cent. You can go to an AiM Solo for $700 and a SmartyCam for $1,000 and nearly cut the cost in half....BUT the SOLO DL is limited to OBD2 external data, in addition to what it generates.

As far as building your own car, this can be an expensive option...Spec Boxster is one of the cheaper way to get started, perhaps $25,000? But if you want throw away cheap, 944 Spec is the way to go. Contact Tim Comeau at https://www.yelp.com/biz/comeau-racing-enterprises-san-diego He builds great little cars and has years of experience.

Dan Aspesi at Speed Gallery in N. Hollywood (http://thespeedgallery.com/) can build you a Spec Boxster. He has the motors rebuilt in the process, and all new parts required/allowed in Spec Boxster. The price? Call him...I really don't know but he has built Spec Boxsters for lots of my friends.

If a Spec Boxster is not manly enough, SPEC 996...that's a great class. Dan can build you one of these too.

Or blow off the entire Spec idea and race "run what you brung" weight to HP with NASA. Anything goes, just meet weight to HP minimums and run DOT tires. There is a weight penalty for slicks.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:18 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Graham,

If you haven't made a decision yet, this is your BEST bet, trust me.

Only thing is that it means an extra car for you, but you could start in SPC, and then make your 09 into a GTB1 if you think it makes sense later. But I think that you will stay with SPC.

Too bad I just saw this thread now, cause I would have told you to come to Mosport on the weekend to have a look at Sam's car. It's a nice one.

As Frank said above (quoted below), the challenge with buying a used race car, despite being cheaper, is that it's hard to know exactly what you are getting, and you might have to refresh a lot of stuff: Well, Sam's car is a peach from what I can see. He has nicer stuff in there than I do.

SPC is growing, and Matt D expects that there will be 20 cars next year; there were 4 at Mosport, and that is in a foreign land. Imagine that, lol.

Only weak link is the engine; I blew one already at Monticello (it was high mileage) and had to steal the one from Louise's car to be ready for Mosport, but reliability concerns should decline as engines get rebuilt with better hardware.

As Matt says: "It's cheaper to replace an engine every 2 years than to overhaul cup engines per their schedules".

I hate to see Sam sell, if he is still doing so, but I would love to see this car come to Canada.

Plus, the Canadian $ is going up...

Originally Posted by mannym5
I'll just leave this here for the OP..

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-race-car.html
Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Old 08-07-2017, 11:23 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh, and also, car has nothing to do with what it was with the 2.7 and 5-speed; it's now a lot faster.

Quick Reply: PCA Club Racing I Class Build