Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing the next class. Pros and cons of each..

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Choosing the next class. Pros and cons of each..

So, my plan is to go this season in my SP2 VitoMobile, but it turned out not to be a whole lot cheaper than joining SPB right off, and more to the point the car is experiencing more "issues" than I care for so there is no question in my mind I will buy and train in a new car after my last race in August.

There are so many great people with whom I work and whom I have met, but I'm getting conflicting input on choosing my next car and class and so I am looking for more input. I want to try and make a better decision this time around as compared to my choice to buy the VitoMobile.

So here's what I have heard so far and/or thought myself:

1) I love the camaraderie in SPB and the field is the best, but some folks are telling me that a "good" motor is $25k.

2) Two individuals have suggested F class as the sweet spot in terms of no arms race, decent field, and affordable cars and parts.

3) I have been dreaming of SPC but now I'm being told that engine costs in that category will easily be $30k and that the engine in question is not known for durability.

4) One person suggested I class because you can get a car with the newer more durable engine and still have a fun day racing on the track even if there aren't a ton of other I cars.

and here's my first question. Do Boxster engines really cost $25k to be competitive?

I know this is a huge topic, and I have a ways to go before I'm going to make any decisions, and you can bet I will spend time talking to my mentors like Frank, Spence, and Simon, but I'm just curious what wisdom the folks here on Rennlist might be able to impart

Thanks as always for all who chime in!

Joe
Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,476 Likes on 2,072 Posts

This has the potential for more than 10 pages ending with "which oil to use"...
Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

If anybody tells you that you can move to another class "for not much more money than an SP2 car," they are lying!!

SP1/SP2 are the best bang for the buck as they usually have a large field and are a great learning experience for a novice racer. I'd suggest you master your SP2 car first and then move to something else as you gain experience.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:54 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
If anybody tells you that you can move to another class "for not much more money than an SP2 car," they are lying!!

SP1/SP2 are the best bang for the buck as they usually have a large field and are a great learning experience for a novice racer. I'd suggest you master your SP2 car first and then move to something else as you gain experience.
Frank,

I am looking forward to bending your ear on this topic extensively when we're at the Glen, but all I can say is that I have a friend in the LRDC who went F class and his total bill so far is way less than mine. Now part of that is because I use SST for all my maintenance, but even factoring that in the older car has simply needed a ton. Wheel bearings, axles, two transmissions (one I may get money back but maybe not), fire suppression, new seat belts, new seat, new belts, hoses, plugs and other misc. All in I'm way over $30k and I don't see an end in sight, but really money is not the overarching factor. I think the truth is I WANT to change classes next season, and as long as I can do so and be competent. In that regard I'm hoping the rest of this season will be a time for speedy learning. (little joke there . . . speedy learning . . . I know I kill myself sometimes )

BUT . . .

Absolutely no question I will finish this season in my SP2 car.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Junkyard SPB motor 3-4k.

Fresh build SPB motor 8-12k depending on new/used mix and who builds it. I have never seen or heard of a 25k SPB motor.

Used SPC motor 10-15k depending on mileage. Crate motor without peripherals >21k (last time I checked - who knows what Porsche is doing day to day).

Every race car will need wheel bearings, drive axles, brakes, control arm or other suspension critical part stress/timeout replacement, tranny rebuilds/replacement, clutches, and update/timeout safety gear. So it goes!
Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Cheap. Fast. Dependable.

Pick two.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Cheap. Fast. Dependable.

Pick two.
Hookers?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Hookers?
Canadian Hookers!!!
Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Now that you've put the money into Vito's car, it should be dependable for a while. If you buy another "built" racecar, you'll go through the whole thing again. It's rare to find a race car for sale that is truly ready to go for a whole season. As Matt said, stuff cycles out, that's an unavoidable fact. The main thing is it's not fun (for most people) to race against yourself, or 1 other car. So look at the races you go to, look at class size for the last few years, go from there. SP 2 and 3, E, SpecB have been pretty steady or growing in our area. Most of the letter classes are shrinking. SpecC will likely take off, but not a for sure thing yet. GT cars get $$$ quick, and most have support $ too.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:42 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Joe, do you really think SPB would be so popular if motors were $25K?
Racing is not cheap, say compared to jogging.......no matter which class you run in......
it just depends on much you allot to your racing budget......
Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,476 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Cheap. Fast. Dependable.

Pick two.
Sir, you have just summed up racing in 5 short words!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

"all racing costs the same...every penny you got"
Old 05-25-2017, 09:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Junkyard SPB motor 3-4k.

Fresh build SPB motor 8-12k depending on new/used mix and who builds it. I have never seen or heard of a 25k SPB motor.

Used SPC motor 10-15k depending on mileage. Crate motor without peripherals >21k (last time I checked - who knows what Porsche is doing day to day).

Every race car will need wheel bearings, drive axles, brakes, control arm or other suspension critical part stress/timeout replacement, tranny rebuilds/replacement, clutches, and update/timeout safety gear. So it goes!
This.

In the beginning you blow transmissions, clutches and pressure plates because you don't know what you are doing. Later on you continue to blow up those items because you are racing aggressively.

I got out of "I" class because the newer PDK cars with more horsepower were starting to come in and it made some of the races ridiculous. Guys with 50 more HP than me and PDK. Bah!

If you are going to go to a different class let me tell you from personal experience that it DOES NOT save you money. In fact I paid a bunch of money to make my car slower and handle worse going from I to SPC.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:50 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Every class.....top running cars cost more cause they are the ones doing maintenance etc more often, as the faster you become is generally the opposite on niceness to parts...so you have to keep up the car more

I'm a Huge E stock fan, cars are an absolute blast to drive. A really good build isn't cheap.....but you could get away with a current car and learn for a while before really doing an overhaul most times.

SPB I's an amazing class for the cost, just don't expect to be at the pointy end for a while, I've heard some crazy builds and seen much cheaper build do VERY well despite the lunatic drivers ( hunt, gary. Paolo. And the list goes on and on....well gary and good. ..eh)
My issue with spb is no damn LSD.....let them slap an LSD in em and man it would be different

SPC looks awesome, great looking and driving cars...that platform is just planted.....run costs are a bit more though

I class,...again the cayman is just great. Done some coaching and driving and I is turning into a great class as well

Sp1 and 2 are great choices to progress, every car is different and every mechanic is different, some guys know what to set up, change etc to make things work and last longer....

Having just rebuilt I strongly considered SPB, F class cayman, SPC....but budget had me going back to sp2 or so ...(was either take some time off and play the lottery or go "racing cheap")

Grass s always greener

But I stuck with E and can't be happier, cars are just so rewarding.

Stop by at the glen and say hello and check the new car out (its red now though...I'll be #037)..
Evan
Old 05-25-2017, 09:51 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 119 Posts

Going fast is never cheap - SPB isn't too bad though. It's a good class I enjoyed it

Quick Reply: Choosing the next class. Pros and cons of each..