Old 05-22-2017 | 10:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Default Skip Barber files bankruptcy

http://www.thedrive.com/news/10526/s...rk-1-2-million
Old 05-23-2017 | 01:33 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

If LRP is the largest creditor, it may be a way for SB himself, who I understand (though don't know for sure), owns LRP, to get the school back on the cheap. It surely wouldn't be the first time a founder/seller of a business gets his business back for little or nothing. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Any bankruptcy pros here?
Old 05-23-2017 | 05:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
If LRP is the largest creditor, it may be a way for SB himself, who I understand (though don't know for sure), owns LRP, to get the school back on the cheap. It surely wouldn't be the first time a founder/seller of a business gets his business back for little or nothing. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
It's a damned shame, but the last decade, and especially the last three or four years, has been brutal for folks working for MC, the owner of SBRS since 2001 (Skip sold to a PEG in 1999). Just a crime the way it's been run into the ground.

Skip has been approached many times and has declined, and has got his hands full with not only LRP but legacy planning. He was a classmate of my mother's in high school and is now a fit and sprightly eighty years old.

He is notoriously thrifty, so it would need to be unencunbered to be of interest, and it's not that now...

Here's the filing in NY State, as of yesterday morning; http://www.harrisonvideos.com/SBRS-chapt-11.pdf

smdh...
Old 05-23-2017 | 03:57 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Holy Big Bend ! I believe I recall that it was some Asian investment group that had bought it. ? , that is not in the article- googling
Old 05-23-2017 | 04:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Holy Big Bend ! I believe I recall that it was some Asian investment group that had bought it. ? , that is not in the article- googling
No, it was a private equity group in 1999. Michael Culver, the sole owner, bought everyone else out in 2001, IIRC. Skip has not been involved, except as a creditor, since then.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-23-2017 | 04:40 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Well regardless of how people have viewed it in recent years, it certainly is an iconic go fast school.
I'm sure there are tons of enthusiast instructors who will get left out in the cold from this. I hope they all land on their feet or that someone simply buys the school and keeps it pumping.
Old 05-23-2017 | 04:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That's precisely the issue, IMO. It was the ideal mentoring and "graduate" school for aspiring pro racers. Some of the best known pros have shagged cones and cut up on the radio at SBRS schools throughout the country, and the life lessons passed down from the elite squad of senior instructors were priceless for the younger instructors.

Tragic...
Old 05-24-2017 | 12:13 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

I would assume that they will try to reorganize under Ch 11, bring in some new money, cram down the bank, pay the unsecured creditors (the tracks) pennies on the dollar. The question will then be whether the tracks want to get back in bed with the new owners. If the track dates can't be sold elsewhere, they surely will. Many of the tracks have also gone through the same process.
Old 05-24-2017 | 08:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

They're operating today with Terry Lee and others at CMP... God bless the staff.

More input from MC. Sounds like he's still in La-La Land...

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...expedited-sale
Old 05-24-2017 | 08:23 PM
pyropete125
Racer

I did a 3 day in October at Thompson CT and I was very pleased with it.... Though I do remember thinking that their race suits and helmets were in deplorable condition, ripped, patches hanging by a thread, deep scraches etc... luckily I had my own gear. There is no chance any of them woild pass a tech inspection.

The cars were in good order and it was run professionally.
Old 05-25-2017 | 08:03 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

from a very wise individual- "This may be a great result for Lime Rock. Skip Barber Racing had a sweetheart deal for track rental at LRP which was always a problem for the track. If it goes out of business, LRP may recover those valuable days for more profitable rentals".
Old 12-19-2017 | 04:05 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Just received an e-mail about this ...

Skip Barber Racing School Acquired by DeMonte Motorsports

Based on other threads on SB I've seen this year, did DeMonte just buy a shell of what used to be SB?
Old 12-19-2017 | 04:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stownsen914

Based on other threads on SB I've seen this year, did DeMonte just buy a shell of what used to be SB?
I talked to these guys at PRI. I may be wrong, but they said they bought the name and the IP (though they weren't perfectly clear on the IP). Hopefully they turn it back into a great school and it builds some momentum.
Old 12-19-2017 | 04:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stownsen914

Yes. They bought the name, ostensibly the IP (curriculum, logo, structure) and the address list.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I talked to these guys at PRI. I may be wrong, but they said they bought the name and the IP (though they weren't perfectly clear on the IP). Hopefully they turn it back into a great school and it builds some momentum.
You're absolutely correct.

But the real value of SBRS, IMO, was the incredible human equity that WAS present in that program, up until several years ago.

Now? The diaspora is complete, all the major (and many of the minor) players work for other schools or programs now.

It may continue as a shell of it's former self, as a ride and drive outlet for manufacturers and marketing firms, as an autocross school and/or driving "experience" (think NASA HyperDrive), but it will never be what it once was...

Fun for alumni, both instructors, the indefatigable mechanics, staff and students to visit Team Juicy Racing at http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/

There is also a closed FB group of former instructors, staff and alumni. Pretty brutal place, at least about this venture...
Old 12-19-2017 | 10:00 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

disregard

Last edited by 997_rich; 12-19-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: double

Quick Reply: Skip Barber files bankruptcy