Sponsored by:

This is how we do it in Canada!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:31 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts
Default This is how we do it in Canada!

A couple laps of Mosport in the snow from this past Sunday.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:50 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

That was Sunday? I'm supposed to be up there in the McLaren in a week.... great.

-mike
Old 05-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

You should be fine. This weather wasn't exactly characteristic for this time of year... but it happens.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:02 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember years back, racing motorcycles in the snow at Willow Springs. Not much fun.........
Old 05-10-2017, 10:34 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I heard at one point during the PCA event there was almost white-out conditions on the back straight. Apparently it only lasted for a very short time (ie less than a lap). At least there wasn't ice, I think they had ice last year for a BMW event...
Old 05-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

The second half of my video shows the worst I encountered. Video doesn't quite do it justice.

I wouldn't say we approached anything I'd call a white-out, but there was a good amount of snow coming down!!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 AM
kervracing446
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's cool. I forgot to put SD card in and missed footage. Morning it came down pretty good during one of the runs. Was super happy I was running H20s. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:01 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

The Glen also got some snow this past weekend...I was at Mosport on the 3rd and it was great--luckily dodged it.

Back up 5/16--here's hoping

Gary

....just got back from the Glen--Matt Lane from RL Canada came down. Nice to put a face to a name! Matt Romanowski also--likewise......
Old 05-11-2017, 11:45 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
A couple laps of Mosport in the snow from this past Sunday.
Interesting treatment of T10 there. Like you, I favour crossing the dry line early as opposed to running around the outside, but I like to turn in harder, earlier and from farther track left. Then again, maybe that is an inherited habit from before the most recent asphalt patches.

Originally Posted by fleadh
That was Sunday? I'm supposed to be up there in the McLaren in a week.... great.

-mike
Mike, Magnus Racing was there last week with a couple of transporters for some truly wet track, FWIW. Last week saw record breaking rainfall and flooding, capped by the snow storm in this video on Sunday.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Interesting treatment of T10 there. Like you, I favour crossing the dry line early as opposed to running around the outside, but I like to turn in harder, earlier and from farther track left. Then again, maybe that is an inherited habit from before the most recent asphalt patches.
FWIW, I wasn't anywhere near exploring the edges of grip out there. In those conditions I was really just driving around and working on my heel/toe footwork.

Starting from track left though... wouldn't that put you in the dry line for turn-in? I came in about a car-length from the left to avoid that. Then, as you mentioned, when everyone else was going straight and then turning around the outside, I turned a little earlier and cut through the middle. Part of that might have been out of habit to position myself for a point-by.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:36 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Starting from track left though... wouldn't that put you in the dry line for turn-in? I came in about a car-length from the left to avoid that.
Normally yes, but the prevailing dry line there for fast cars (see IMSA in-car footage) is still the 'esses' line, which means a relatively early turn in for 10 that puts the dry line roughly through (or even a car width to the right of) where you're turning in in the wet. As I say, though, your way isn't necessarily wrong -- there was a surprising amount of grip out there, and finding your own grip is one of the most fun and rewarding parts of doing this!

Quick Reply: This is how we do it in Canada!