Sponsored by:

DE day at ORP CCW with GT4 Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:12 PM
cwcsvt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DE day at ORP CCW with GT4 Clubsport

Spent the day at Oregon Raceway Park yesterday for day 2 in the GT4 Clubsport. Weather was perfect and track conditions were as good I think you could want. This was the second day for me in the car and I am absolutely thrilled with how the car handled. I had only run the track reverse once, and it had been a while. The car is incredibly stable and refuses to break lose anywhere. I don't have a ton of time on the track, but have spent years on the dirt riding and driving. This course run in reverse has several blind and off camber corners and the car just sticks. Diving into corners and chasing down other cars is something this car seems to do very well. I drove the car in the automatic mode since I want to focus on handling. I've noticed third seems a little high and it does struggle a little at times depending on speed, but that is the only thing I really noticed. I don't know of any other Clubsports in the PNW, so its a real treat to share the car with others. I had some issues with timing between the AIM camera and Motec unit. One of the support techs on track assisted with loading the track to Aim, but Motec would not produce lap times for me. I felt good on my final session getting a 1:55 and know the car has so much more. Love to get some feedback on anything you can see in the video. There are a couple of turns I had trouble with at times, but I still had a fantastic day at the track and I couldnt be happier with the car, aside from an Aerial it was one of the fastest cars on track that day I think. Enjoy the video! I'm still working out how to make the Aim and the Motec communicate properly.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Take the plastic cover off the MoTeC C125 and you'll be able to see the screen better.

Like the AIM SmartyCam, you'll need to tell the MoTeC where it is or at least load the North American tracks first. Also, lower the camera so it's lens is at your eye level, that way less mirror will be in the way.

They're good cars. You'll have a lot of fun. On your third lap, I see periods of time where you're not on the brakes or on the gas, a fair bit of coasting up to the corner, selection of a particular throttle opening and staying there, and inconsistent braking, sometimes good, mostly pretty gentle. Slow transitions, too, between gas and brake. I'd pick one area and work on that area, then move on to the next, the next session.

Thanks for sharing.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-08-2017, 09:27 PM
cwcsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Take the plastic cover off the MoTeC C125 and you'll be able to see the screen better. Like the AIM SmartyCam, you'll need to tell the MoTeC where it is or at least load the North American tracks first. They're good cars. You'll have a lot of fun.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The SmartyCam is getting all the information it should be from the MoTeC, so I think you're ok there.

You might want to reach out to Chris Brown at CB Racing, Dave and Ellen Ferguson at Veracity Data and perhaps John Reed in the Pacific Northwest. They can help you get up to speed on the MoTeC.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:30 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

what shocks and springs are you running?
What tires do you have?

I would love to take my GT4CS on ORP someday!

I still race my car in full auto mode. (although i sometimes manually paddle shift down to 2nd at times...)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I find auto shifting in the CS has some awkward up and downshift points on the track. I prefer to drive in manual mode.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by skxf430
I find auto shifting in the CS has some awkward up and downshift points on the track. I prefer to drive in manual mode.
Its quicker in auto.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

^^^ So they say!!! Just getting used to my car and experimenting with all the various settings.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:36 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by skxf430
^^^ So they say!!! Just getting used to my car and experimenting with all the various settings.
Fun to do! Enjoy!
Old 05-10-2017, 11:22 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

At 10 tenths the PDK is nearly perfect.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 AM
cwcsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Its quicker in auto.

I agree, it is much quicker in auto. It just has a couple odd spots, but otherwise it is flawless. Could not be happier with the car!
Old 05-11-2017, 04:20 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A couple of tips from an instructor with 20+ days CCW at ORP:

Climb onto those curbs up the half pipe. The inner tires are unweighted and don't care. Lets you straighten those turns and stay in the gas all the way up.

Don't bend into the turn so early at the bottom of Valkyrie hill. Stay left, wait to brake until the very bottom then do so aggressively in a straight line. There's tons of grip from the compression so it's a very quick brake, turn, gas.

Cheers!
Rich
Old 05-11-2017, 10:06 PM
cwcsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by rlets
A couple of tips from an instructor with 20+ days CCW at ORP:

Climb onto those curbs up the half pipe. The inner tires are unweighted and don't care. Lets you straighten those turns and stay in the gas all the way up.

Don't bend into the turn so early at the bottom of Valkyrie hill. Stay left, wait to brake until the very bottom then do so aggressively in a straight line. There's tons of grip from the compression so it's a very quick brake, turn, gas.

Cheers!
Rich
Rich, thank you for the points! I honestly think I could get 3-5 seconds off my time with a few tricks.. The half pipe I agree on. I actually ran harder earlier in the day on that section, but for some reason I let off later in the day. The bottom of the hill was also something that was taking some getting used to. The brakes are really incredible on that car.

Cheers!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 PM
cwcsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
what shocks and springs are you running?
What tires do you have?

I would love to take my GT4CS on ORP someday!

I still race my car in full auto mode. (although i sometimes manually paddle shift down to 2nd at times...)
I am running the Pirelli's and not sure on the shocks. I am still learning alot about the car. ORP is such a fun course!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:21 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Is your CS a Manthey or Trophy East car?

Quick Reply: DE day at ORP CCW with GT4 Clubsport