Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,693 Likes on 874 Posts

Yes, heavily rubbered in brake zones are very slippery when wet
Old 05-06-2017, 03:57 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Interested here as I'm due there Wednesday and only did one wet day late last year on the new pave (it was slick all over as all the oils were still coming up to the surface)--assuming it's wet (though I checked the weather and right now they're calling for dry but you never know at the Glen ), now that all the tarmac is pretty much consistent I'm just wondering if it would be prudent to begin by doing the classic rimshot until you get a feel for the conditions....

Gary
Old 05-06-2017, 04:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Going to suggest starting with the dry line with modified braking (inside dry line two car widths) at T1 and T8, avoiding standing water and painted surfaces, including ANY outside curbing, and then modifying from there to "seek grip."

The ideal "sensory input" session does not rely on a specific line, but instead searches for consistent, better grip, then optimizes after that.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-06-2017, 04:33 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Going to suggest starting with the dry line with modified braking (inside dry line two car widths) at T1 and T8, avoiding standing water and painted surfaces, including ANY outside curbing, and then modifying from there to "seek grip."

The ideal "sensory input" session does not rely on a specific line, but instead searches for consistent, better grip, then optimizes after that.
Thank you, Peter......say what you want about the old surface but there was definitely grip in the wet if you knew where to find it--I used to make up tons of time on faster cars by going around the outside of the Toe as an example.

Gary
Old 05-06-2017, 04:37 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

The glen is at least fairly consistent in the rain with the new surface. Used to be much more variable.

I don't think I've been there in the rain since the last repave but it used to amaze me at VIR that the puddles going ino 1 seemed to be in a different place every time around.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:41 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
The glen is at least fairly consistent in the rain with the new surface. Used to be much more variable.
Sure was--as I posted, there WAS grip to be had but there were bad spots i.e.T8 was brutal with the river going across the track and the concrete you couldn't avoid.....

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 05-06-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gbuff
Thank you, Peter......say what you want about the old surface but there was definitely grip in the wet if you knew where to find it--I used to make up tons of time on faster cars by going around the outside of the Toe as an example.

Gary
Agreed, Gary! I won my first race in the rain with a last lap pass around the outside of T10. With the old pavement, local knowledge ruled!
Old 05-06-2017, 05:28 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Agreed, Gary! I won my first race in the rain with a last lap pass around the outside of T10. With the old pavement, local knowledge ruled!
Yep, local knowledge and in your case, um, bravery
Old 05-06-2017, 06:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gbuff
Yep, local knowledge and in your case, um, bravery
Easy to be brave in a slow car...
Old 05-06-2017, 09:28 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Easy to be brave in a slow car...
I hear you about slow cars
Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm here at the Glen right now with ARPCA. Cool and rainy today, upper 40's temps. and drizzle wih intermixed downpours, most of us with R-compounds and slicks stayed in the garage. My 993TT with RWD conversion on Pirelli Trofeo R's in the morning handled the drizzle well, only a little squirming in turn 6 and at the heel of the boot, but I was very conservative driving. Someone spun and whacked the Armco, then the track red flagged the event for running water everywhere-so much for the drainage upgrades with the repave.

Tomorrow is supposed to be worse-like the Monday to Wednesday forecast-30's and 40's for temps. with rain mixing with snow. So I'm wimping out and driving my backup car-my supercharged R8V10 with AWD and and street tires (Michelin Supersports)....
Old 05-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 113 Posts

Also at the Glen with ARPCA. In the sessions with heavy rain, the start-finish straight was quite squirmy, and the puddles in T1 braking were a concern. Same at the entry to the bus stop (which had a lot of standing water), and lots of rivers in the outer loop and chute, and out of 6. Puddles on the approach to 8 were also exciting. Exit of 9 had standing water just offline to the right.
No real difference in grip between the dry line and off line, at least for me and my SuperSports.
Needless to say, the curbs are full of water, so we avoided those and all of the painted lines. I hope that my sessions tomorrow fall into the 40% chance of it not raining!
Old 05-07-2017, 07:56 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's the foul weather line

Old 05-08-2017, 12:43 AM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Here's the foul weather line

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd8jC8oVXnc
I had snowflakes bouncing off my windshield in one of the morning run sessions today at the Glen with ARPCA-but not that many snowflakes....
Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 113 Posts

It was the type of day that made me glad of the heated steering wheels.

Quick Reply: Tips for instructing in the rain at Watkins Glen