Sponsored by:

Cups and Saucers May 10, 11

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Awesome DE run by Hudson Champlain! Thank you to all the hardworking volunteers!

First time for me at the Glen in my Cayman and got my best time trying to pedal hard and keep up with Paolo. Thanks Paolo!!

For what it's worth both Simon and Peter ran demo laps in my car at 2:20 and change Also, I was using Michelin Super Sport street tires. No chunking for me and minimal wear afeter 2 days of DE. I figure at least 2 more DEs worth of wear. Great tires.

https://youtu.be/pUapUT1kXAM
Nice meeting you Joe, now all you have to do is run the SP2 Vitomobile at a sub-2:18.765 to beat Vito's best time there in it!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:50 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Nice meeting you Joe, now all you have to do is run the SP2 Vitomobile at a sub-2:18.765 to beat Vito's best time there in it!
Thanks Gary. Had a great time chatting with you guys! Really makes me wish I had opted to go SPB right off the bat.

Even so I'm sure the "Vitomobile" (I like that name ) will be a good platform to keep honing my driving skills. This time I will go into the race with a firm plan and not rely on my previous track experience. I will be spending a ton of time going over Van Svenson's videos and I also plan on getting 2 days of coaching at the Glen prior to the start. Hopefully all that will get me close to a proper pace for the SP2 car.

See you guys there!

Joe
Old 05-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks Gary. Had a great time chatting with you guys! Really makes me wish I had opted to go SPB right off the bat.

Even so I'm sure the "Vitomobile" (I like that name ) will be a good platform to keep honing my driving skills. This time I will go into the race with a firm plan and not rely on my previous track experience. I will be spending a ton of time going over Van Svenson's videos and I also plan on getting 2 days of coaching at the Glen prior to the start. Hopefully all that will get me close to a proper pace for the SP2 car.

See you guys there!

Joe
If there were a trophy for great attitude you should get it Joe, just keep working it, the speed will come!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:57 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome DE run by Hudson Champlain! Thank you to all the hardworking volunteers!

First time for me at the Glen in my Cayman and got my best time trying to pedal hard and keep up with Paolo. Thanks Paolo!!

For what it's worth both Simon and Peter ran demo laps in my car at 2:20 and change Also, I was using Michelin Super Sport street tires. No chunking for me and minimal wear afeter 2 days of DE. I figure at least 2 more DEs worth of wear. Great tires.

Awesome video! And an especially thankful nod for allowing my 964 #518 to take part in your video. Never seen my car from that perspective before.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:58 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts
Smile

See my cross post at JP66 "Any tips for learning a new car." Peter Argetsinger has helped me immensely at WGI and Simon at Lime Rock. See Peter Argetsinger driving my 944 as referenced in the cross post with link to Youtube video. Peter did a 2:24 with the caveats listed.
I will post on YouTube Peter's 2:24 with overlaid AIM data in the next couple of days.
Tom
Old 05-12-2017, 11:50 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Joe, it was very nice meeting you and I am glad of being of service to you!

You did great!

See you in a couple of weeks!
Old 05-13-2017, 01:09 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts
Default t6

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nice job guys

Ron you still have more time particularly in T6 ;-)
Im all ears.. I am only a student of the sport.Always looking for another piece of the puzzle.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

OK, Ron, couple things, in corner sequential order, to think about:

= when you upshift in the Esses, you are forced to breathe the throttle a bit as you transition from steering right to steering left, due to what I suppose is understeer. This is IMO because you are in too much of a hurry to transition to steering right. Slow your hands a tiny bit and the weight transfer will be a bit more gradual, and the car will be better placed (IE slightly later for the apex on drivers left) to maintain WOT all the way up. This is real time right there.

=just before you go to brakes into the Bus Stop, you come off WOT to approximately half throttle. Stay at WOT until you brake if you can

=use a teeny tiny bit more steering angle over the 4th rumble strip in the Bus Stop to get the car's attitude pointed a bit more drivers right as you approach T5. This will make it a lot easier for the car to bend down the hill sooner, so you can catch that super camber groove at the bottom earlier...more grip means more throttle position for more real estate in 5!

=into 6, brake a bit sooner (note how you have to add brake pressure after you downshift?) which will enable you to bend the car down towards the apex IE camber groove (just like in 5) much sooner and stay there much longer, allowing once again more throttle for more real estate. Look how yo have to hesitate once on throttle because the front isn't quite pointed right into the high grip zone, and then you are late to WOT

=T11 note the throttle hit and then lift...this messes up your chassis stability and thus your exit speed...wait a foot or two more before going to throttle (Patience!) and then go to the gas ONCE ;-)
Old 05-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome driving as well
Old 05-13-2017, 10:53 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Dave ,Good advice !And I thank you.I shall take your advice to heart.Like I said Im a student of the sport.
The only thing is no understeer .
My best regards,Ron
Old 05-13-2017, 11:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

My pleasure. Glad I was wrong about understeer!!
Old 05-13-2017, 06:41 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Great event as always. Set a new PB. Psyched for the Clash in a few weeks.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Chiming in late here, but still wanted to share.

I have been planning to get to WGI for some time now, past timing has not been right. Credit Erik L for setting the hook - I registered early, and then had some time to think about it. I was worried about showing up to such a fast track/event for the first time and being in the way. I left Montreal in the rain with a cold and wet forecast, not confidence inspiring. Drove down on marginal street tires with a plan to simply make the best of it.

Anyway, I have to say, it was magic. LOVED THE TRACK – the favourable camber in most corners is amazing.

I built confidence as the event progressed, hit the occasional apex, and really improved. Sumitomo’s (don’t ask) pleaded loudly for mercy (in Korean?) under braking, at apex and through every track out. Not ideal, but more than fine to navigate for a 1st time.

Was a pleasure to hang out with old friends (Erik L virtually, Rick B, Dave K), meet new friends (Jonathan K, Bill N, Roy, Gary, Magnus, Yuri, Corey, etc.)

Finally got to put a face to a longtime Rennlist friend and fellow 993 pedaler, Bill Verburg. Outstanding.

Had the Seneca Lodge bar experience – loved it.

I’m pumped – can you tell? Cups and Saucers is an amazing event, well run, welcoming and hosted at one of my (new) favourite tracks. Mosport and LCMT are great, but WGI was the missing link for me.

Enough gushing. I am still stoked.

Cheers

Matt
Old 05-13-2017, 09:32 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

I have been planning to get to WGI for some time now, past timing has not been right. Credit Erik L for setting the hook - I registered early, and then had some time to think about it. I was worried about showing up to such a fast track/event for the first time and being in the way. I left Montreal in the rain with a cold and wet forecast, not confidence inspiring. Drove down on marginal street tires with a plan to simply make the best of it.

Anyway, I have to say, it was magic. LOVED THE TRACK – the favourable camber in most corners is amazing.

I built confidence as the event progressed, hit the occasional apex, and really improved. Sumitomo’s (don’t ask) pleaded loudly for mercy (in Korean?) under braking, at apex and through every track out. Not ideal, but more than fine to navigate for a 1st time.

Was a pleasure to hang out with old friends (Erik L virtually, Rick B, Dave K), meet new friends (Jonathan K, Bill N, Roy, Gary, Magnus, Yuri, Corey, etc.)

Finally got to put a face to a longtime Rennlist friend and fellow 993 pedaler, Bill Verburg. Outstanding.

I’m pumped – can you tell? Cups and Saucers is an amazing event, well run, welcoming and hosted at one of my (new) favourite tracks. Mosport and LCMT are great, but WGI was the missing link for me.

Cheers

Matt
I sense that a serious case of "track rapture" has set in (and for good reason)....no known cure, except for more track time! I succumb to the malady myself on a regular basis

Really glad you enjoyed after the long journey.....

Gary
Old 05-14-2017, 06:16 AM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Matt, I knew you would love the Glen! It was a great pleasure getting to know you and your lovely wife.

-Magnus

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: Cups and Saucers May 10, 11