Sponsored by:

Aim SOLO and AMB Transponder Variance

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:12 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Aim SOLO and AMB Transponder Variance

I always thought AIM solos were supposed to be pretty accurate. This weekend I ran NASA TT. My AIM solo recorded a 1:53.7 and the AMB transponder used for the event recorded a 1:54.7, a full second off.

Curious what everyone's experiences are when comparing an AIM with a transponder. Is a one second gap expected?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:23 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 791 Likes on 509 Posts

A second off is much farther than I normally see (I can't remember a good lap being that far off). Where the other laps in the session correct? How many satellites did you have?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:24 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

It seemed to be within a tenth most of the day from what I recall. Any way to check how many satellites were engaged by looking at the data file?

Also separate topic but I'm new to analyzing data off my SOLO, what measures are good to look at and what's the easiest way to get usable information from the data? I.E. I'm braking too soon or not applying the throttle early enough out of the corner etc?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 496 Posts

Make sure you have the latest Start/Finish definition for the AIM system.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Do you mean specific to that track? I have the latest firmware. Isn't the start/finish definition embedded within the track when you download it?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
^^THIS^^
Old 04-25-2017, 10:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Do you mean specific to that track? I have the latest firmware. Isn't the start/finish definition embedded within the track when you download it?
Use GPS Manager with the Solo/Solo DL to see what tracks are loaded and to update start/finish or delete multiples.

While all new Solo/Solo DL's come with all tracks and the most current database loaded, some older/pre owned have had their databases added to/taken from or are old.

There is an "update track database" feature in GPS Manager to help you through that.

Firmware is just the instructions to the unit for its operation, no database or config changes (supposedly, but check your MXL2/MXG/MXS after every firmware update, ask me how I know!?!?!).
Old 04-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It seemed to be within a tenth most of the day from what I recall. Any way to check how many satellites were engaged by looking at the data file?

Also separate topic but I'm new to analyzing data off my SOLO, what measures are good to look at and what's the easiest way to get usable information from the data? I.E. I'm braking too soon or not applying the throttle early enough out of the corner etc?
Check out the attached photo on how to check how many satellites you had. If it was good, then try a GPS lap insert to see if it corrects the lap time to match the transponder. If that works, then you have the wrong (well, different) coordinates than for the timing loop.This video has how to fix some GPS problems and how to use GPS lap insert.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Check out the attached photo on how to check how many satellites you had. If it was good, then try a GPS lap insert to see if it corrects the lap time to match the transponder. If that works, then you have the wrong (well, different) coordinates than for the timing loop.This video has how to fix some GPS problems and how to use GPS lap insert. https://youtu.be/NY9f6wbop0Y
Thanks for the link. NSat ranges from 8 to 11 throughout the lap. Is that within the range to generate an accurate response?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the link. NSat ranges from 8 to 11 throughout the lap. Is that within the range to generate an accurate response?
That is a good satellite count.

Try the GPS lap insert and see if that changes the times at all.

If you want, I'm happy to look at the file and do it. I would just need a time sheet to see if they change to what the timing loop had. My email is matt@trailbrake.net
Old 04-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I always thought AIM solos were supposed to be pretty accurate. This weekend I ran NASA TT. My AIM solo recorded a 1:53.7 and the AMB transponder used for the event recorded a 1:54.7, a full second off.

Curious what everyone's experiences are when comparing an AIM with a transponder. Is a one second gap expected?
I was at TWS this weekend and all times were within hundredths between AIM and transponder. I figure difference is start/finish coordinates in the aim.

I will gladly exchange data files with you. Denis dot clavette at Comcast dot net. I have full can data on an E46M3.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:06 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
That is a good satellite count.

Try the GPS lap insert and see if that changes the times at all.

If you want, I'm happy to look at the file and do it. I would just need a time sheet to see if they change to what the timing loop had. My email is matt@trailbrake.net
Thanks I'll email you my data file and the time sheet from NASA.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:08 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I was at TWS this weekend and all times were within hundredths between AIM and transponder. I figure difference is start/finish coordinates in the aim.

I will gladly exchange data files with you. Denis dot clavette at Comcast dot net. I have full can data on an E46M3.
Hi Denis, I saw you this weekend but didn't get to meet you. I'm friends with ken o and it looks like you guys had a good battle, congrats on the win in TT3.

How do you set your start/finish coordinates for your aim at TWS, was it manual or do I have an older track map loaded? Mine is a regular Solo, non DL. I'll email you my file also.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:33 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi Denis, I saw you this weekend but didn't get to meet you. I'm friends with ken o and it looks like you guys had a good battle, congrats on the win in TT3.

How do you set your start/finish coordinates for your aim at TWS, was it manual or do I have an older track map loaded? Mine is a regular Solo, non DL. I'll email you my file also.
You should be able to go to GPS manager and manually enter the coordinates. NASA forum for Texas has the start finish coordinates for all Texas tracks.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:47 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
You should be able to go to GPS manager and manually enter the coordinates. NASA forum for Texas has the start finish coordinates for all Texas tracks.
Thanks, I'll dig them up. Bummer you have to go in and set all the coordinates manually to get lap times that match transponders.

Quick Reply: Aim SOLO and AMB Transponder Variance