Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nannies or not? HPDE instructors weigh in

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 05:23 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think DEs are for drivers to become educated in high performance driving first and foremost. As a driver gains confidence and abilities, then I can see them learning more of what their car is capable of doing on a track. These events are supposed to be fun, but also focused on driving within the limits of the student, not the car.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
100% agree.

People who have never been on track don't have any idea of what it is like. Your first post in this thread was, I think, a wonderful summary of the typical first timer. Many think the "spirited" driving they do bears some resemblance to what happens on a track and that once freed from imperious traffic law restrictions their inner-Senna will be on display for all to admire.
Thanks DT.

I think the beauty is that I am only in my 3rd year of this so it is STILL very new to me and I learn at least one thing every day I am either out there on track, being coached or studying so I am able bring that combination of wide eyed curiosity, fresh perspective and eagerness balanced with pragmatism, understanding and desire. Capability and execution are still up for debate

Like I said since day 1 I have believed that mutual communication with my instructor is imperative. Without it the day is a waste regardless of nannies.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

I used to be pretty strongly in the camp of needing skills with car control to dance. But now I think about this a lot about the safety side of things. Turbo S vs Miata - food for thought on the consequences of a mistake without the backup of nannies. For someone who seems to be really intent on learning how to drive, it's a conversation about what car to buy and tires, not when to turn nannies off.

Turbo S is carrying a lot more energy that can be used make things uncomfortable. Good luck convincing the guy who bought a Turbo S to keep things under 120 when he is driving by himself.

Name:  Energy.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  70.2 KB
Old 04-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes- I believe PCA policy is leave them on. I use them as a learning tool if they come on with student. Cheaper to keep them on than track insurance.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Another train of thought... Cirrus builds the SR GA aircraft with a parachute system just in case. It has already saved hundreds of lives and I am pretty sure nannies on the track have as well.

If you were a flight instructor would you force someone to disable the parachute so they can learn the ramifications of pilot error or would you quite possibly want to have that parachute there but teach them not to fly themselves into a situation where they need it? Would you force them to learn an engine out landing if they have an unforced engine shutdown on their 2nd lesson or be happy to pull the chute and discuss procedure on the ground in one piece instead of 22?
Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

FYI: most of the time Porsches factory test drivers including Walter Rohrl leave them on...
Old 04-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
FYI: most of the time Porsches factory test drivers including Walter Rohrl leave them on...
With all due respect Walter Rohl has not been doing DE's for almost 3 years like me so we can't really compare his skill level to mine... He will get there though
Old 04-20-2017, 06:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Exactly
I listened to Ross make the argument that current stability management is so sophisticated that it gives the driver a valuable indication of the car's limits, unlike older systems, which were often imposing themselves much too early and abruptly.
I'm in the 'leave them on and learn from them' camp in the most current cars.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:29 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Traction control as well? Are they programmed the same way as a street car?

I'm curious because I always heard that if you want to be fast you turn off traction control.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 PM
alanshutko
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Traction control as well? Are they programmed the same way as a street car?
I don't know if they are programmed the same way, but here's an interesting quote about the Carrera GT:

Earlier this year, Rohrl said, the engineering team was about to cancel a day's testing at the famous Nurburgring circuit because of wet weather. But, Rohrl said, when he insisted the car had to be tested in slippery conditions, he discovered the car's daunting performance.

"I came back into the pits and I was white," Rohrl said. "I immediately said to the engineers that we need one button for the wet and one button for the dry", referring to the need for a traction control switch.

Originally, he said, there were no plans to fit electronic traction control to the Carrera GT but his insistence has forced Porsche to develop a system at late notice.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

I guess it is a miracle that all the drivers with cars with no nannies at all ever came home alive or with cars not on flatbeds.......and that they ever learned to drive at all.

Jeez....how is even possible for me to race a old air-cooled 911 without nannies, power steering, ABS, etc.....
Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Point missed
Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by alanshutko
I don't know if they are programmed the same way, but here's an interesting quote about the Carrera GT:
Point missed
So does he use traction control only in the wet? Sure, I have used it in races in really bad conditions, also because it helps to get temperature into the brakes.

But does Rohrl use it in the dry as well?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 PM
winders
Race Car

Point missed
No, I did not miss the point. What I did was point out the fallacies in the arguments.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 PM
winders
Race Car

I suspect most newer track drivers have no idea when nannies engage and what they do for them. The more transparent the nannies the more likely this is to be true. Also, unless the instructor is eyeing the dash constantly, he is not likely to know when nannies kick in.

Quick Reply: Nannies or not? HPDE instructors weigh in