Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993, Outrageous Oversteer

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

First time I took the car out, the rear sway bar was binding. I have never had that happen before, and it was scary to say the least.
I had a binding problem on my 993 RS factory rear stabilizer bar. When I first installed the bar and tightened the mounts, the bar was locked and I could not move it by hand. It was not a lubrication problem.
It ended up being the bend in the bar at the mounts, extended into the bushing ID somewhat. I ground some of the bushing at the ID where it was binding to allow for clearance to the bar as it rotated.
After that I could easily rotate the bar by hand.

Worth eliminating as a problem and easily checked with the bar disconnected. I did not drive the car with the bar binding up so I don't know how it would have behaved.
Mike
Old 04-21-2017, 02:23 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a good point. Also double check that there is no preload.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

It sounds like something is mechanically wacky. I would be careful about changing a bunch of stuff before you get a handle on the current setup (even if it's wrong).

Analyze the simple things first - springs or possibly bars bottoming/binding? Check all suspension bushings too. Does the suspension droop look even when you jack the car?
Does the car feel like it wants to rotate really quickly even before the backend steps out (setup)? Or do you get a binary phase shift in the amount of oversteer (binding)?

Does the backend dance around a lot under braking in a straight line (might be toe or dynamic toe)?

I agree with all the points on the rollbars - this sounds like preload or binding or similar. Also, whoever made the point about softening the rear bar for more oversteer had it backwards.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:15 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing the thread full circle.

Went to a different place to align the car. More modern rack, and they let me do it myself. To rule out any shenanigans I basically did a bone stock alignment, plus camber.
Front toe: .08 deg total
Front camber: -2.8 deg
Front caster: 4.8 deg
Rear Toe: .34 deg total
Rear Camber: - 2.0
KT: 3 on motorsports gauge

I re-sprung the front end with 457 lb Springs. Set rear sways to neutral and +1 stiffness in the front. And put a new set of NT01s 245/275.

​​​​​

Holy smokes... Cannot describe the difference in the car. I was sweating bullets to run a 2:04 at TWS before, and I was able to run a 1:58.4 in yellow group traffic this weekend. So predictable, so much fun, just a riot.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think springs and tires made the day. I'll most likely pull the front toe back to zero, besides that continue to drive the tires off it.

Thanks for all the help, especially Bill and Matt.

Quick Reply: 993, Outrageous Oversteer