Sponsored by:

Priorities when learning a track

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

all very good advice.
I have one to add to the list. If you can find a simulator (xbox, playstation, iRacing etc....) of the track, run it as much as you can.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
If you can find a simulator (xbox, playstation, iRacing etc....) of the track, run it as much as you can.
While not for everyone, I agree.

Even the simple consoles and older games (remember Sports Car GT and GTR?) can give you enough information to know what comes next.

I spent a lot of time ten years ago bringing drivers to my facility at VIR to work on my simulator with me, with track notes, briefing and debriefing between sim sessions as well as data export (and comparison to me) readily available to them. It was a real game-changing time for amateur and club-level racers and DE folks. Still is... I really like iRacing.

I do it remotely now, when my schedule allows. Private hosted iRacing sessions online, with the client in the comfort of their own home and me hundreds or thousands of miles away, first doing an hour-long "track walk" from corner to corner, then slow lead-follow.

When Barber opened, a good sim to practice was custom built for rFactor. I spent a few hours a week for a few weeks before I went, because no one I was racing with (including me) had ever been there before.

Won the race over 12 other people... In a spec class.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-18-2017, 02:41 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My technique for learning a new track involves the following. Asking for a lead follow or simply finding a slower car that's easy for me to keep up with (and has a driver that knows the track). I learned Mid-Ohio in one session following a local in an American Iron Mustang for about 10 laps. Even better is a ride along. The feel of the track is a sensory benefit that can't be ignored. Muscle memory is gained much quicker when you aren't second guessing your own inputs or suffering from sensory overload or a track that has a ton of turns (See NCM).

If you follow someone with knowledge of the track, then likely you can find someone to give you insider tips on the track as well. While following (or riding) you can utilize some vision to note corner stations, runoff areas and curbing usage,(or not). Gauging relative understeer will give you an idea of which sections of track have less grip and/or are off camber.

All of this accelerates the where to go process, and then it's just fine tuning braking zones which takes the longest to me to maximize the timing of the on/off braking to maximize entry speed with accurate turn in and early throttle application on exit. Of course all of this is assuming you have done lots of video and track map study leading up to the event.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:07 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

As good as reviewing videos, riding with someone with "local knowledge" and lead-follow is, it's still using a "variable" as a reference...

Make sure the information you use in your study is vetted, supported by good results and, most importantly, meets all the "best practices" of executing fundamental skills well, before deciding to adopt it as your own...
Old 04-18-2017, 12:57 PM
wanna911
Race Car

As a novice, most things will be variable, including instruction techniques. Not only that, every lap one drives will be variable in some way. The goal is to reduce time spent guessing or trying to figure out approaches to turns. I opted not to repeat the fundamentals mentioned in earlier posts. The purpose of lead/follow or ride along is to develop a baseline, not a fixture as many people take different approaches to many turns at pretty much every track. It's a fast forward button to muscle and cognitive memory if you want to learn where to go on a track quickly, especially ones with a lot of technicality, blind turns or nuances. Eyes up isn't going to help you much under the turn 11 bridge at Road Atlanta or going into turn 3 or even turning into the esses just to name a few. Neither is a 1d track map. Good techniques for learning a new track are pretty much always available in the pits.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanna911
Not only that, every lap one drives will be variable in some way.

The goal is to reduce time spent guessing or trying to figure out approaches to turns.

Eyes up isn't going to help you much under the turn 11 bridge at Road Atlanta or going into turn 3 or even turning into the esses

Neither is a 1d track map.

Good techniques for learning a new track are pretty much always available in the pits.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, then. The great thing about this sport.

The purpose of study is to prevent the dichotomy that exists in your seemingly analogous statements (the first two bolded sentences). I agree that every lap drivers take is variable TO THEIR DESIGN because of application...

As far as eyes up, how many landmarks (as well as alignments of visual objects triggering a control input) would you like me to supply for each of those three approaches and turn-in's at Road Atlanta? <grin>

A 1d track map is the ideal place to start... and to revisit after EVERY session.

Yes, those great techniques available in the pits are generally worth what you pay for them. I hope you can see my smile when I type this!

THE number ONE reason given by almost every instructor hiring me (and most others) is that they WANT clarity and control input definition (and precise, half-dollar size location) not available through self-study and/or Seneca Lodge bar debriefs.

Just having fun! Thanks for posting that.

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-18-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Seneca Lodge bar debriefs.
Oh boy........
Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gbuff
Oh boy........
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

if not already mentioned,check google maps, paddock, grid, corner stations, runoff, & bathrooms.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...!4d-76.9263577
Old 04-19-2017, 03:26 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, then. The great thing about this sport.

The purpose of study is to prevent the dichotomy that exists in your seemingly analogous statements (the first two bolded sentences). I agree that every lap drivers take is variable TO THEIR DESIGN because of application...

As far as eyes up, how many landmarks (as well as alignments of visual objects triggering a control input) would you like me to supply for each of those three approaches and turn-in's at Road Atlanta? <grin>

A 1d track map is the ideal place to start... and to revisit after EVERY session.

Yes, those great techniques available in the pits are generally worth what you pay for them. I hope you can see my smile when I type this!

THE number ONE reason given by almost every instructor hiring me (and most others) is that they WANT clarity and control input definition (and precise, half-dollar size location) not available through self-study and/or Seneca Lodge bar debriefs.

Just having fun! Thanks for posting that.
No offense taken, I get your point. Conversely I've done either lead follows for guys with coaches present who were practicing all wrong techniques for much of the track. So in some cases you get much less than you paid for and could have gotten for free by asking around. Driver coaching has no litmus for verification as far as I know. Any dude could call them self a driving coach (or instructor). And even the ones that have proven themselves, often still have different approaches. I've watched post and or listened to in person to guys like yourself and VR to see your level of detail, but unfortunately, I can say that is not the norm.

I'd argue that the more visual points you give, the harder they are to follow during a hot track session. In addition steering wheel speed must be conveyed, adding another element of difficulty. How many points are there for NCM? Good luck getting someone to remember 30 something actual turns worth of points while on a lap. A moderately paced lead follow or ride the first couple of sessions out is helpful for almost every new visitor to a track. And a supplement for hrs of study or sim time. Even after several sessions on track with an instructor, students usually benefit greatly from ride alongs with an instructor or advanced level driver.

Not to mention as I said, the ability to dedicate some level of recognition to runoff and corner stations, something that would be next to impossible trying to apply a ton of track notes.

Agreed to disagree.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanna911
No offense taken, I get your point. Conversely I've done either lead follows for guys with coaches present who were practicing all wrong techniques for much of the track. So in some cases you get much less than you paid for and could have gotten for free by asking around. Driver coaching has no litmus for verification as far as I know. I've watched post and or listened to in person to guys like yourself and VR to see your level of detail, but unfortunately, I can say that is not the norm.

I'd argue that the more visual points you give, the harder they are to follow during a hot track session.

Even after several sessions on track with an instructor, students usually benefit greatly from ride alongs with an instructor or advanced level driver.

Agreed to disagree.

Hah! Now, it sounds like you and I are in good alignment!

I do think if specific landmarks are "parceled" out at a rate that does not overload the n00b driver, that's really important stuff. It helps train the eyes, for sure.

Great thread!
Old 09-13-2022, 04:21 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Palmer

I personally love the track! Very technical . It’s a track that really requires you using your vision properly. The term leave is great when it comes to Apex it is especially true here. Contrary to some of the comments there is plenty of run off. If you have been to Watkins Glen,those jersey barriers are up close and personal as you go thru the esses!
I think the advice that Peter Krause gave is very accurate.
They continue to make improvements. It’s real drivers track. plus I enjoy being able to drive it in both directions!
everyone is Entitled to there opinion.
Watch some current in car videos and make your own decision!

Last edited by roketman; 09-13-2022 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:39 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

First I like to know where the don't f*up corners are -- so I can work up to them gradually.

Then, if you have multiple tracks you have been to, break the current track down into segments of other tracks/corners you have run in the past. More often than not -- corner A at a track, is vey similar to a corner B you know from some other track. Or this sequence reminds me of "XYZ".. etc.

Then start putting the sections together. I like to have had watched enough video -- so that I always have a mental image of where I am on the track -- and what corners are coming up. Especially useful for the blind corners, and/or crests.

Especially take note of where pit out is -- and try to identify the corner stations early on -- before you ramp up your speed and other things are consuming your bandwidth.

Usually after a session or two -- I've got the track in muscle memory mode -- and then it's a matter of attacking different sections and building confidence.
The following users liked this post:
roketman (09-13-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 05:54 PM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Alan Johnson - Driving in Competition

Originally Posted by joeykid
Focus on the turns that lead onto the longest straights.
As per Alan Johnson there are 3 types of corners:
Type 1 - Leads onto the straight
Type 2 - at the end of a straight - not leading onto a straight
Type 3 - linking corners but no straights

You should concentrate on them in order, Type 1 then Type 2 and finally Type 3

Greg Phillips
The following users liked this post:
ace37 (09-16-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 06:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

- In coordination with a track map, watch videos by pro drivers and memorize the lap so you can correlate the video with the map, without looking at the map
- Make note of roughly how many degrees of turn each turn is
- Memorize where the apexes are for each turn
- When driving the lap, start SLOW and brake early, incrementally picking up pace and braking later, factoring in what the runoff area is like in each turn

Quick Reply: Priorities when learning a track