Sponsored by:

Schroth SHR FLEX question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Schroth SHR FLEX question

Just switched to this H&N from a Simpson Hybrid, had a HANS Pro before that. On the previous two I could bend my head forward and feel the straps stop forward movement. Using this one, same helmet, I can contact the H&N with the bottom (chin) of the helmet when bending my head forward when buckled in. Doesn't seem to hit the stops, almost like the straps are too long? Pretty simple device, what the heck am I doing wrong?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:55 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I noticed the same thing, I think the tethers on the Flex are longer than my HANS Pro too but I'm sure they will still function as intended.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I noticed the same thing, I think the tethers on the Flex are longer than my HANS Pro too but I'm sure they will still function as intended.
Don't see how as my helmet hits the straps and there is still slack in the straps!
Old 04-14-2017, 01:13 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think a lot has to do with the angle of the shoulder straps. The more they are mounted below 0 degrees( horizontal) the less the unit can raise itself. Mine is the same....and has much more movement than the impact accel unit.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I'd call HMS and ask them. They are the importers and know the product best. The little details like this on all the different HNR make it hard to know what is correct with each one.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:33 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it Gary; your head isn't one of your best assets anyway ��.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:33 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Don't see how as my helmet hits the straps and there is still slack in the straps!
If you watch the sled test videos with a HANS the head still moves a good bit before the H&N device kicks in. I suspect the tether length for Schroth is still within spec just longer than some other brands.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:58 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

some of the others will let you custom order tether length. I assume schroth would do the same, since I custom order all of my harnesses by changing the pull down to pull up as well as custom length of belts.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:31 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Push the shr all the way back on your shoulders. If it rides right on the back of your neck... It seems loose...

When you watch the videos, the shoulder belts dig into your shoulders about 6 inches as you propel forward... That takes up the slack
Old 04-16-2017, 12:01 AM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one too and am considering switching to a Simpson hybrid. While I do understand how they work and the video shows the slack being taken up, it would seem like it would subject your neck to a higher G load than other HNS devices.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:56 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone else have any credible information to add? I am still considering replacing this thing - it just doesn’t seem as safe as others.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:01 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone else have any credible information to add? I am still considering replacing this thing - it just doesn’t seem as safe as others.
I have the SHR Flex. I would not recommend it. The rubber "pads" dig into your collarbones something fierce. The only reason I have not replaced mine is b/c I paid $500 for it and it's another $500 for a new HANS Sport 3.

I actually zip-tied HANS gel pads onto my SHR Flex. Before that my collarbones were sore for a week after a track weekend. I wish Schroth would make a pad kit for it but they don't.

The only advantage I see to the SHR Flex is that at certain seat angles it does not force your head forward like most of the HANS would.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 AM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the Schroth documentation also says the tethers may feel loose/longer than other H&N restraints but it’s normal.

I also have the Flex and didn’t experience the issues that Nickshu experienced. Been using it for over a year and just used it for a full weekend at the NASA/BMW CCA racing school recently at Buttonwillow in my Cayman S.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:14 AM
schaibaa
Instructor

Mine feels great, I’m just worried about safety. I wish Schroth would give more detail about how/why the tethers feel so loose.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:06 PM
GSM
Track Day

I've been using the Schroth flex for the last year and at first had the same concern - feels like the tethers are too long. My interpretation of how it works is that as the belts catch you when moving forward, they also catch the rubber top surface on the harness and actually pull it back, which in turn causes the tethers to take up slack and provide support. I'll caveat this as just my amateur observation. I do place a lot of stock in Schroth's expertise in this arena and trust that they have done their homework. I will say that the SHR did not conform very well to my collar bone and did not feel very comfortable at first. Over time I learned to adjust it when I belt in so that I no longer feel it. Happy with it now.

Quick Reply: Schroth SHR FLEX question