Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Protocol re Driving Student's Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:05 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default General Protocol re Driving Student's Car?

So: I've mixed feelings about driving the student's car.
I will do so if the club requests that I do it (I touch base w the student on that ahead of time and encourage they insure the car), but I find most clubs will "suggest it" but will leave it up to the student/instructor to decide.

Personally, I'd prefer to do it at parade laps because of reduced liability and risk, but that's not really providing the learning experience that it would be intended to do.
At times, I've driven students' cars on a hot track, but only at 6-7/10s. It feels slightly intrusive (to me) to broach the subject with the student and so I very rarerly do.

Having said that, it's not uncommon for me to ask a mentor/fellow instructor/pro drive my car at speed with me riding in it: I find that to be an EXCELLENT learning tool. Let's me see what I'm missing.

Because of that, I sometimes find myself wanting to drive the student *in their own car* to help them see the vehicle dynamics and to build some confidence in allowing themselves to take incremental steps and improve their skills.

Seeking input from senior/experienced instructors here: what do you think about driving a student's car?

(Yes, I did check out this old thread as well. https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-s-de-car.html)

Some insights for sure, but I'm asking a different question:
What about driving the car when the club does not require it, but does suggest it?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I only will drive a students car if and only if they are a novice or new to the track, and then only the first session for a couple of laps to show them the track, the line, flag stations etc and at novice run group appropriate speed. I always ask for permission first and never have been refused.
I might also take them for a ride in my car, one run group higher, if they learn by watching and/or I want to reinforce something I've instructed.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
I only will drive a students car if and only if they are a novice or new to the track, and then only the first session for a couple of laps to show them the track, the line, flag stations etc and at novice run group appropriate speed. I always ask for permission first and never have been refused.
I might also take them for a ride in my car, one run group higher, if they learn by watching and/or I want to reinforce something I've instructed.
I agree with Rick...
Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I agree with Rick...
Me as well.

Most groups I instruct with basically require this from a first time novice student at their track. I've found that this helps the student compared to other organizations that forbid an instructor driving a student's car and want them to be talked thru it. IMHO that takes longer for a student to learn.
The caveat here is that I will not drive a student's car the whole session. I will pull into the pits after a couple or so laps and switch places with him so that they can show me how much they have retained. Afterall they are here to experience and have fun.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Obviously I drive a lot of cars at a lot of events. Never 10/10 even alone, much less with the owner as a passenger. Always with the understanding that the owner assumes all risk unless I money shift .
Old 03-28-2017, 07:57 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving a students car is like taking your drunk buddy home in his car even though it's not insured.

It's noble. A great idea on the surface. And a fabulous gesture unless something really bad happens, probably not due to your fault.

Surprised that pca can't pay their insurer a couple bucks to provide collision coverage for instructors while teaching...

Would help ease everyone's mind...
Old 03-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Obviously I drive a lot of cars at a lot of events. Never 10/10 even alone, much less with the owner as a passenger. Always with the understanding that the owner assumes all risk unless I money shift .
60% at most with the student or myself driving. It's a lesson- not racing after all.
I know It creeps beyond that but that's when we whoa!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:32 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

No way, no how.

What's the point? If you're doing it at parade lap or even 5/10th's, just take them out in your own car.

Even if you want to do a more spirited lap, your own car is the way to go.

I have no desire to even think of entangling myself if some weird circumstance happens on track and the students car gets damaged.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:57 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

At CVR there is an effort made, at least at the beginner levels, to match instructor cars with students cars. This way an instructor can take the student out in the "same" car.

Funny thing is I have had many pro driver drive my car close to 10/10 so that I can learn my limits. But the car is always insured with that.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:24 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
At CVR there is an effort made, at least at the beginner levels, to match instructor cars with students cars.
Good policy. Most I know try to do the same AFAIK.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:26 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
No way, no how.

What's the point? If you're doing it at parade lap or even 5/10th's, just take them out in your own car.

Even if you want to do a more spirited lap, your own car is the way to go.

I have no desire to even think of entangling myself if some weird circumstance happens on track and the students car gets damaged.
Your point and preference are well taken. What about the instructors who don't have a passenger seat since they are using their race series car?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:48 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
This is my expectation from a coach, a paid instructor. We are not paid instructors and any novices expectations of us accepting risk is unwarranted. I do not drive students cars except on touring speed laps. If I want to show a student a particular skill or aspect of the track I do it in my car and try to explain any differences between how their car may react compared to mine.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:52 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

No way. Nothing to be gained. Only downside risk. Don't want to have the awkward conversation if a deer jumps the fence and hits the car, someone loses their brakes and hits you, something goes wrong with the car, etc. not worth it. And no insurance coverage.

If student REALLY wants me to drive it- ok on the street and at legal speeds. (Did that with original 427 Cobra).

If I need to take a student for a ride- we use my car
Old 03-29-2017, 08:52 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our club suggests it for folks brand new to the track experience and then only for 2-3 laps during the first session to point out the line, flags, brake markers etc.

I will do it under those circumstances and it's usually at less than 5/10ths as the first lap is always under yellow.

If they have ANY track experience whatsoever I let them do the driving, even if they're new to that particular course.

It's still assuming some risk, but under those rules, I think it's pretty manageable. Don't know whether that helps or not.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I do the PCA thing of the first 2 laps driving a novice's car only if he has never been at that track, never higher than regular highway speeds. As said, I'm not a pro coach and this is for the benefit of student (and instructor) that he sees what is about to happen in a moment.
Some regions schedule parade laps at the beginning of the day making this unnecessary, but we don't see early parade laps in most NE regions.

Quick Reply: General Protocol re Driving Student's Car?