Sponsored by:

Boxster Dry Sump System

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:21 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Has anyone petitioned PCA about getting this approved for Spec Cayman?

Once I find a car, I'm starting an SPC build over the winter. Seems like this is a no-brainer, if approved.
We have talked about this in the group and I think that Keith might be bringing this to Walt. Great system but unfortunately a bit pricey, for now?

Welcome to SPC.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Surfbum
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

FFaust, please don't take this the wrong way, but your post suggests that the cost of the unit would be a determining factor on approving the system.

I am brand new to Spec Box and I have already lost one motor, it would appear to me that if an owner would prefer to spend his dollars for a preventative measure he should be given the choice to do so.

I have to travel out of state for every POC/PCA race, when you look at the costs associated with travel and not being able to finish a weekend due to a motor failure, that gets real expensive fast.

I hope "the powers to be" keep those thoughts in mind when considering approving this system.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:43 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Surfbum
FFaust, please don't take this the wrong way, but your post suggests that the cost of the unit would be a determining factor on approving the system.

I am brand new to Spec Box and I have already lost one motor, it would appear to me that if an owner would prefer to spend his dollars for a preventative measure he should be given the choice to do so.

I have to travel out of state for every POC/PCA race, when you look at the costs associated with travel and not being able to finish a weekend due to a motor failure, that gets real expensive fast.

I hope "the powers to be" keep those thoughts in mind when considering approving this system.
Oops, didn't mean it that way. Just meant that it was a bit expensive for me.

I don't think that cost would/should affect the approval process since the system only improves reliability, not performance. I am just a racer, nothing to do with the approval, but I absolutely agree with your comments.

You and I are in a similar boat: I am new to SPC and blew the motor during the first event. I then took the 3.4 out of my wife's Cayman and will be giving her the 2.7 that was originally in my 987 before conversion to SPC (love you honey). But now I no longer have a spare, so dry sump might be one of my next mods.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:02 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Wow.. Another blown SPB/SPC motor... These seem to be dropping like flies.... Maybe I should hold out UNTIL dry sump is approved before I jump in.

I have a buddy that bought a Cayman for SPC, and blew the motor on its first outing... Now I keep hearing of more and more casualties...

What does a reman 3.4 cost these days (assuming you wont have a core)?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:30 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

To be fair, the motor "might" have had 120,000 miles on it. It came out of a salvage that had 45,000 miles on the speedo. I did a Carfax before the swap and, to my chagrin, it came out at the higher number. Not sure what happened there.

Also, I definitely over-drove the motor, down-shifting to second way too much. I was also constantly hitting the rev limiter on acceleration (was hard to get used to a 7000 rpm red line coming from the GT3, lol). Ended up with 22,000 range 1 over-revs and some range 2 and 3, having started with barely any.

Don't know about cost to rebuild, but there are PCA-approved non-oem parts to chose from that are cheaper and possibly better suited for our use. Best might be to buy a used motor from a salvage car.

My wife's 987 was also a salvage, lightly damaged but salvage nonetheless. It had only 25,000 miles, so I should be good for a while.

To quote Matt Distefano, it's better to buy an engine every couple of years than to overhaul a cup engine at its prescribed schedule.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 68 Posts

For the Cayman version, will there be a long hose version to put it in the front trunk? If/when I crash, I would prefer to have it not in the cabin with me...
Old 08-20-2017, 11:28 AM
CTS
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 87 Posts

I address this in a post at boxsterdrysump.wordpress.com.

Originally Posted by facelvega
For the Cayman version, will there be a long hose version to put it in the front trunk? If/when I crash, I would prefer to have it not in the cabin with me...
Old 08-20-2017, 09:05 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Nice! Clock is ticking boys, get to wrenching! Heading to MAM tomorrow to shake down 02, then off to HPR we go!
The pros are on it.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:11 PM
CTS
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 87 Posts

24 Hour race report at boxsterdrysump.wordpress.com.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:01 AM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Race report....

CTS killed it! 1,2 again. The rest of us just watching in awe as they passed us over and over again.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:41 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jaundice
Race report....

CTS killed it! 1,2 again. The rest of us just watching in awe as they passed us over and over again.
Met Chris and his wife over the weekend at WRL, very nice folks.

The dry sump system is a thing of beauty. The data certainly speaks for itself.

As a new to me SPB owner -- I'd be interested in seeing it adapted.

Will there be a long hose system for SPB -- more room in the frunk, lowering the mass, balancing weight distribution? Would that lower the pressure, would the stock oil pump struggle pushing fluid that far?

Oh and yeah -- all the damn Boxster's were quick as sh*t out there :-) So for CTS to take 1,2 is quite an accomplishment.

Mike
Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

One of our cars had the dry sump in for the 24. Other car soon enough.
Data for the one with is ridiculous - essentially a flat line for pressure. No smoking, no loss of oil. Just perfect. Other car looked like a profile of the Rocky Mountains.
And yeah - Boxsters were well represented at the front of the field. Top 5 positions in GP1 were Boxsters.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:21 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
Data for the one with is ridiculous - essentially a flat line for pressure. No smoking, no loss of oil. Just perfect. Other car looked like a profile of the Rocky Mountains.
And yeah - Boxsters were well represented at the front of the field. Top 5 positions in GP1 were Boxsters.
LOL. Soon enough is here. Post-24 and the other car's engine is getting ready to poop. New engine en route, will be adding dry sump to that one as well.
Car 1 had about 100 hours race time on the 3.2 before it was toast. Second car crossed 100 hours during the 24. That's my small sample size benchmark for you. 100 hours.
They were run at COTA, Road Atlanta, High Plains, Road America, Daytona and Heartland Park.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:21 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
LOL. Soon enough is here. Post-24 and the other car's engine is getting ready to poop. New engine en route, will be adding dry sump to that one as well.
Car 1 had about 100 hours race time on the 3.2 before it was toast. Second car crossed 100 hours during the 24. That's my small sample size benchmark for you. 100 hours.
They were run at COTA, Road Atlanta, High Plains, Road America, Daytona and Heartland Park.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Cnsprcy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry Sump

I have been racing in Chris's two Boxsters for over two years now and have raced them in over 20 endurance races over eight hours including 14 hours at Daytona, 25 hours at Thunderhill and 24 hours at HPR. I raced them when they were 'unprotected' 2.5L cars to the beautiful iteration they are now. I also own and extensively race two spec boxsters in PCA and NASA. I am putting this dry-sump in my SPB and Chris is nearly finished with converting my other SPB into a NASA GTS3 car with a 3.2L, dry-sump protected motor. Over the last few years as we've campaigned Chris's cars and my cars there has always been the nagging feeling in the back of your mind, especially on certain track configurations, that the motors will blow. I blew one in my SPB in 2016 and one of Chris's 2.7s in 2015. I, and we, no longer worry about the motors. The oil starvation problem is solved and the cars just perform. To those who say the math on the cost of a dry-sump doesn't pencil against a 2.5L motor replacement you are probably correct but the real question is how much is your time worth? If i haul my car from Denver to Sebring and it blows on Thursday, how much has that cost me in dollars and lost racing time? For me it's a no brainer. Chris's dry-sump system is an F1 quality work of art. He overbuilt and overdesigned it with endurance racing in mind and has extensively tested it this year. It might be an exaggeration to say that a motor with dry-sump protection that is sprint-raced will last nearly forever but not far from it.

Quick Reply: Boxster Dry Sump System