Sponsored by:

HANS uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:40 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default HANS uncomfortable

Anyone have issues with their HANS being uncomfortable? I have the wider Schroth 6 pts and I have to cinch down the shoulder straps pretty tight to keep them from falling off the yokes on the HANS during driving. As a result it makes it pretty uncomfortable on my collar bone.

I'm thinking about trying the gel pads instead of the stock foam pads. The other option is perhaps getting a thinner upper shoulder strap style harness so I don't have to cinch down the straps so tight to keep the harnesses positioned correctly on the HANS.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:54 AM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

In my experience gel pads didn't help.
I just switched to Necksgen Rev2.
Very happy with the comfort vs Hans.
I really forgot I was wearing it.
Worth a look.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I mention the thinner belts is because I ran them on a SPB in WRL and did not have as much discomfort with the same HANS. I was able to run the harnesses a tiny bit looser since the thinner belts stayed on the yokes easier.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:49 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

If the belts aren't staying on your hans (easily), then the seat holes for the shoulder belts probably aren't appropriate for your size/seating position. Or you wear your belts too loose.

You really don't want belts that are anything other than very tight. Have someone take some photos when you're belted in normally and post them here.

-mike
Old 03-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile Sell what you have...

....and buy the new ones with the ridge on the collar lip. That's what I did...the HANS with the lip and the narrow Schroth belts works well. Drive with those wide bellts cinched down..not fun.

Put yours up for sale...someone will buy it.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

try it without the pads too. I was most comfortable without the pads which was not what I expected. I have some zoombang pads that were made by a company that does karting pads too that I can find if you want to try.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:23 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by fleadh
If the belts aren't staying on your hans (easily), then the seat holes for the shoulder belts probably aren't appropriate for your size/seating position. Or you wear your belts too loose.

You really don't want belts that are anything other than very tight. Have someone take some photos when you're belted in normally and post them here.

-mike
I'm using Recaro SPG XL's which are a bit large on me width wise but should be ok height wise. Perhaps my harnesses are spread out too far apart where they go around the cage in the back but I think there's supposed to be some spacing there.

I'll take a pic and post later. I do prefer my belts tight but not so tight it causes my HANS to give me a bruise.

I did not have as much of an issue with the skinnier style upper shoulder belt during a 2 hr WRL stint in SPB. I think a 2" shoulder belt may help fix the issue. That way I can run them a tiny bit looser so the HANS isn't digging in but they still stay on the device.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
try it without the pads too. I was most comfortable without the pads which was not what I expected. I have some zoombang pads that were made by a company that does karting pads too that I can find if you want to try.
Thanks I'll take out the pads tonight and see if that is any better. I would have never thought of that since bare hard carbon on the shoulder did not seem like it would be very comfortable.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Same here.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

My Hans came with thin foam pads and I found them to be uncomfortable and would even have bruises on my shoulders after an event (I cinch my belts tight). I switched to some other pads from a newer Hans that are like little air balloons and it solved my issues, no problems now.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:48 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Sloppy seat fit (laterally) might be part of the problem too.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a vintage FF so I changed from the fixed angle HANS to the adjustable version. You can set the angle between the collar and the "arms" to about anything you want. No more one size fits all bs.
Jim
Old 03-14-2017, 05:54 PM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Yeah I had my seats installed upright and when I tilted them back 20° I found the HANS much more comfortable.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:49 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

for this same reason, I now own the schroth flex, the impact accel unit, hans, and the leatt brace....

I need to do a review of them all.

Flex is the most comfortable. I couldnt get behind the concept of the nextgen unit when watching the sled test videos.

Impact accel has the best side to side and front to back protection, but I hate the QR anchors they use, they clang around on my helmet too much. Oh, and the back of the unit will tear up a seat.

Leatt would be great for a 20 or 30 degree seat, or someone real barrel chested, but I sit up right and the angels dont work for me.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

When you tightened the harnesses, make sure the excess of the 3 inch belts is to the inside, not hanging over the outer edge of the HANS. Also check where they are looped around the cage and make sure they aren't too far apart.

Quick Reply: HANS uncomfortable