Sponsored by:

Crazy track session

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
IMO, groupings and vetting those wanting to be in certain groups, both up and down, is CRITICAL to establishing balance within the group.

It used to be that there was an unending cycle of folks who were wanting to be promoted or assigned to a "higher experience or car/driver potential" group than their experience/capability warranted.

Now, I have seen folks in BIG performance potential cars intentionally "underrate" their abilities or experience so that they get placed in a "lesser experience or car/driver potential" group where their speed (and often skill, going the other way) is often far out of the median of the rest of the group. This so they can "pass everything in the group" and avoid being overrun in the more advanced group.

It's always tough to get the balance right, but it can be done. And NEEDS to be done, for safety, IMO.
Couldn't agree more. Even in advanced/instructors groups there are people that have no business being there. People aren't comfortable with passing in corners or pointing by either direction depending on the scenario.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That's the challenge of trying to keep things safe in an inherently dangerous sport. I'm the current safety chair for the AZPCA and although I do what I can do ensure cars are teched and safety gear (helmets, harnesses) is current and correct...ultimately you just can't save people from themselves once they are out on track.

One thing I really like about NASA events is that they have a driver "download" or debrief after each session to identify the good and bad of what took place out on track. I think that's really helpful in keeping everyone calibrated and doing what they are supposed too.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:59 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Never done it but I like that download concept..
Even if it's not at the end of each session and or end of day one.

Each run group gets together and chats...

One thing I liked about a recent event at sebring was that the did a pre grid and asked people to line up to where they belong.
Laptime under x on row 1 and above in row 2
Within a row find the spot where you belong. You spend a good part of session with people around you who at do similar speeds: safer but also more fun
You would see people adjust up down as things worked out on track.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

That's a pretty strong statement of the effectiveness of their culture. Or, they're incredibly lucky...
HOD runs a tight ship. Very professional and don't tolerate idiots.

IMO, groupings and vetting those wanting to be in certain groups, both up and down, is CRITICAL to establishing balance within the group.
It's always tough to get the balance right, but it can be done. And NEEDS to be done, for safety, IMO.
It's a balance of skill and lap times. Our local PCA group runs transponders for everyone for the sole reason of mapping skill to speed. And actively move people up and down all weekend. It works very well.

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
One thing I've noticed - it seems like the intermediate groups are always the sketchiest.
Yeah, pretty much. I showed up at a track day in my 964 with a group I don't normally run with. I ran in intermediate as advanced was full on race cars and lots of Porsche GT cars. First session I immediate moved to advanced. 3rd lap I get a point, inside pass, normal stuff, first the idiot doesn't lift, I get by him OK then he starts to turn in on me. Had to slam on the brakes and he spun out.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 PM
ElusiveDaveH
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I absolutely agree with transponders in all cars to gauge ability. I have been with Chin most of my DE life since I have seen buffoonery in other DE experiences. I am very comfortable in Advanced groups in Chin since I know them and trust them. I would run in other DE groups if transponders are required.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:49 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
..... I get a point, inside pass, normal stuff, first the idiot doesn't lift, I get by him OK then he starts to turn in on me. Had to slam on the brakes and he spun out.
Been there as well - love those late passes in advanced. Afterwards his excuse was that I had 40 - 50 more HP and he didn't need to lift.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:11 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ElusiveDaveH
I absolutely agree with transponders in all cars to gauge ability. I have been with Chin most of my DE life since I have seen buffoonery in other DE experiences. I am very comfortable in Advanced groups in Chin since I know them and trust them. I would run in other DE groups if transponders are required.
Trust me, I've seen a$$-hattery with chin, too!'

But to the earlier point, I think it's experience and skill more than speed that is the key to good run groupings. Miata drivers with good skills and great track awareness do OK at DE with faster cars, as long as everyone, both faster and slower, is predicable and aware.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by ElusiveDaveH
As much as I fuss about mixed groups, I'd be concerned if an organization used transponders as the primary method of determining assignments. A lap time is only one small part of the equation, and two cars can make the same lap time quite differently, enough to trip over each other.

i prefer an interview and a review of documented experience. Awareness, buy-in to a safe and courteous DE culture is what I am looking for, not slotting the whole lot according to one, broad and incomplete measure.

I have seen TrackDaze use OPTIONAL RFID tags, but few DE folks invest in or use AMB or other transponders for this purpose. I don't think Chin requires or suggests using them.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:11 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Transponders changes the insurance for the groups. Suddenly they become "timed events".

I would not expect many orgs to adopt timing equipment.

Plus, as ProCoach says... laptime is only one of several measures for a driver's ability. One guy sets a FLYER of a lap but is out of control, vs. the guy who sets an okay lap BUT is consistent, under control, observant, etc.

Really probably a good "requirement" for allowing people to move up? Check rides. Put somebody in the car (or lead/follow) and require a personal sign-off before a group bump.

A lot of participants will complain, I'm sure.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Transponders changes the insurance for the groups. Suddenly they become "timed events".

Really probably a good "requirement" for allowing people to move up? Check rides. Put somebody in the car (or lead/follow) and require a personal sign-off before a group bump.
For the former, the addition of transponders or timing equipment ALONE does not alter the insurance underwriting for DE or other non-competition events, contrary to some club's beliefs. Fought this old wive's tale for decades...

It is ONLY WHEN THOSE TIMES are COLLECTIVELY, CENTRALLY and PUBLICLY posted, hence available for READY, PUBLIC comparison, that it becomes an insurance issue. One of the greatest fallacies of the DE organizing mind hive...

On the latter, that's the ONLY way Chin does it, through check rides. Even experienced Chin drivers, at a new track, must go through the check ride in a more novice group to allow the organizers key access, to make sure that driver has their head on straight.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-16-2017, 01:09 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

For the former, the addition of transponders or timing equipment ALONE does not alter the insurance underwriting for DE or other non-competition events, contrary to some club's beliefs. Fought this old wive's tale for decades...

It is ONLY WHEN THOSE TIMES are COLLECTIVELY, CENTRALLY and PUBLICLY posted, hence available for READY, PUBLIC comparison, that it becomes an insurance issue. One of the greatest fallacies of the DE organizing mind hive...

On the latter, that's the ONLY way Chin does it, through check rides. Even experienced Chin drivers, at a new track, must go through the check ride in a more novice group to allow the organizers key access, to make sure that driver has their head on straight.
Ok I see - noted and makes sense.

Transponder data would NOT be available to anyone but event officials. That would alleviate most of that concern (though you KNOW the "officials" would be competing amongst each other lol...)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Transponder data would NOT be available to anyone but event officials. That would alleviate most of that concern (though you KNOW the "officials" would be competing amongst each other lol...)
Betting for beers at the hotel bar! <grin->
Old 03-16-2017, 01:46 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Betting for beers at the hotel bar! <grin->
Looser picks up the dinner tab.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:07 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car to car is a huge no-no. It's a clear indication that the drivers are not aware of their surroundings or driving in a predictable manner. Your single lap sounded insane - you should have purchased a lottery ticket to test your luck.

Quick Reply: Crazy track session