Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance of MCS suspension at the track on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:25 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Red face Performance of MCS suspension at the track on...

Performance of MCS suspension at the track on...full soft street settings. Back in November 2916, I had set the compression and rebound to full soft for a 500 mile road trip in my street/track 993....than, in a severe senior moment, I forgot about having done this. Note I do have a track check off list, and specifically stated, the MCS settings are delineated.

In December I ran Buttonwillow Race 1 CW with the bypass. I was 5 seconds off my other 993 competitor Todd, that I usually run pretty tight with over the past few years. OK, he was on Hoosiers...I was on Nittos, that's 2 seconds in his favor, but I was still 3 seconds slower than him, for some known, and some unknown reasons...but one known is certain, I had the compression and rebound settings on full soft: banghead:

In February 2017, I ran Willow Springs, I was off the pace, couldn't figure out why, never recalling for a moment that I had full soft settings on my suspension.

Fast forward to March 11, 2017, Buttonwillow IA CW, slow and the car just wasn't hooking up to my satisfaction...On the 12th, Sunday I had the hood opened, and it hit me, why not double check the MCS settings...damn, full soft. Then I recalled what I had done the past November.

I reset compression and rebound to my standard track specs, put on a set of Fresh Hoosiers, and voila', the car handled like a dream, I knocked off 4 seconds from my previous best time of about 2:11.XX down to 2:07.90. Got around a 2003 996 Turbo and a 2003 GT3....OK, I never sought out the reasons why they couldn't out perform my little street legal car.

Damn, said I, I can hardly wait for the last run of the day, I just knew I could better the 2:07.90, looking for a 2:05!! But that was not to happen...a front wheel bearing started acting up and the car was unsafe to drive. What I really want is a 2:03.549..and that would be a track record for GT5 in the Porsche Owners Club. Dream on! I want to live that dream.

Quick Reply: Performance of MCS suspension at the track on...