Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA GT2 Survives How will Cup cars do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Dave Banazek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA GT2 Survives How will Cup cars do?

In relation to my previous post and the one regarding Cup Cars I have some information from the SCCA website which follows below. GT2 will survive and Cup Cars will be added.

I look forward to hearing the inside scoop on how the cup cars are run in SCCA, ie at what weight and with what modifications to GT2 rules (I am sure they won't have to run 16" wheels).

I think this should help the class a lot as there are a lot of Cup Car drivers. I am a little worried how it will affect us guys driving 2.8l 911s at 2040 lbs (with driver). But it would be cool if Porsche could have a car that is competetive in the class. I am not sure these old 2.8 & 3.0L cars could ever win the runoffs in GT2.

To me it looks like a "996 Cup Car" is a 3.6L car with 360-390HP weighing 2500-2600lbs. Based on this, it would seem that a well built 1900lb 3.4L 340hp PCA GT3 car would have a power to weight advantage over the Cup Cars that would show up on the straights. That does not seem to be the case. Am I missing something? Are these the "RSR cup cars" with 435-460 hp or something?

No matter how the cup car gets classed I am excited. I can still run my car and I think this will help the class. I hope we can get a bunch of you Cup Car guys out there to save the class. Maybe even see a Porsche win the Runoffs national championship. But just barely so they don't somehow make the car uncompetitive the following year.

If anyone needs info on how to get started with SCCA email or call me. It is all in in SCCA rule book, "the GCR" but it can be hard to dig out. I would really encourage all of the PCA racers in GT4, GT3 or cup cars to get involved. PCA is great but there will be a lot more SCCA races at your local tracks every year.

From the SCCA website:

During the 2003 season, the GT2 class did not meet the participation requirement for National Club Racing for the second year. Prior to the Board of Directors’ 11/03/03 conference call, the Competition Board presented to the Directors a proposal for changes to that class and outlined how it fits into the Strategic Plan which is being developed for Club Racing, and the recommendation that the class continue to participate with National status.

MOTION: To accept the GT2 proposal for 2004 which includes the following items: reclassification of the Panoz GTS to GT2, reclassification of the Porsche Cup car into GT 2, classification of the peripheral port 13B motor into GT 2, allow new motors to be classified for use in older chassis’s. These changes are effective 1/1/04.
(Clark/Porterfield) PASSED.

The Directors were presented with a summary of the plan to combine the GT 4 and GT5 classes for 2005. The Competition Board has recommended a rule change for wheels in GT5 and will make competition adjustments to weights of cars in both classes. The Board of Directors strongly supports concepts presented in the proposal. The rule change will be presented to the BOD at a later meeting.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:18 PM
bmoore
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did some comparisions between SCCA in Texas at TWS and the PCA race that was run last year. If I remember correctly the fastest time clocked in GT2 in the SCCA race on the 2.9 mile course in February was 1:50. Mike Hardage in an 2002 Supercup I believe clocked a 1:49 in the PCA race there in March. Based on what I saw in Texas I think the Cup Cars will be very competitive and a force to be reckoned with!
Old 11-10-2003, 04:30 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,
I see what you mean about the weight advantage of an early car, yet the cup car is still faster. I think more things, like areo and suspension system superiority also need to be considered to fill the gap.

Quick Reply: SCCA GT2 Survives How will Cup cars do?