Old 03-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

There are some really great training programs for drivers now. They do a great job of quantifying driver fitness and then finding ways to increase it. This is part of the reason I've worked on supplying some great driver biometrics so we can find driver problems while they are actually driving and then figuring out how to build their training programs to improve.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:24 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Indeed

It really helps me
My workout regime is YMCA based; M, W, F one hour sessions divided in 30 minute sessions of aerobic dance and
strength training using bands,, weights, and your own body weight. The focus is core, flexibility, maintaining and building muscle mass, and stamina.

Also, the aerobic dance routines "exercises" your brain utilizing cognitive skills.

My measure of success is that I can drive the race car for 30 minutes in full safety gear without using the "nanny" cool suit, in hot temperatures, with no fatique at age 75. Full disclosure, the car is a Porsche 944

​​​​​
Old 03-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the idea of neck strengthening as a critical aspect, but training w/ a 6 kg helmet is remarkable.
I'm curious: is anyone doing these type of neck strengthening exercises that were posted in the original link? If so, what helmet weights are you using?

Old 03-07-2017, 03:17 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm not sure how you boys last for those Enduros
Old 03-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

This is one of the best neck strengthening setuips I've seen http://www.iron-neck.com/
Old 03-07-2017, 03:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I prefer to follow this advice:

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-07-2017, 04:02 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

One other thing to add is importance of stretching.
This is a new one I read, stretching has very similar impact on vascular system to aerobic exercise. There was a recent study done on that. Maybe it explains why running after doing yoga is much easier.

Any of you exercise during DE/Race weekend? I tell myself I'm gonna go for a run when track goes cold but before beers, but find little motivation to do so.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:22 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
One other thing to add is importance of stretching.

Any of you exercise during DE/Race weekend? I tell myself I'm gonna go for a run when track goes cold but before beers, but find little motivation to do so.
Nope--I work out daily away from the track so I relax at the track other than stretching during the day as stated above. When you're "a bit older" like me you gotta stay loose

Gary
Old 03-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Wheelman_99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the best shape of my life when I was homeless... and the cleanest for that matter. All you can take showers came with the gym membership!

There was no rent money taking away from entry fees either...

You can really tell who is in shape and who isn't when you get out of the car after a session or a race and take a look around the paddock or impound. That said, especially on the hot days, you can usually even before that... on the track as mistakes start to creep in...

Also, I don't want to hear of anyone saying, "but I have a coolshirt!". What happens when it fails or doesn't get serviced during a pitstop? That very thing happened last year to my endurance team. I had to get back in the car after only being out an hour because the driver who replaced me cried uncle a half hour early due to his fading condition as a result of a non functioning coolshirt system on a 100 degree day. We still managed to collect our first overall win that day... I drove 181 laps, a personal record.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Wheelman_99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fitness is key to maintaining mental clarity and focus over time while under physical strain. Mental focus, calm and discipline is key to maintaining physical condition over a long session. Let one slip and the other goes... Train them both, often together.

And answering above. Stretching is very important. So is even just 15 minutes of light cardio at the end of the day to pump some blood around. This delivers nutrients and helps reduce lactic acid buildups.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

ProCoach: I love that vid. Thanks. Very user friendly and amenable to a flexible schedules.

Re Stretching...many physicians and physical therapists will agree that stretching is the "fountain of youth"....in my case I suspect that is prob quite true.

Re: track day workouts....25 min of morning yoga is mandatory. Sometimes I'll *also manage* to squeeze in a 3 mile morning run before or a 1 mile swim after the track is cold.

You know what they say....works for me but YMMV.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Every pro I know works out every day, including those of testing or a race weekend...
Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I think I am a contrarian. I'm not actively training other to stay is reasonable shape so I can ski all day. I know what is like to be in top shape after 35 years in competitive martial arts and I am no where near that today. That said I'm not quite sure I buy the conventional wisdom that a "fit" driver is a better driver. I think fitness is important if you are racing in 90 degree ambient temps with humidity. But if you can stay cool and comfortable in the car I think you win 1/2 the battle. Then I also notice that the more relaxed in the car I am the less effort it takes and my mind is more clear. I make better decisions and employ better racecraft. When I haven't raced in a while I tend to death grip the wheel and brace against it and my seat as cornering g's build. That takes energy to fight against gravity. If however, I relax and let my containment seat do its job and be finger light on the wheel I get better feedback through my butt and my hands. At the end of the race I get out of the car with heart rate barely above normal and don't sweat up my race suit or feel like I got a workout. Am I nuts or anyone else get what I am saying?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:33 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wheelman_99

You can really tell who is in shape and who isn't when you get out of the car after a session or a race and take a look around the paddock or impound. That said, especially on the hot days, you can usually even before that... on the track as mistakes start to creep in...

We still managed to collect our first overall win that day... I drove 181 laps, a personal record.
Congrats on your personal record!

Yes, you raise a good point. A couple of years ago a few tracks bros and I decided to do a karting enduro just for giggles...

Unfortunately it categorically proved my motion sickness in a public forum

....ON THE PLUS SIDE....

It illustrated that my personal semi-rigorous fitness routine served me well.
My less fitness oriented team-mates suffered great distress after their 30 min stints (with one having a near "call 911" miss from a suspected cardiac event.

Like any physically and mentally demanding activity, fitness does matter.

Quick Reply: Driver Fitness