Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left foot braking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks again, all. I've read and re-read these last posts. Rennlist is a great place to get expert experienced points. Now all I have to do is wait 'til spring .
Old 11-12-2003, 02:15 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Radical Racer
Left foot braking can be valuable in a production based car, even in a DE environment in some situations. For example, there are two places at Mid Ohio where I would LFB even in a street car. T1 to keep the car balanced, I would take flat in most cars, but LFB to take some speed off. T3 is a very light braking in most cars and you lose time moving your foot from gas to brake with such quick braking.

As far as clutchless shifting, I take exception to some of what FSAE is saying. First and foremost, it can be hard on equipment so I would not advocate that in a street car. Clutchless shifts are smoother when perfectly executed, but can abuse the gears when not well executed. Simply not worth the risk in a street car.

Second, my understanding is that you can not shift as fast without the clutch in a synchro box as you can using the clutch. I'll add that I have no personal experience, so I may be wrong. My car is non-synchro and I almost always do clutchless shifting (Up and Down). Even if it could gain a bit of time, why would you risk the gearbox at a DE (remember, that is the basis of the question that was posed)?

Finally, I disagree about clutchless shifting being difficult. It is very easy to do, and to do well in a non-pressure situaiton. In the pressure of a race, you will screw some of the shifts up and you have to decide if the potential damage is worth it. I think it is best left to non-synchro gearboxes, preferably sequential boxes.
True, not using the clutch will definitely round the gears if not done correctly, I wasn't trying to recommend it for daily driving! Using the clutch is faster for upshifting, thats why I said to not do that (except to learn). Downshifting however, is a lot harder than upshifting, and it is faster when done correctly because the car is only out of gear long enough to blip the throttle and slip it back into a lower gear... aka, no lag time. Also, becuase the clutch is never engaged, the car is not only being applied constant braking force from the rotors, but also from the engine longer, b/c the clutch is never hit. Now heel-and-toe, like I said is basically the other side of the coin. It's preference. "LFB" does pose a much higher risk of damage, but it can also help with braking a hell of a lot quicker when not ****ed up!

A sychro is meant to match the engine and gear speed when you shift... if you are not using the clutch, you are already matching them with your right foot, so the synchros aren't used! As for clutchless shifting for a sequential... well yeah, thats what dog-gears are for!

Whether or not someone wants to do this is up to them...
Old 11-12-2003, 02:17 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by wch
"quicker lap times are never moot in racing"

uh ... pretty inciteful ... you're obviously the expert ...

Cheers,

Will
'00 360 Challenge (F1)
'03 Zeus (Hewland 6 speed sequential)
'03 FF2000 Zetec (recently sold)

Edit: I think Radical, Chris & Brandon pretty much nail it. Particularly agree about Mid Ohio T1, a hairy place to learn to trail brake though.
wow, you definitely have a way with people. you went from "__________________
'93 C2 Cab
'03 575MM" to "'00 360 Challenge (F1)
'03 Zeus (Hewland 6 speed sequential)
'03 FF2000 Zetec (recently sold)"

...exactly how many exotics and racecars do you own??
Old 11-12-2003, 02:53 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

"wow, you definitely have a way with people"

Why, thanks!

"...exactly how many exotics and racecars do you own??"

Not nearly as many as I wish I could own!

See you at the track. Regards, Will

Edit:

'93 C2 cab
'03 575MM
'00 360 Challenge
'03 Zeus Sports Racer
Other toys
Old 11-12-2003, 10:40 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member