Sponsored by:

GT4 Clubsport window net

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 PM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4 Clubsport window net

What do you Clubsport owners use for window nets at PCA events? I'm planning on running a grand am style net (see pic below). In the seating position, it will hold all my limbs and helmet inside with the halo and cage squeezing the spaces down. Just want to make sure I don't have an issue.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

That looks like a center net, not a window net. I don't think that would be legal for racing
Old 02-20-2017, 10:59 PM
mdkim
Racer

If I'm not mistaken, the center net is a touch smaller.

Here's an online pic I just found showing both nets in the PCA Trophy East series; I suppose it answers my question. Car #65 is running a similar net while #47 is running a curtain style net.

My preference is for the one I can release the quickest which is the single pin grand am net. I just don't want to have to scramble on the eve of the event because somebody feels it's not a "window" net.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2017, 01:59 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i run a basic G force net in trophy east but i have seen the fancy safecraft net in trophy east as well.
Attached Images  

Last edited by tcsracing1; 02-21-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Here is what you should be looking for:

- Easy to open from inside and outside
- Easy to CLOSE by yourself (The Grand Am Net is tough to close by yourself)
- Does not impede visibility to your outside mirror (The Grand Am net impedes visibility if you sit low in your seat)

Get a simple hinge style setup that locks in the top corner and has enough of an opening that you can see your outside mirror.

I should add that technically, the Grand Am net DOES NOT comply with Appendix D of the Club Racing Rules, which requires the removal mechanism to be on top so the net will fall down when released.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

In GrandAM they were required to run two nets on the left side: the triangular restraint nets meant to protect the driver were used on both sides and a normal square net to keep limbs in the car was still used.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Here is what you should be looking for:

- Easy to open from inside and outside
- Easy to CLOSE by yourself (The Grand Am Net is tough to close by yourself)
- Does not impede visibility to your outside mirror (The Grand Am net impedes visibility if you sit low in your seat)

Get a simple hinge style setup that locks in the top corner and has enough of an opening that you can see your outside mirror.

I should add that technically, the Grand Am net DOES NOT comply with Appendix D of the Club Racing Rules, which requires the removal mechanism to be on top so the net will fall down when released.
Agreed.
Having it easy to close by myself is key. Visability is also plus.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:34 PM
mdkim
Racer

Thanks for all the advice/chatter. Just got a response this evening from PCA that they approve the grand am style net in our clubsports.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

You need another net there besides just the Safecraft net. This net is not designed to be a side window net and be used by itself. This net and the reason it was mandated in IMSA is because when mounted properly it helps to keep the drivers body contained in the seat area in extreme circumstances. The side window mounted nets are designed to keep you body inside the car and objects from outside the car from coming in. With only the Safecraft net in place you are leaving too much of an exposed area for both objects to enter and exit the car. In the best interest of your safety I would put both nets up, zip them together so they can go up and fall as one. You will still have two different points of release for the nets but they aren't too hard to get undone in the event of an emergency.

Big point for everyone in this thread to consider is to practice egress from the vehicle in the event on an emergency. First know where your switches/latches/releases are for power, fire, belts, and nets. Close your eyes and do it base on feel and memory. The more you have memorized and the more you practice the more this will become second nature to you so when the event of a fire you can get out of the car without thinking about it. Take it from one of my friends who first told me about doing this in a car even before this article was written. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...fighting-fire/

Last edited by Seth Thomas; 02-24-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:10 AM
mdkim
Racer

^ Frightening story...I had read it before in another thread. Your point on practicing quick egress is well taken.

You must have had PCA's ear because yesterday I received a quick proviso on their approval of the Safecraft net. It is approved for club racing in GT4 CS so long as arm restraints are used in conjunction.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:08 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkim
^ Frightening story...I had read it before in another thread. Your point on practicing quick egress is well taken.

You must have had PCA's ear because yesterday I received a quick proviso on their approval of the Safecraft net. It is approved for club racing in GT4 CS so long as arm restraints are used in conjunction.
Interesting. I am glad PCA is taking this approach with the Safecraft net but I wouldn't use just the Safecraft and arm restraints. The purpose of the Safecraft is keep the drivers body in the seat area of a head restraint style seat. From safety testing in certain circumstances they have found parts of the body leaving the seat area of head restraint seats. The right side and left side nets mandated by IMSA are designed to work with the head restraint seats to keep the body inside the seat area and to limit the risk of injury during a collision. Check out how much the body moves in a side impact test from the RaceTech Seats video (see test at 40 seconds in):

From the test results they have seen the first impact isn't the issue, it is the second and third impact that causes the extreme situations. At the first impact the belts have stretched, the seat has absorbed energy and then the second impact happens. This is when it is most important to have the body contained in the seat area to keep the driver safe. So yes have all these nets is a small investment and appears at times to be cumbersome but they are put in place to keep the drivers safe when they crash.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:47 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Kinda like this...
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2017, 01:29 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

just remember not to weld to the cage....

Quick Reply: GT4 Clubsport window net