Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche and signed up for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:10 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great thread. I don't want to hijack but no point in starting my own. I'm a PCA member and considering doing my first event at VIR. I spent track time during my PEC delivery in a new C2S but it's a whole other deal when considering tracking MY brand new car.

Based on the checklist above I should be ok with a cabriolet since we have deployable roll bars, right?

Other than that, it's a matter of whether I'm willing to take mine out there when the car is five months old and I still owe half of MSRP.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:40 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
This is a great thread. I don't want to hijack but no point in starting my own. I'm a PCA member and considering doing my first event at VIR. I spent track time during my PEC delivery in a new C2S but it's a whole other deal when considering tracking MY brand new car.

Based on the checklist above I should be ok with a cabriolet since we have deployable roll bars, right?

Other than that, it's a matter of whether I'm willing to take mine out there when the car is five months old and I still owe half of MSRP.
I don't believe you can track a convertible unless it has a permanent roll bar or cage...
Old 02-18-2017, 10:53 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
I don't believe you can track a convertible unless it has a permanent roll bar or cage...
Per Chin's registration page, they quote VIR's policy as:
VIR has a requirement for fixed 4-point (or better) roll bars, or 3-point hoops behind the seat for roadsters.
This is a strict track standard. Street convertibles and cabriolets with OEM roll protection are generally NOT ACCEPTED.
I can't vouch for that being VIR's policy, only that a reputable organization is reporting it as such.

This will vary by track and by organizer. I am 100% confident that there are some groups/tracks that let stock 911 cabriolets and boxsters run on track without aftermarket roll bars. Best bet is to contact the registrar of the group you want to run with and ask them.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:57 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Incorrect.
Porsche allows their convertibles to run in HPDE. BMWCCA does not. Now, you may find some regions that limit the groups they can run without additional safety measures. But the initial, beginners run group allows them.

I believe the only exception for not driving with the top up was the 987.2 Spyder because of speed limitations. Someone with a Spyder might chime in to clarify.

Disclaimer
My initial introduction to HPDE was in a base 987.2 Boxster. Did 2 events, caught the bug and traded the car for a Cayman R.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:50 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Incorrect.
Porsche allows their convertibles to run in HPDE. BMWCCA does not. Now, you may find some regions that limit the groups they can run without additional safety measures. But the initial, beginners run group allows them.

I believe the only exception for not driving with the top up was the 987.2 Spyder because of speed limitations. Someone with a Spyder might chime in to clarify.

Disclaimer
My initial introduction to HPDE was in a base 987.2 Boxster. Did 2 events, caught the bug and traded the car for a Cayman R.
Also not totally correct. Whether you can drive a convertible on track also depends on the particular track (i.e. in our area. VIR, Lime Rock and NJMP require fixed roll bars for convertibles). Certain groups, PCA, BMWCCA, etc may impose further limits. As already stated above, check with the group you are planning to register with.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:18 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Also not totally correct. Whether you can drive a convertible on track also depends on the particular track (i.e. in our area. VIR, Lime Rock and NJMP require fixed roll bars for convertibles). Certain groups, PCA, BMWCCA, etc may impose further limits. As already stated above, check with the group you are planning to register with.
So a Boxster is permitted at those tracks due to the fixed OEM rollbar but a 911 is not. Is that correct?

Thanx for the clarification. As I was addressing minimum standards I tried to cover by stating that some regions limit it. Did not take tracks into consideration since we here in the boonies don't face that; at least none of the tracks I've been to.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:43 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
Yes, PCA event at Dominion Raceway.

Lucky enough to have 2 nice tracks close to home (VIR and DR)

I should also add that I have great confidence in the local PCA instructors.
As a few of these same contributors, respond to my post last year, about going to my first HPDE you can see how so many people you have never met actually want to help you succeed and be safe.

I have two DE under my belt now and waiting for spring at WGI for my third.

When these seaoned people tell you that it can be addicting, they speak the truth.

You should be able to reread all of these posts , maybe a few times. It will help prepare you.

Have fun, drive safe and listen to your instructor. Make sure you can hear each other, don't try to be a Mario Andretti!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:19 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
When these seaoned people tell you that it can be addicting, they speak the truth.
Yeah, kinda......I started doing this on a lark--thought it'd be something neat to do; drive my car real fast w/o worrying about getting caught.

20+ years and over 600 track days later, here we are.

So, yeah, kinda

Gary
Old 02-18-2017, 04:31 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

PCA, Aug. 12, 2016
Driver #1 (Please Print): _______________________________________________________

_____ Roll Bar & Cages: Mandatory for all open & semi-open cars without manufacturer’s
structural or deploying roll over protection; roll bars must pass the broomstick rule and
must be covered with closed cell foam padding in any place where a helmet could come
in contact
This is what I was referencing, but I understand VIR may have rules which exceed these requirements.

I was hopeful after reading "mandatory for all cars without manufacturer's deploying roll over protection".
Old 02-18-2017, 06:41 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Also, there's nothing here excluding:

http://virnow.com/about/policies/
Old 02-18-2017, 06:51 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

I see cabrios, even a spinning one!
Old 02-18-2017, 07:00 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

There's nothing about convertibles period on that policies page which doesn't really address on track stuff.

The people in the video aren't wearing helmets so I'm assuming that's parade laps not an HPDE.

Call/email the organization you want to run with is the single easiest and most accurate approach.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:08 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

I added a second video of actual track time with helmets, etc. There are plenty on YouTube. I've contacted the event coordinator on Friday, but haven't heard back yet ... so in the mean time I'm turning to the internet for clues.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:59 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Also, there's nothing here excluding:

http://virnow.com/about/policies/
Look here.

http://virnow.com/wp-content/uploads...RClubRules.pdf

I'm pretty sure pop up roll bars are not sufficient for 911 cabs.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:24 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Originally Posted by sbelles
Look here.

http://virnow.com/wp-content/uploads...RClubRules.pdf

I'm pretty sure pop up roll bars are not sufficient for 911 cabs.
That document appears to apply only to the "VIR Club" events. Nevertheless, it states this:

Whether any convertible equipped solely with a factory roll over system is allowed shall be at the sole discretion of the Club.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche and signed up for HPDE