Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 10:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
Just curious...

Why is the closed face preferred? Of course common sense suggests it is, as it's more protective... But is it in hpde use?

Is it solely eye protection?

Or, is the thought that it protects you in case something massive comes through the windshield?

Or, is it to protect your jaw from hitting the steering wheel?

So, what the rationale?
All of the above. But it's your face...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-14-2017, 11:28 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Get the best helmet you can afford but if you are looking to save money you can go with a snell 2010 for about half the price of a 2015. Depending on your region rules you may have to replace it in 2020 though. Check with them first.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:58 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Get the best helmet you can afford but if you are looking to save money you can go with a snell 2010 for about half the price of a 2015. Depending on your region rules you may have to replace it in 2020 though. Check with them first.
Local chapter website noted that the SA2005 is no longer acceptable after 1/1/2017. I will check on the 2010 expiration date.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2017, 02:08 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I've been tracking my car for about four years and the only rock chips I have on my car are from when a semi suddenly cut me off and swerved onto the gravel shoulder on my way home from Laguna Seca. I get rubber scuffs if the car in front pulls offline and the little tire ***** kick up. Not saying it won't happen but so far so good.

Have a great time and as long as your tires and brakes are in good order and to the tech specs, you'll be fine.

Be warned, this hobby will strain your marriage :-)
Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Default My wife is excited for me...how lucky am I

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I've been tracking my car for about four years and the only rock chips I have on my car are from when a semi suddenly cut me off and swerved onto the gravel shoulder on my way home from Laguna Seca. I get rubber scuffs if the car in front pulls offline and the little tire ***** kick up. Not saying it won't happen but so far so good.

Have a great time and as long as your tires and brakes are in good order and to the tech specs, you'll be fine.

Be warned, this hobby will strain your marriage :-)
Sorry for all of the noob questions but I am finding this thread extremely helpful and truly appreciate all of the sincere and straight-up responses posted here.

Looking at your avatar brings another question to mind.

What happens when it rains over before and during a scheduled HPDE event? It appears it goes on in your pic. As a first time participant, should I be concerned about driving a rain-soaked course?

Al
Old 02-15-2017, 08:47 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
Sorry for all of the noob questions but I am finding this thread extremely helpful and truly appreciate all of the sincere and straight-up responses posted here.

What happens when it rains over before and during a scheduled HPDE event? It appears it goes on in your pic. As a first time participant, should I be concerned about driving a rain-soaked course?

Al
It is totally up to you as car owner/driver whether you want to go out. If you go out, the speed will be greatly reduced especially in the green run group. I wouldn't shy away from trying it. It's actually fun as you can concentrate more on the line (modified slightly for puddling etc.) Your instructor will help you out greatly with this. Have fun!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:26 AM
somdcroc
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AlBinVA,

We have a terrific instructor paired with you. I know because he has instructed me in the past. You will be hooked on the track and don't forget we will also be offering a three day event at VIR in May (full course all three days) and a fun two day event on the VIR south course in September. You will find the PCA First Settler's Region HPDE events to be fun and yet safe and educational but our paddock has to be the friendliest group of folks you will meet (except that registrar guy--he is always grumpy!). Just let me know if you need anything or I can answer any questions. Our event packet is either posted on the FSR website now or will be soon. Its great you have decided to use your car for what it is built for.

Scott
de@fsrpca.org
Old 02-15-2017, 09:27 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Al
Do all the wet driving you can! It's an ideal chance to experiment (at a lower speed) with different lines, grip, and your car's dynamics. With PCA, you'll have your window(s) down, but don't worry about the interior -- it's treated to be waterproof.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I didn't see it mentioned but full face helmets are required by law in New jersey.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:39 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Default Thanks Scott

I just noticed that Bud is confirmed for the DE so I expect you are referring to him. I have known him for over 50 years personally and understand he is highly regarded as an instructor.

OK, I am pumped now!!!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Al
like others have said, it's up to you. If you're on streetbtires... go for it. Most people chicken out in the lower groups and don't have appropriate tires in the upper groups so if you do go for it you'll get lots of secluded track time.

I actually love doing DE's in the rain. You'll learn so much about how you and the car operate when all of your mistakes are amplified.

I've been out sometimes where we get to keep the windows up and use blinkers, and other times where it was dumping and all windows down. The thing is, at speed the water doesn't really enter the cabin. It's mainly when you pass, get passed or are waiting to go out. I use blue painters tape on the door switches to keep water out but other than that, a quick wipe down with the towel and you're good.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Do all the wet driving you can! It's an ideal chance to experiment (at a lower speed) with different lines, grip, and your car's dynamics. With PCA, you'll have your window(s) down, but don't worry about the interior -- it's treated to be waterproof.
+1--as fewer cars go out you'll have much more track to yourself, and when it dries you'll be faster....but for your first DE don't worry about fast. Just listen to your instructor, and don't eat too much so the unthinkable doesn't happen into your closed-face helmet during your instructor rides

Gary
Old 02-15-2017, 09:53 AM
somdcroc
Intermediate

Probably going to OG Racing in Sterling VA next week to check them out in person.

My wife measured my head today and it appears I am on the cusp of a size medium/large. (circumference of 22 1/8" to 22 1/4". Not sure my wife can read a tape measure.

I noticed there are open faced and full faced helmets available. Any pros/cons between the styles? Which style is preferable?

Thanks

Al
Al, good decision to go to OG racing as they are supporters of PCA. Trying one on is best as sizes can be different depending on brand. PCA FSR does not allow M type helmets--only SA 2015 or SA 2010 and OG racing has a nice variety to choose from. I would suggest closed face are better (for safety) but also because you will be wearing a headset/mic your instructor will use to communicate with you and they fit better with a closed face helmet and the sound will be better.

Yes--PCA First Settlers Region (like all PCA Regions) requires a pre-event Tech Inspection by a professional mechanic or club certified inspector within 30 days prior to the event (using our specific inspection sheet). Some Porsche dealers will provide Tech Inspections for free to PCA members. Your car will also be inspected daily during the event at the track. You are ultimately responsible for checking your car during the event though. Have your instructor step you through a routine of checking your car after every session so you will know what to look for.
Its best to have some basic tools but if you don't have them you can always borrow but its best to have a torque wrench with a socket to fit your lug bolts, a nice air gage to check tire pressures, and a good flashlight to check brake pad wear. Again--we have a friendly group in the paddock during our events so if you need anything--please ask your paddock neighbors or the staff.

BTW--if you want a peak at the facility and maybe some low speed touring laps around the track come on out for the Cars and Caffeine event being hosted at Dominion Raceway on Saturday morning March 4th. Its NOT a PCA event but there will be PCA FSR members and instructors attending.

Scott
de@fsrpca.org
Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see some clubs like PCA Chicago offer "Tech Sessions" periodically, usually at a shop. Are those used to tech inspect cars for HPDE, or does "tech session" mean something different?

I did ask someone in the PCA if a formal dealer/shop mechanical eval is needed 30 days prior to each hpde... I was asked what year my car is and what type (1987 930). Also asked if I do my own maintenance. Was told it shouldn't be an issue... with newer or water cooled cars, its more important...

No biggie to have a mechanic look at it, but I really wonder how many drivers do this...

I was under the impression that a full tech inspection occurs on site, by the tech team, each and every day on site... (at least with the Chicago PCA, they do the entire check list that's required on all cars)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Just go for it, no insurance for your first day out. I actually put the last of my 997's break in miles on her on the way to my first DE at Watkins Glen! Also note that DE Insurance is per EVENT, not day, so a 3 day event dramatically reduces the "per Day" insurance cost...

Quick Reply: New to Porsche and signed up for HPDE