Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open wheeled cars - good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts

Many of these cars have relatively cheap parts. FM parts are pretty reasonable. I even replaced the sealed engine for about 7k. If you don't want a sealed motor it would be about half that cost. I love rotary engines which is part of why I am on this platform. The FM is fantastic but if you want to go racing, it has very little participation in the NE. I believe in more Southern and Western regions it is still strong.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:20 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

As for safety compared to a production car. Open wheel also has some serious benefits. The drivers compartment can be setup to be safer than production because of the tight confines.
I know you're a racer, but that statement leads me to believe you've (hopefully) never had a heavy accident in a formula car. While speed does indeed dissipate more rapidly with a formula car spin, which is an advantage in a flat spin, there is simply no doubt they provide significantly less protection than an enclosed/caged car.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

I've been on fire in these cars, and been glad to get out relatively easily...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
I know you're a racer, but that statement leads me to believe you've (hopefully) never had a heavy accident in a formula car. While speed does indeed dissipate more rapidly with a formula car spin, which is an advantage in a flat spin, there is simply no doubt they provide significantly less protection than an enclosed/caged car.
There are different things you worry about. They offer different protections and in many cases are safer for certain issues. And newer formula cars are a LOT better than the older formula cars.

I've been around a lot of destroyed cars both formula and tin top. While the head is out in the air (moreso in older cars like the DB1 and Reynard in your signature), newer ones have much better setups. Head surrounds, etc. The lack of seat belt length, a poured bead seat supported by the frame and pan, etc. are all things that are better in a formula car.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:39 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Drove a "Formula Skip" car during a Skip Barber class at Lime Rock. Cold fall day and it was raining.

That being said, it was probably one of my most memorable experiences on track. The feeling of being outside, and to see the open wheels, is unmatched in my opinion.

However, we are doing a long term medical study on Coochas and so far the evidence has shown that long term exposure to open cockpit race cars has a negative affect on the mind. To put it politely, he is a little "touched in the head" at this point. Beware of open cockpit syndrome!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:45 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Drove a "Formula Skip" car during a Skip Barber class at Lime Rock. Cold fall day and it was raining.

That being said, it was probably one of my most memorable experiences on track. The feeling of being outside, and to see the open wheels, is unmatched in my opinion.

However, we are doing a long term medical study on Coochas and so far the evidence has shown that long term exposure to open cockpit race cars has a negative affect on the mind. To put it politely, he is a little "touched in the head" at this point. Beware of open cockpit syndrome!
The nicest part is I'm far enough along in the open cockpit syndrome that I don't know any better.

Now, Peter Krause has been driving open cockpit three times longer than I have (AT LEAST). Oh wait, yeah he's a little touched too,...but in a really nice way. And this is starting to sound very wrong. I guess I am pretty far along in the syndrome.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahaha! Purpose built cars attract the best kind of "touched" folks...

Coochas Dave, your latest FB posts (weatherman, gummi "shapes") clearly show cabin fever. Time to head out and"plow."
Old 02-13-2017, 07:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hahaha! Purpose built cars attract the best kind of "touched" folks...

Coochas Dave, your latest FB posts (weatherman, gummi "shapes") clearly show cabin fever. Time to head out and"plow."
Oh I've been plowing!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:46 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
My son raced FE for a couple years in the midwest- we had our CSR very active with promoting so we always had a decent grid size. He'd done shifter karts for several years and a few PCA DE's over the years, and then Spec Miata before that so he wasn't exactly a novice, but open wheel is a completely different ball game. He had a blast and did pretty well (getting a podium at the June Sprints) .
I would NOT jump into it with a formula car right from the beginning- as mentioned, do a couple racing schools with formula cars and see what you think...

(BTW, crewing for him was a blast!!! Proud dad...)
I know that FE! A local and friend of mine bought it.

Check the field sizes in your area if you're going to go racing. Pick the class with the best turnout and consistent entries. The formula car choices seem to be quite regional at the moment.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:11 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 885 Likes on 536 Posts

Wise- your friend got a good car! My son hated to sell it after we did that McLaren livery!

Steve at One Formula is great to work with.

As he said look at grid sizes in your area- lot more fun to race someone!
Old 03-31-2018, 11:10 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

sorry to bring up an old topic but it was a great read. I almost bought another SRF but I am going to do a race with Bertil Roos in June at NJMP. I did a skippy school as well. The SRF was a blast. After reading this thread the brain is turning, I love racing but also love driving. May be a DE car and then rent a race car a few times a year with some occasional karting as well!!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:33 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a formula enterprise car and I really like how easy it is to work on. Alignments, ride heights and scaling the car can be tedious and take a long time but most other things are very easy. Because it’s an Automotive based engine, the rebuilds are 3-7+ years. The old gearbox was a maintenance headache for some/most but the new Sadev seems to be a huge improvement.

I know some people prefer FC because you have more setup options, but for me - I prefer the FE because there are fewer setup options.

If you don’t mind wrenching on your car some, FE can be maintained by the driver.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by schaibaa
I have a formula enterprise car and I really like how easy it is to work on. Alignments, ride heights and scaling the car can be tedious and take a long time but most other things are very easy. Because it’s an Automotive based engine, the rebuilds are 3-7+ years. The old gearbox was a maintenance headache for some/most but the new Sadev seems to be a huge improvement.

I know some people prefer FC because you have more setup options, but for me - I prefer the FE because there are fewer setup options.

If you don’t mind wrenching on your car some, FE can be maintained by the driver.
Agreed!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:09 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa

FE is a great car, I'm curious to see what happens with the crazy upgrade that is coming out.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:11 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
FE is a great car, I'm curious to see what happens with the crazy upgrade that is coming out.
In what regard? The motor has a bit more power and the gearbox is much more reliable. Only downside is the cost. Paddle shift is coming too - supposedly next year.

Quick Reply: Open wheeled cars - good deal?