New to Cayman S, need to get ready for track

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017 | 09:00 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In addition to the Pagid Race Pads we also have the Pagid Sport Pads for your application...at pretty attractive pricing:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Pagi.../2405sport.htm

http://www.paragon-products.com/Pagi.../2406sport.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 02-02-2017 | 04:20 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

See below

Last edited by jsabatini; 02-02-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Double post, added pic
Old 02-02-2017 | 06:18 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Just curious, regarding the larger sump, looks like a straight forward swap, drain oil, remove old sump, install new larger sump?

Old 02-02-2017 | 10:57 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Congrats . Please let us know if you need any assistance . We are very familiar with the 987 chassis and currently run two entries in the Continental tire series challenge . We are local and would be a pleasure helping .
Old 02-02-2017 | 11:33 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsabatini
Just curious, regarding the larger sump, looks like a straight forward swap, drain oil, remove old sump, install new larger sump?

Seems like you could do this with some help in like a day?

I also looked at this gen Cayman, but decided against it. Frankly, I don't have time for track days these days, and that gen Cayman was a tight fit for me at 6'2" (and slightly more round these days). I keep kicking around the idea of buying a 2015-2016 off lease S, but am having trouble justifying that as a daily/track car (in addition to my unfinished 951 project).

Maybe I can steal the 930 at home some time and can do a track day with you guys again for old times sake! You taking this thing to 48 hours?
Old 02-03-2017 | 02:10 AM
zadar
Instructor

Yes, it is easy.
Old 02-03-2017 | 08:54 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Seems like you could do this with some help in like a day?

I also looked at this gen Cayman, but decided against it. Frankly, I don't have time for track days these days, and that gen Cayman was a tight fit for me at 6'2" (and slightly more round these days). I keep kicking around the idea of buying a 2015-2016 off lease S, but am having trouble justifying that as a daily/track car (in addition to my unfinished 951 project).

Maybe I can steal the 930 at home some time and can do a track day with you guys again for old times sake! You taking this thing to 48 hours?
I'm 6'2" and coming down from way to close to 250, shooting for 225 and I fit OK. Only problem is getting in it after the wife has driven it, she pulls the seat bottom up and reclines the crap out of the seat back. In that position the seat can't go back until you bring the seat back up to normal, then seat goes back and all is well.

Heading down to 48 hours in the AM, taking the family of 4 so 2 in the Cayman and 2 in the Cooper, to watch.
Old 02-04-2017 | 02:55 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

I'm 6'2" and coming down from way to close to 250, shooting for 225 and I fit OK. Only problem is getting in it after the wife has driven it, she pulls the seat bottom up and reclines the crap out of the seat back. In that position the seat can't go back until you bring the seat back up to normal, then seat goes back and all is well.

Heading down to 48 hours in the AM, taking the family of 4 so 2 in the Cayman and 2 in the Cooper, to watch.
I am around that number too. No way that is changing any time soon with my schedule and my trial in March.

The last DE I did was 2007 48 hours in the 930. That was stupid young-ness, no real belts, no cage. I was the only one out there as a solo without those. I think you might remember that; I think you were taking photos, and the first time you met my dad. I did pretty well; got lots of great three wheel photos... To be young again.

Enjoy your time and that new sweet ride brother.
Old 02-04-2017 | 12:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhm993
gt3 master cylinder.
I found my 987 to be undriveable at the track until I 'firmed up" the brake pedal.
Same experience with my 09 Cayman S. Pedal turned to mush, and that was running fresh SRF. GT3 MC and no more brake issues. I would go with Pagid pads, but go with what your shop tells you..

I would also consider the IMS upgrade, as the original part (as I understand it) has nothing to do with "oiling" and more to do with a sealed component losing it's lubricant and being flushed out by hot oil. No warning, and the engine is trash if it goes. The replacements don't have this issue, but even they seem to have limited life. Add to that the new AOS (the Motorsport AOS does not just bolt on, so ask your shop what a new MS AOS costs installed vs. new OEM. My shop put a new OEM unit on my SPB (and all he builds I believe) and I have had 0 issues. My C2S is a PDK so there were no cooling issues, I defer to others as to what is recommended. I did put GT3 Cup LCA's all around to allow me a more aggressive alignment, but that can wait...
Old 02-05-2017 | 11:18 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Thanks again for all the replies, first thing I am doing is the sump upgrade, but will be referring to this thread in the future.

Going from the '87 911 to this 11 year old "low" hp Cayman S has been a real treat in the first week. Went down to the 48 hours of Sebring yesterday and had a blast. Real testament to the Cayman seeing how many were racing.

We also picked up a '06 Mini Cooper S last Friday when we picked up the Cayman, see the "Post your latest Purchase" thread in OT for more details. The Mini is a flippin blast to drive around town, a go cart on steroids. The Mini is for our daughter who is getting her license next week, still need to teach her to drive stick, so I drove her in the Mini and wife Terri followed in the Cayman with son Cooper. I was going to let them drive back in the Cayman but my daughter asked if we could take the Cayman home, thank you Cameron. Long straight on US 17 into Lake Wales, no bogeys on Waze or the Valentine, dropped from 6th to 5th, and slightly exceeded the speed limit in no time, Mini kept up too.

Pic of Coop 5 years ago at the 48 Hours

Pic of Coop yesterday

Old 02-06-2017 | 02:25 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Looks like you all had fun! I remember that 87 911 - it was dark green, right? Always liked that color in the 911.

Glad you area able to share this with your son - my dad did the same with me nearly 30 years ago (srsly?) My parents haven't been to the 48 hours in some time, probably at least 5 years or so...

I have done the gear drop on 17 more than a few times. I remember one time I had taken the 930 instead of my 951 for a Chin DE, joined by my grade school friend in his 993. Decided to horse around and pass him and a truck with a bunch of guys in the back; I am pretty sure a few of their hats flew off....sort of feel bad about it now..."slightly exceeding the speed limit" as it were...

Quick Reply: New to Cayman S, need to get ready for track