Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Number Craziness

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017 | 07:38 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Default Car Number Craziness

Can someone please explain why PCA insists on having EXCLUSIVE car numbers assigned to a race weekend?

The 48 Hours at Sebring Club Race, for instance, has 232 cars. No two numbers can be alike. Yet there are FOUR separate Race Groups. None of the cars in any race group will cross over. Timing and scoring is done electronically. Why can't you have FOUR #2 cars? One in each race group.

SCCA is the same way. They even make you pay a fee to reserve your number exclusively for the season. I HATE having to add crappy extra numbers to the side of my car. They fall off. I get black-flagged. It just seems like a silly rule not based in reality. Can anyone explain? Please?
(PS..."That's the way we've always done it," is not a legitimate answer.)

Old 01-05-2017 | 07:43 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Scca doesn't do that. They let each group have access to all numbers. No overlap in same group but lots throughout day.

Scca does let let people pay a fee so they don't have to worry about someone taking the number.
Old 01-05-2017 | 08:22 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Consider changing to a number no one else wants, avoid the hassle
Old 01-05-2017 | 08:43 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

It's more about helping the officials identify cars during the race, not timing. I.E. black flag for doing something untoward.
Old 01-05-2017 | 09:26 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Enduros have cross over. I've changed numbers so many times. There are no numbers no one wants. Lol.
Old 01-05-2017 | 09:50 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Race groups aren't usually determined until days before the race.
Old 01-05-2017 | 09:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent point but it is actually just a matter of resources. The answer is that it makes it easier for the PCA skeleton crew to distinguish cars during the race weekend. You think that timing is ALWAYS done electronically? This is correct until something happens, the timing loop goes down and timing is done by spotters and by hand. Also, some cars get re-classed and put in a different run group, either by themselves or because they have been found not conforming to the rules. People usually don't get black flagged for a number falling off, there is usually just a friendly reminder at the end of the session.

The secret trick is to register early (like within the first 10 seconds of registration opening up). You will be able to pretty much select any car number you want.
Old 01-05-2017 | 11:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amso3
Consider changing to a number no one else wants, avoid the hassle
This. Pick a number that was unused last season at the races you plan to attend next season.
Old 01-06-2017 | 12:32 AM
Quinlan
Racer

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Excellent point but it is actually just a matter of resources. The answer is that it makes it easier for the PCA skeleton crew to distinguish cars during the race weekend. You think that timing is ALWAYS done electronically? This is correct until something happens, the timing loop goes down and timing is done by spotters and by hand. Also, some cars get re-classed and put in a different run group, either by themselves or because they have been found not conforming to the rules. People usually don't get black flagged for a number falling off, there is usually just a friendly reminder at the end of the session.

The secret trick is to register early (like within the first 10 seconds of registration opening up). You will be able to pretty much select any car number you want.

This. As long as you pay at the time. Until you pay on Clubregistration.net your number won't be reserved.
Old 01-06-2017 | 02:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

stay away from my number please
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2017 | 10:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Hah! There's NO such thing as the "off season." Green flag, baby!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-06-2017 | 10:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
stay away from my number please
I think for some boomers, yours is their favorite number. Hehe...
Old 01-09-2017 | 06:02 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Just be happy that your PCA region doesn't do what mine does, which is allow people to reserve their number until the end of time.

I literally had to submit a group of 4 different numbers three different times before I found one that wasn't already reserved. I have to point out that many of the reserved numbers haven't been used in years, sometimes decades but the lists aren't purged, nor are there any time limits for number reservation expiration...

I was also told I couldn't use "000" because zero isn't a number!
Old 01-09-2017 | 07:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I'm not saying I would risk a 13 if someone were to take my number, because that would be wrong, but I can't promise that some reptilian subconscience part of my brain might run you off the track.

But I would never do that. Intentionally, at least.
Old 01-09-2017 | 07:56 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Just have a number like
​​​​​​31415926535 and you can always add on

Quick Reply: Car Number Craziness