Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche coming to iRacing in 2017!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:18 PM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

991 gt3 cup is a rad car! There's a setup thread in the iracing forums. Changing the setup really helps the car.

Moving the brake bias around makes the car stop so much better.

If I have to learn a track fast. If there's a race I want to jump in at a track that I haven't driven yet, then I just turn on the cheater line. It's usually not the fastest way around, but it'll give you an approximation of where to start with your braking markers.

Just don't rely on it. I go a little faster when it's off, after I've learned the track.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:59 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
I found it nauseating immediately in iRacing. The refresh rate of the rift is limited to 60hz. I have super sensitive eyes and to me the image was flickering. It also gives you a bit of tunnel vision. Of the four of us playing, I got sick feeling pretty quickly. ...
Sorry to hear you had trouble with it. I had to do short and progressively longer stints for the first week to acclimate (one run a day for three or four days), and I understand a lot of folks have that same experience. The first time half an hour was enough and an hour would have made me quite sick. Now it's not much of an issue and I'm a guy who's lucky to play a two hour session once a week so I haven't spent tens of hours getting used to it. Also some road tracks are really hard on the gut and others are pretty easy. And if you spin, close your eyes.

FWIW the consumer oculus rift works at 90 Hz and has some interpretive software to interpolate 45 Hz up if your hardware won't sustain a steady 90. It requires pretty decent hardware to run at 90 Hz despite the low effective resolution.

To me the better realism is well worth the compromises, and like you I am faster due to the advantages of the VR visualization. If I never were able to get over the motion sickness though I'd unload it and get three monitors instead.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,672 Posts

I find three monitors not well set up (and with visible walls and shapes behind them) have been just as queasy inducing as Rift, for the untrained... I've never had an issue myself, with any of it, but 30-35% of the folks I work with in the sim have...

The MOMENT people get woozy (and it can happen in 30 seconds to a minute starting off), I shut the triple screen or Rift down and put them on a single screen. Usually, that works. Just my experience.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I find three monitors not well set up (and with visible walls and shapes behind them) have been just as queasy inducing as Rift, for the untrained... I've never had an issue myself, with any of it, but 30-35% of the folks I work with in the sim have...

The MOMENT people get woozy (and it can happen in 30 seconds to a minute starting off), I shut the triple screen or Rift down and put them on a single screen. Usually, that works. Just my experience.
I like a good 4k single screen setup with trackir... I have found it is the closest I get to turning my head and eyes as I would in a real car... A really good 4k screen is extremely immersive and almost looks 3d. Track IR for the head movement is key to really being able to look up and find your points opposed to fixed view of the nose of the car...

On another note, is anyone using the VRS in IRacing? Played around with it yesterday for the first time. Pretty interesting and definitely helping me at Sebring right now.

The other thing that has helped me with the Cup is just putting it in Auto shift mode... I found my shift points are VERY different to when I leave it to the computer and quite frankly their method is far more stable LOL!
Old 01-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

I just spoke with the guys at Motorsport Experience in Maynard, MA. They're up and running with the new Cup and also have Oculus Rift VR goggles, although they're currently being exchanged on warranty due to issues.

If you're in the area and haven't checked it out it's worth a visit. Probably one of the better sim facilities in NE. I'm looking into setting up a group visit. PM if you're interested and I'll keep you in the loop.

http://www.motorsportexp.com/simulation/
Old 01-30-2017, 06:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nizer
I just spoke with the guys at Motorsport Experience in Maynard, MA. They're up and running with the new Cup and also have Oculus Rift VR goggles, although they're currently being exchanged on warranty due to issues.

If you're in the area and haven't checked it out it's worth a visit. Probably one of the better sim facilities in NE. I'm looking into setting up a group visit. PM if you're interested and I'll keep you in the loop.

http://www.motorsportexp.com/simulation/
Is this where Ross came and did a seminar?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Yes. I found the seminar very useful and Ross is always great.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

This is also my experience. I have probably had 30-40 people in my Sim (and now it's at my shop and available for rent, it's getting more all the time). I find those that get motion sickness get it pretty quick. It took my brother all of 10 seconds rolling down pit lane at a track for it to happen to him! Anytime it happens, I just cover the side screens up and it's a big improvement for them. I have also found that those who continue to come back and try again, they seem to be able to get past the sick feeling, although it can take a couple of attempts.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:17 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Is there a particular angle or setting that you've found works best for the side screens?
Old 01-31-2017, 09:48 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Slacker,
Iracing has an FOV adjusting tool in the racing software under options>graphics.
A minimum of 30 degrees to from the center screen to side is needed. Bigger screens with higher angle can give more immersion. IRACING will calculate FOV depending on your input of screen width and viewing distance etc.

Its a pretty good tool. Gamers recommend using that versus graphics card software. I dont know what set up you have, but to practice some proper skills you need a direct drive steering setup (OSW, Accuforce, Leo Bodnar etc), a good pedal set that you can modulate brakes without lockup, and a sturdy rig. Motion rigs are not worth it IMO. At least the ones selling for <30k. I haven't tried to high-end ones.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:37 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

My screens are at 45 degree's purely because I built my chassis myself out of 2x4's and it was just easier to stick to 45. Iracing setting's allow to set it up for that angle and all looks good so it stayed that way.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I've had limited success with both (GPU software or iRacing's wizard).

Wraparound can help or hurt, but too far away is generally bad.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:13 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Slacker,
a good pedal set that you can modulate brakes without lockup,
I am struggling with this with the new Cup car... I have the T500RS and I am constantly locking the brakes. If I adjust to the point I don't lock up I feel like I am having to move my braking points way too far back. It's a very fine line.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I am struggling with this with the new Cup car... I have the T500RS and I am constantly locking the brakes. If I adjust to the point I don't lock up I feel like I am having to move my braking points way too far back. It's a very fine line.
Drive in socks. Helps modulation and reduces lockup on lightly spring brake pedals, until you can get greater resistance mods in...
Old 01-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Drive in socks. Helps modulation and reduces lockup on lightly spring brake pedals, until you can get greater resistance mods in...
Definitely cheaper than new pedals so I will give it a shot... Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Porsche coming to iRacing in 2017!