Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche coming to iRacing in 2017!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Anyone using VR goggles with it yet? About to spring for a sim setup and trying to decide whether to go VR or not.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:27 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I love it. Feels much more like my 997 than any of the RUFs.
Running a few seconds behind the Ruf 12RT at the Glen, but I don't really know the Cup car yet.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:20 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Anyone using VR goggles with it yet? About to spring for a sim setup and trying to decide whether to go VR or not.
Yeah I have it and really like it. I would recommend you either do VR or three screens.

Before the Oculus headset I just had one large higher resolution monitor. Monitors offer better sharpness and far field view. With just one monitor your field of view is a problem.

VR gives a very good 3D effect and head tracking. Those are really huge upgrades. They presently only have about 1 megapixel of effective resolution. (3D requires pixel overlap.) I find the immersion is much better with VR as I get a natural and intuitive feel for distances because of the 3D effect and I can look around to an apex and turn my head back to see behind me. Significantly lower resolution (which harms your far field view of the road ahead in the distance) is the big compromise.

With VR motion sickness is common for the first few plays BUT if you use the current default iRacing settings you'll always get sick. The default settings lock horizon movement so head tracking is pretty great except when you tilt your head and the sky doesnt move. It's a bit weird for your brain as it's close but not quite right so it makes you tipsy.

Last edited by ace37; 01-28-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,844 Likes on 1,675 Posts

I'm using a single 144 Hz screen and it's fine. I also have a Rift, but haven't used it with this yet.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-28-2017, 07:51 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm gonna wait for the next gen of panels for Rift/Vive. Looking for higher resolution.
I also suspect there will be increased competition/lower prices based on the expanded number of VR headsets announced at CES.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:52 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

FYI, I caught these screens on sale for $150 at Office Depot and bought 3 of them. They work really well for iRacing.

Samsung CF390 Series Curved 24-Inch FHD Monitor (C24F390) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX26WPY..._L2sJybAJ6BP2Q

I will say that the learning curve for iRacing is larger than I expected though. I'm still struggling to gauge speed and slip without any physical motion or g's.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Thanks guys.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:11 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
FYI, I caught these screens on sale for $150 at Office Depot and bought 3 of them. They work really well for iRacing.

Samsung CF390 Series Curved 24-Inch FHD Monitor (C24F390) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX26WPY..._L2sJybAJ6BP2Q

I will say that the learning curve for iRacing is larger than I expected though. I'm still struggling to gauge speed and slip without any physical motion or g's.

It is best to focus on open wheel cars, skippy, formula renault etc , because you dont have the effects of weight transfer like in sports cars, you can progress faster. Once, you learn to drive with less sensory feedback on the simulator as compared to real life, you will be faster in sports cars as well.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
It is best to focus on open wheel cars, skippy, formula renault etc , because you dont have the effects of weight transfer like in sports cars, you can progress faster. Once, you learn to drive with less sensory feedback on the simulator as compared to real life, you will be faster in sports cars as well.
Got it. I'll give that a shot. Thx!
Old 01-29-2017, 04:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The Pro Mazda is very close in capability, dynamics (and is a little quicker in lap times) to my car. I like the visibility, too.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:31 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are considering VR, definitely see if you can borrow one from a friend before you buy. Had a friend bring over an Occulus yesterday; make sure you have 2 dedicated USB 3 ports and a video card that doesn't pull bandwidth from the HDMI port (the oculus had issues with my 1070 with my desktop monitor plugged into the 2nd HDMI port).

I found it nauseating immediately in iRacing. The refresh rate of the rift is limited to 60hz. I have super sensitive eyes and to me the image was flickering. It also gives you a bit of tunnel vision. Of the four of us playing, I got sick feeling pretty quickly. One got ill after about an hour. The third person drove for 2 hours with zero issues. Fourth person lasted about 20 mins. I made all of the changes to the settings as recommended elsewhere.

Also... I did find it easier to drive faster with the rift than with a monitor/projector. The car's motions were much more obvious.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:05 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

So what is your primary indicator for judging speed into and through the corners? Are you using gear and RPM or just looking at the speedometer?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:56 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Depending on the car, gauges are hard to see. Start with the same brake points as you drive your car (at a track you know), and then adjust it based on the car.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slakker
So what is your primary indicator for judging speed into and through the corners? Are you using gear and RPM or just looking at the speedometer?
Through the corners is MUCH easier than gauging speed INTO the corners.

You know what understeer feels like, right? Well, iRacing will do the same thing. You'll add more steering input and the radius either continues wide or the car won't come down to the apex.

As someone who has worked with hundreds of people, real-time, sitting next to them while they are on the sim, you HAVE to start JUST like you do in real life. Going so slow that the car WILL follow your directions. Then, add speed gradually.

It's particularly bad (the lack of sensation of speed) when objects are far from the track or your FOV is too narrow. Then, you can't make the calculations easily in your head how much too fast you're going, until it's too late. It's called the "picket fence effect," and it allows our head to calculate speed from how fast things close to us are whizzing by.

So do what Steve says. Start with the first brake marker and press hard on the brake pedal (don't slam it, squeeze it) steadily and slow at a linear rate. Then, always slow at that same rate, just move the initiation closer incrementally to the corner.

It takes practice. Lots and lots of practice!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Porsche coming to iRacing in 2017!