Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A training plan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016 | 01:26 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

On your original idea of a training plan, a subtle change in nomenclature might spur additional ideas.

Instead of a sports approach you might try business - define key metrics such as time reduction for sectors and overall. Define secondary and softer targets and give them all a numerical score. Now give every metric a weight and you can look at the numbers to see what to direct your attention towards next and when to move on.

It it would be pretty subjective and take some work to put together, but it does meet the request for an analytically driven way to direct and therefore structure your learning and progress.
Old 12-14-2016 | 01:47 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Driving on less capable tires is a different kind of hard. Once you figure out the limits, it is easier.
It may be easier in some ways (limits are lower, less Gs, less abrupt loss of traction) but harder in others (more throttle management, more partial throttle areas, need to brake for corners where lift is enough on more capable tires etc.)

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing and it was just an aside to my main point, which was that slicks are not necessary for most of the learning.
Old 12-14-2016 | 02:53 AM
Masonbrick
Rennlist Member

Max, you coming to Thunderhill this wknd?
Old 12-14-2016 | 03:54 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It may be easier in some ways (limits are lower, less Gs, less abrupt loss of traction) but harder in others (more throttle management, more partial throttle areas, need to brake for corners where lift is enough on more capable tires etc.)

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing and it was just an aside to my main point, which was that slicks are not necessary for most of the learning.
Oh, I see our disconnect. The list above that you equate with being harder is really having more work to do. The list above that you equate with being easier has to do with requiring less skill.

Nothing you mention as being harder requires more skill. Higher limits, more Gs, more abrupt loss of traction require more skill. It is important to not confuse the the two.
Old 12-14-2016 | 07:59 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

If a coach ever tells me that slicks are the most important thing I need to progress further, I'll be very happy because it means I mastered almost everything there is to driving .
That's a great attitude. You've gotten what you need to get out of this thread, the rest is just internet banter.

As for the Gt3, my point was that it is an easy car to drive fast. It sounds like you are very good at driving it fast and just want to get better, which is awesome. But you didn't shell out the big bucks because it's a 3200lbs car with 475hp. Go back and read your brochure about all of the technology it has to make it go around a track faster. It's an amazing machine. But all of that technology is working harder so that you don't have to. The transmission, the suspension, hell even the differential is constantly making adjustments to your inputs and the conditions. For me, the less the car does, the more connected I feel to the track and to the experience. YMMV
Old 12-14-2016 | 12:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Oh, I see our disconnect. The list above that you equate with being harder is really having more work to do.
Correct. By harder, I meant more things to do so more chances to **** it up. Not different skills, just more work. My wording was somewhat ambiguous.
Old 12-14-2016 | 12:44 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Masonbrick
Max, you coming to Thunderhill this wknd?
Sadly, no. Need to spend some time with the family at my other home in Canada.

Quick Reply: A training plan?