Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hans questions... differences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 10:50 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hans questions... differences?

Guys, getting ready to buy a HANS for HPDE...

Seat is a Cobra Suzuka from 10 years or so ago, in a 930. Not many places to sample/buy different hans units, so will most likely need to buy off the internet without actually trying one...

Any input appreciated:

1) I see Hans units from $400 to $1500. Is the difference in price solely regarding the comfort of the unit? I assume the cheapest unit has to pass the same FIA testing as the most expensive. As a HPDE, the expensive units are way out of budget...

2) Most of the units are fixed at 20 degrees. If your seat is reclined (within reason using the seat side mounts), will they fit? It says 20 degrees is for "upright seating."

3) Any issues with fitment using the older Suzuka seats? These came out as HANS units were just being developed. The newer seats say "HANS ready." Not sure what HANS ready" means... The older seats obviously don't have any specific cutouts to accommodate a hans...

4) Should I get the HANS quick release? Any point? Dont see anyone at HPDE with that feature...

5) The schroth FHR and lower end HANS units are the same price. Any differences in comfort?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Are you using a six-point harness and roll bar (or cage)?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:55 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
Guys, getting ready to buy a HANS for HPDE...

Seat is a Cobra Suzuka from 10 years or so ago, in a 930. Not many places to sample/buy different hans units, so will most likely need to buy off the internet without actually trying one...

Any input appreciated:

1) I see Hans units from $400 to $1500. Is the difference in price solely regarding the comfort of the unit? I assume the cheapest unit has to pass the same FIA testing as the most expensive. As a HPDE, the expensive units are way out of budget...

2) Most of the units are fixed at 20 degrees. If your seat is reclined (within reason using the seat side mounts), will they fit? It says 20 degrees is for "upright seating."

3) Any issues with fitment using the older Suzuka seats? These came out as HANS units were just being developed. The newer seats say "HANS ready." Not sure what HANS ready" means... The older seats obviously don't have any specific cutouts to accommodate a hans...

4) Should I get the HANS quick release? Any point? Dont see anyone at HPDE with that feature...

5) The schroth FHR and lower end HANS units are the same price. Any differences in comfort?

Thanks
For #4 I prefer the static release. Even F1 drivers use that.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:08 PM
bpu699

Its a roll bar with a 5 point Schroth... Don't know if the older seats accommodate a 6 point....
Old 12-09-2016, 12:11 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Cheap HANS are really heavy, it's noticeable. From a safety standpoint, not much difference just get the right size and angle for your use. I have an older CF Pro version, really like it. I use the standard post anchors.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:16 PM
bpu699

With the older seats, is fitment an issue? Are some of the newer competitors like schroth better?

Sitting in the seat with a helmet it already feels a tad like my head is being pushed forward.

With the hans, doesn't that push your noggin forward another inch?
Old 12-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Its a roll bar with a 5 point Schroth... Don't know if the older seats accommodate a 6 point....
It should, the only difference is that the sub is split into two belts and they are anchored differently. The pass through is the same.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

I've tried carbon and composite Hans Devices and once strapped in the car, I can tell no difference in weight or comfort. The key is the angle, fit, and proper belts. 20 degrees is what I have and that works fine at all seat angles I have seen in a 911.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:38 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Hans

I'd suggest the Schroth SHR Flex or Necksgen

Both are not angle specific and adjust to various seating positions. The Hans angle is determined by the angle of your chest sitting in the seat. You can have an upright seat but if the driver is over 200 lbs or is barrel chested, they would need a model 30 Hans.

If you go with Hans, get the cheaper one. Price difference is weight.

Feel free to call us with questions
Old 12-10-2016, 07:40 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

PS. Schroth SHR Flex and necksgen sit lower behind your head than Hans so if your seat is hitting the helmet now, HANS will probably interfere with the seat.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
PS. Schroth SHR Flex and necksgen sit lower behind your head than Hans so if your seat is hitting the helmet now, HANS will probably interfere with the seat.
I've found this to be important.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:50 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Cheap HANS are really heavy, it's noticeable. From a safety standpoint, not much difference just get the right size and angle for your use. I have an older CF Pro version, really like it. I use the standard post anchors.
Originally Posted by winders
I've tried carbon and composite Hans Devices and once strapped in the car, I can tell no difference in weight or comfort. The key is the angle, fit, and proper belts. 20 degrees is what I have and that works fine at all seat angles I have seen in a 911.
I agree with Winders. Once strapped in I find fitment is the only thing that matters.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:34 AM
bpu699

Well, I have it down to a schroth SHR flex and the hans adjustable model... I also see that some places are now discounting the necksgen rev for $499...

I know the hans can be used with an open face helmet. Avoiding discussions on whether or not an open face helmet is wise, can the Schroth be used with an open face? I have both types of helmets, and sometimes the open face is just more comfortable.

The schroth, does it come with mounting hardware to install on a helmet that ISNT PREDRILLED for hans mounts?

The hans I thought did, with instructions on how to drill your helmet?

The necks gen, s far as I know, cant be used with an open face helmet? True or false?

Thanks all!

Bo
Old 12-21-2016, 10:46 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Schroth also includes the helmet hardware kit and includes the nutwashers for under the shell between the liner and shell (all SA15 helmets have the nutwasher installed already). If you have an older helmet, it may need to be drilled depending on the model. Here's the link to the instruction manual

https://www.schrothracing.com/docs/SHR_Flex_Manual.pdf

they only show installing the anchors on helmets that are pre-drilled. Here's the link on the Hans site that you can use for just about any device out there where the holes should be located.

http://hansdevice.com/Tech_files/HAN...AUG%202014.pdf

We will install the anchors at no charge if when you purchase the unit from us. You just have to ship your helmet to us for installation.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 12-21-2016, 10:48 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well, I have it down to a schroth SHR flex and the hans adjustable model... I also see that some places are now discounting the necksgen rev for $499...

I know the hans can be used with an open face helmet. Avoiding discussions on whether or not an open face helmet is wise, can the Schroth be used with an open face? I have both types of helmets, and sometimes the open face is just more comfortable.

The schroth, does it come with mounting hardware to install on a helmet that ISNT PREDRILLED for hans mounts?

The hans I thought did, with instructions on how to drill your helmet?

The necks gen, s far as I know, cant be used with an open face helmet? True or false?

Thanks all!

Bo

PS: You can use open face helmets with the devices

FROM HANS SITE:
Do I need a special helmet?

No.

HANS helmet anchors fit any competition approved racing helmet.

Because the HANS Device is the only head & neck restraint that directs the loads thru the forehead area, you can use an open face helmet with the HANS Device too.

Quick Reply: Hans questions... differences?