Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lap_Integ

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016 | 03:47 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Default Lap_Integ

I created a coasting math channel using Roger's formulas as well as his CST LapT math channel. The latter uses the function Lap_integ which I'm not familiar with. Am I correct that this produces the number of seconds that the car coasted in a given lap?

Thanks,

Rich
Old 11-25-2016 | 04:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Lap_Integ function gives the lap time in seconds, which can then be used in a number of other math channels.

What is the math channel you got from Roger? That would be what gives you the number of seconds (or percent of a lap) that you coasted. I would have to see the formula to know what you are getting.
Old 11-25-2016 | 06:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Matt, ping Roger. He'll send you the .amc file. I'll see if it's on my Dropbox and send it to you.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-25-2016 | 06:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sent links for Rogers 2014 and 2015 math channels to you.
Old 11-25-2016 | 07:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have them somewhere, but was running out the door to the movies with the kids. I'll take a look at see what they have in them.
Old 11-25-2016 | 10:12 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RichFL
I created a coasting math channel using Roger's formulas as well as his CST LapT math channel. The latter uses the function Lap_integ which I'm not familiar with. Am I correct that this produces the number of seconds that the car coasted in a given lap?

Thanks,

Rich
Roger's CST LapT channel does give you the number of seconds coasted per lap. The CST LapP may be a better way to compare because it allows for some lap time difference (if you're lap times are consistent).

The method Roger uses to do those channels is VERY powerful. You can then use similar logic to look at things like throttle position, brake activation, cornering forces, time over a certain G level, and lots of chassis metrics.
Old 11-25-2016 | 10:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The order of the math channels is important.
Old 11-26-2016 | 11:45 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys and hope you both had a great Thanksgiving. I'm not familiar with CST LapP.
Old 11-26-2016 | 12:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

This kind of synthetic amalgam or leveraged math formula made from basic measures is the next step in making your data useful and productive.

I'll be hosting three webinars between now and the Sebring 12 Hour to help show people how to construct these measures and what to do with them. Send me your email if you'd like to get the announcement. The sky is the limit.

Make plans to attend Roger Caddell's AiM Sports when Jerry hosts one in FL or elsewhere. I'll post a schedule when Roger firms his schedule up for 2017.
Old 11-26-2016 | 05:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RichFL
Thanks guys and hope you both had a great Thanksgiving. I'm not familiar with CST LapP.
CST LapP (coasting lap time percentage) is in the Excel sheet that Roger has put out. I'm short on time right now, but I'll post the whole spread sheet later tonight.

How to do math channels doesn't have to be secret. I'm happy to help people out with how they work and will post some resources tonight.
Old 11-26-2016 | 07:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Even after ten years of DL-1, Stack and Pi Toolbox, math channels only became helpful and understandable to me after attending Jorge Segers seminar in 2008 in Orlando. Following up with the excellent series online by John Block of Auto-Ware reinforced the fact that one could leverage raw measures into real, objective measures of what had been, up to that time, SUBJECTIVE measures. Thinks like "coasting," "lifting," "throttle aggression," "brake aggression," "brake release smoothness," et cetera.

The math channel referenced here is a simple, inexact on it's own, but useful in comparison with other laps to chart improvement (or not) of a particular vehicle state that is under the control of the driver. Roger Caddell supplies and explains what they are and what they quantify. He shares with every AiM "LearnFast" class he does and are another great way to take even the most simple, basic measures obtained by an AiM Solo and turn them into real numbers.

I know that, like IR temps, linear suspension potentiometers and other advanced measures, the driver that is doing their own analysis and interested in math channels needs a good foundation and understanding to leverage these for even the most basic, useful return.

There are lots of resources out there, but like everything else, it's not particularly useful without context and balance. Lastly, you need to know what you're looking to quantify before diving headlong into yet another workflow in an already crowded weekend.

Right, Matt?
Old 11-26-2016 | 11:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are the math channels that Roger distributes for systems with external sensors, his notes on them, and the AiM math channel info. PLEASE READ ALL OF IT! Reading all of it before starting will really help you out. Another thing to remember is that the software is very literal, so the channel names and functions have to be written exactly the same.

If people are interested, I can post up the channels Roger has put together for people with GPS only systems (Solo, Solo DL, or another system with limited analog channels).

As to how to approach math channels, you have to think about what you want and then make the math work towards it. it's not always straight math, sometimes it's more logic and knowing what the functions do.

If people have problems with this, please feel free to email me at matt@trailbrake.net and I'll help you out. There is great power in using the math channels to help you show specific details, add things together, etc.

I'll get some more posted up on math channels in the next week or so.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Math_Channels_101_eng.pdf (925.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: pdf
Math Channel Info.pdf (12.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 11-26-2016 | 11:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I know that, like IR temps, linear suspension potentiometers and other advanced measures, the driver that is doing their own analysis and interested in math channels needs a good foundation and understanding to leverage these for even the most basic, useful return.

There are lots of resources out there, but like everything else, it's not particularly useful without context and balance. Lastly, you need to know what you're looking to quantify before diving headlong into yet another workflow in an already crowded weekend.

Right, Matt?
I agree you have to know what you are looking for, but it's not complex or adding to the workflow. Being able to have the channels added at import and displayed in saved profiles only creates some extra time in setting the software up, but not as much in analysis.

Also, the power the math channels give you is worth a ton. For instance, I had a car that I was working on that we questioned the difference in the left and right lambda sensors. To filter out all the data, I was able to do a high pass filter on the lambdas to report when the car was over 4,500 RPM, then use an IF statement to look at only when the throttle position was over 80%. Finally, I was able to take the difference of the two lambda sensors to see if they were really having a problem or not. All that took about 3 minutes and answered the question.
Old 11-26-2016 | 11:20 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

If people are interested, I can post up the channels Roger has put together for people with GPS only systems (Solo, Solo DL, or another system with limited analog channels).

Please do post them Matt when you have time. Thank you.
Old 11-26-2016 | 11:37 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cloudspin

Please do post them Matt when you have time. Thank you.
Here you go!
Attached Images

Quick Reply: Lap_Integ