Sponsored by:

Stilo Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:25 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 914 Likes on 447 Posts
Default Stilo Helmets

Okay, I want to buy a new helmet with integrated ear muffs and microphone. I am looking at the Stilo ST5 GT Composite and the Stilo ST5 GT Carbon helmets.

What is the weight difference between the two and will I notice it? $1000 is not a small difference and the weight difference would need to be compelling. I have no issues with the weight of my Bell M4.

If the ear muffs work well, I don't see a need to have the option to use ear buds.

I don't need or want the water or air options.

Thoughts?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:46 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

I run the Composite and compared it to the Carbon before I bought it and felt that the weight difference was not worth the price difference. My Composite with the water option weighs 4.2 lbs. I don't remember the weight difference.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:58 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Look for Apex Performance and Wine Country Motorsports black Friday specials. In the past, they have run 20% off sales.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:55 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the CF model with built in ear muffs, drink setup and attachment for helmet blower. It's a great helmet, light, high quality build and all components work great except helmet blower, it's okay and most effective if cycled.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,434 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I have a composite with air and water. I got rid of the water right away as it was annoying.

The air is awesome - can't imagine not having it.

Tried on the carbon fiber and didn't really notice the difference especially strapped into a car. Where it will make a difference is in an accident - less weight pulling your head forward. But with a HANS device would it make a difference? I don't know. I also didn't want to spend the extra $1k.

Ear muffs are awesome. With my Bell I used to have to use earplugs or they would be ringing by the end of the day. Clarity of mike is pretty good but something went wrong and I had to get mine replaced.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:47 PM
winders
Race Car

Thanks for all the feedback!! I think I will stick with the composite model.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:32 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the composite, I too could not justify the carbon cost- Air is worthless- I removed the top mount from the helmet and the blower from the car. Went with the Cool-a-Clava- 1000x better. Ear muffs/speakers are great- ALOT quieter than my Arai- Both fit great. Don't forget you can get different cheekpads for a better fit.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:44 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I too have the composite. Love the built in electronics. Needed a fair amount of fitting help at HMS to get the cheek pads right.
The rubber trim piece (gasket?) Around the bottom of the helmet is crap and has torn away. Chin strap frays too easily but can be fixed.
In total my favorite helmet.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:16 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Composite here, also couldn't justify the carbon version but I held both and to me i could tell the weight difference of the carbon, just not worth the price difference.

Don't forget about the crown pad...changing the crown pad was what I really needed to make the fit absolutely perfect. Couldn't be happier with mine.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

I believe it was for Snell 2015 that chin straps aren't replaceable anymore.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I believe it was for Snell 2015 that chin straps aren't replaceable anymore.
Hi Matt
Good to know that. Hopefully the issue was fixed subsequent tp mine being made (it is a 2010).
Problem was a fraying tip, which HMS corrected upon request, I believe. I didn't actually have to bring mine back, as Joanie was able to re-sew the tip.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:20 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Just a note about the integrated ear muff helmets -- at the 2nd to last ELMS round the FIA technical scrutineer told me my helmet was no longer allowed in any FIA events (I have a Stilo Zero w/ integrated ear muffs and water system). Apparently they feel the ear muffs compromise something in an impact. He still signed off on it for that race but told me it wouldn't be permitted at the next and final round of the season. I wasn't buying a new helmet for a single race, so I brought it back to the next round and a different scrutineer didn't even mention it.

Just a heads up, but you may want to double or triple check the wording for whatever series you're driving in to make sure it isn't a problem after you drop a bunch of coin.

Personally, I love the integrated ear muffs. In the event your ear buds become disconnected, you can still make out sound from the ear muffs -- great for endurance races.

Also, one last thing, the ear muffs don't muffle enough sound. If you're racing in a loud car or out on track with other loud cars, I *highly* recommend ear buds or some other form of in-ear protection to keep from causing any permanent hearing damage.

-mike
Old 11-22-2016, 01:38 PM
winders
Race Car

My plan is to eliminate the ear buds and use the ear muffs by themselves. My car, and the cars I race with, are a lot quieter than Cup Cars!!
Old 11-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Hello Scott, I don't want to detour you from buying a Stilo but you might also want to look at Roux. It meets all your requirements and also has the CoolX built into the Composite and Carbon models and are at a better price point then Stilo. There worth a look at.

http://www.rouxhelmets.com/autoracing
Old 11-22-2016, 02:03 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Scott,

I have the carbon version and still find that the ear muffs allow enough noise to enter the helmet. I recommend that you wear in-ear hearing protection. You're already a little deaf and you don't want to be really hard of hearing when you retire.

Quick Reply: Stilo Helmets