Sponsored by:

Got approval for Montreal

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 02:21 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Got approval for Montreal

Going to go with my son. Looking for tips on how to plan the visit. Am I already too late to get lodging/tickets?
Old 11-19-2016, 02:35 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not going this year. But usually do and sit at the hairpin. This is the shortest walk from the metro, underground train, which is the easiest way to get to the track. Some of the hotels downtown have access to the metro in the basement, makes it sooooo easy. And checkout the party at Crescent Street on Friday/Saturday nights. Have fun!

Rich
Old 11-20-2016, 09:03 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Good advice. I also like the stands at T2. Allows you see start/finish, wall of shame, pit action, and the run to T3. Definitely don't miss the Crescent St party.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:02 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Try Le Penthouse for an after dinner drink and snack. Highly recommended!!!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:18 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We had a blast this year and kept it low budget. It's more interesting when we try to maximize fun against cost. This one worked out great. Sally got general admission tickets for Xmas at $25.00 each, we stayed in the University of Quebec at Montreal dorms (quite nice, our own bathroom and kitchen, next to a metro stop) for $65.00 a night, and found a great place to watch all the action without paying crazy money for stadium seating. When it started to rain we were dry and everyone in the bleachers got wet.
Went outside to grab a beer before dinner and realized why the city was 92% booked: there was a five block long free music festival going on just around the corner. Great street food, and the kind of "open carry" I like: buy a beer and walk around and listen to free music all night! Great to see entire families spending time together instead of texting everyone who isn't there.
Sally really liked the Formula Ford/Mazda racing and wondered what that would be like. Hmm, wonder where that might lead. She did insist we get a track car... I enjoyed the different levels of skill between the Ferrari Challenge and Porsche Cup classes. More contact with the P-cars than I imagined.
All in all we had a blast and spent less than $200 for a great two days. It's on our schedule for next year for sure.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:14 AM
OffCamber00
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You aren't too late at all.

We have had great luck with VRBO. We typically stay in Plateau Mont Royal where there are many good dining options and the vibe is more locals than tourists. Part of why this is such a great race weekend is that Montreal is a great international city. If you stay downtown w/ the rest of the tourists, I feel like you get less of that experience. Not to mention the hotels over F1 weekend tend to be overly pricey.

If its your very first F1 race, then I recommend the hairpin so that you get a sense of the speed and braking. Otherwise, Turn 3 grandstand. The only drawback is that its a hike from the metro stop.

Come prepared for wet weather.

Quick Reply: Got approval for Montreal