Sponsored by:

Mastering (frankly learning) to upshift

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 01:21 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
All really good questions. And key to finding the improvement you desire.

Lead with the ball of your foot. Better control and feeds into the next pearl...

DIP the clutch. Full disengagement (travel) is not necessary.

Be ready on the shift lever when the drivetrain goes "slack" (no thrust forward nor too much decel), then move it.
Should I put in a clutch stop to help with that?

The speed by which I can angle my foot is pretty slow due to injuries

Are you you putting pressure on the shifter as you DIP the clutch in to feel for slack?
Old 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP I've been told my shifts needed to get more "crisp" and have tried to work on this skill in the past year. Obvi I'm nowhere near VR and Cory and Andy, but I did make some progress by taking Peter's advice on "dipping" the clutch.

I did this by practicing with the engine off, car parked in the garage, 5 min a day just before bedtime. When I got on track, the "muscle memory" gained was helpful. I hadn't thought of a clutch stop, but that might be my next step.

Originally Posted by CrookedCommie
In my BMW track car I put in a clutch stop. It helps build your muscle memory and speed up your footwork, especially since my daily driver BMW has a much heavier and longer clutch pedal travel.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:04 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 801 Likes on 398 Posts

915's aren't bad....you just have to be deliberate. You have to give the synchros time to do their job, that's all.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,957 Likes on 1,734 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Just be glad you aren't shifting a 915!
Here's the proper way to shift a 915 (or any other) 'box.

Here's a good 901 'box vid, same driver.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-10-2016, 02:28 PM
winders
Race Car

Peter,

The 915, with its balk-ring synchros, needs to be upshifted and downshifted slower than a box with Borg-Warner synchros. Simple fact.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:36 PM
winders
Race Car

P.S. Well, shift slower if you want the synchros to live for a reasonable time. If you have the budget to have the box rebuilt every 10 hours or so, shift as fast as you want.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
Peter,

The 915, with its balk-ring synchros, needs to be upshifted and downshifted slower than a box with Borg-Warner synchros. Simple fact.
Scott, with more than thirty years of rebuilding Alfa Romeo Porsche-style baulk-ring synchros, I'm quite familiar with how they work and how long they CAN last.

I refer you and the other doubters to the 915 video above between 1:18 and 1:48.

This is the shift speed people need in order to reach the optimal level.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:20 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Here's the proper way to shift a 915 (or any other) 'box.

Here's a good 901 'box vid, same driver.

Any videos showing feet and hands?
Old 11-10-2016, 07:25 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter I'm curious: is "dipping" the clutch in a 915 transmission possible? My pcar has a 915 (my DD) but have only "dipped" in my relatively modern race car.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:46 AM
winders
Race Car

Scott, with more than thirty years of rebuilding Alfa Romeo Porsche-style baulk-ring synchros, I'm quite familiar with how they work and how long they CAN last.

I refer you and the other doubters to the 915 video above between 1:18 and 1:48.

This is the shift speed people need in order to reach the optimal level.
Peter,

I have a 915 in my race car and I KNOW what happens when you shift them too fast. How many race cars have you raced with a 915?

Don't tell me what I don't know.

You certainly can shift a box with borg-warner synchros faster and what is ideal for a BW box is certainly not ideal for a 915.

Jeez.....
Old 11-11-2016, 01:30 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I think you are actually referring to a different thing here, i.e. speed shifting which is slamming the transmission into gear roughly both by clutch and hand action. The quick shifters on the track shift quickly, but more importantly they are never slamming the transmission into gear. It is a finesse move, not a ham fisted move.
Yes. I think this is an important distinction to make, especially for less experienced drivers. Lots of money shifts in the 996 forum lately, including one of my own, has me a little paranoid lately. And sounds like I underestimated the amount of time crisper shifts can save. Always good stuff here.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:51 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
Yes. I think this is an important distinction to make, especially for less experienced drivers. Lots of money shifts in the 996 forum lately, including one of my own, has me a little paranoid lately. And sounds like I underestimated the amount of time crisper shifts can save. Always good stuff here.
6/10s this issue is costing me so it's big
Old 11-11-2016, 07:47 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

audipwr1-- I'm curious to understand how you learned how slow your upshifts are. Did someone ride with you? Did you look at your data?

Less than optimal shifting technique is very evident in the data. When I first looked at the difference between good shifting and really good shifting I was shocked to see how much time is lost in this seemingly simple skill. ProCoach was the first to point this out to me.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:35 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
audipwr1-- I'm curious to understand how you learned how slow your upshifts are. Did someone ride with you? Did you look at your data?

Less than optimal shifting technique is very evident in the data. When I first looked at the difference between good shifting and really good shifting I was shocked to see how much time is lost in this seemingly simple skill. ProCoach was the first to point this out to me.
Yes data

Time off throttle and decrease in speed relative to pro driver in my car 5 minutes before

Also can see clutch slipping by seeing squiggly speed versus full throttle on release
Old 11-11-2016, 02:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'm at Daytona right now. Here is pro in the car (red) and the owner (blue) coming out of Turn 6 onto the banking and up to the Bus Stop.

There's speed, so you can see the drop, and there is longitudinal g, which shows the thrust force forward (or not).

They start the same, and each shift the blue drops.

You can see the "cessation in acceleration" (Beantown KMan, remember that concept? ) in every v-shaped dip in the longitudinal g.

Notice, almost no dip in the red trace and almost imperceptible drop in speed at each shift. Blue? Not so much.

This is in a 2.5 liter 911 (ST spec) with a 901 gearbox.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-11-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Mastering (frankly learning) to upshift