Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique my Line - Mosport (CTMP)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:39 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Critique my Line - Mosport (CTMP)

Looking to get some feedback from you guys on my driving at Mosport. Last weekend was the last track event of the season up here - looking to hear your thoughts/comments/tips on where I should focus on improving for next season.

Set it to 720p...

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Not a coach or instructor but have done many, many laps there......on the whole looked quite good; just work on your consistency (me too ) i.e. pinching T2's exit once and running pretty wide in 5B on one occasion. Only thing I'd really question is the double apex approach to T8--from what I saw it looks like you're over-slowing the car into the first apex. Might be faster to enter mid-track and do the single-apex as you may be able to carry more speed into the turn. Try it both ways (assuming you have't already) and see what's better for you and your car. My car is a low-hp Mini non-S and I've found that I can carry a ton of speed through there with the latter (single) approach even with street tires, especially since the turn is slightly uphill.

Good job--enjoy!

Gary
Old 10-23-2016, 07:46 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks pretty good Jonathan, not much obvious to say.

Only 'low hanging fruit' that I see is apex of T1: Try and bring the car right in to the apex, which is after the curbing. You should feel as though your door mirror was going to touch the wall. This will allow you to open up the wheel and be flat on the gas earlier and for longer, all the way to track out.

Also make sure that you track all the way out at T2, which again will free up the car and allow you to go faster (instead of keeping the wheel turned and scrubbing speed).

BTW, you know that you can always ask the instructors to go out with you; it's munch easier to comment live, in the car, than from a video.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:47 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice drive. You may want to consider turning in a little later on 10, as you tend to run out of track on exit. Turn 5, maybe try for more of a "circle" between a and b...your turnin for b can be a little abrupt. Personally, I like the double-apex 8, but you may want to start coming in to the first apex a little later.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:43 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Not a coach or instructor but have done many, many laps there......on the whole looked quite good; just work on your consistency (me too ) i.e. pinching T2's exit once and running pretty wide in 5B on one occasion. Only thing I'd really question is the double apex approach to T8--from what I saw it looks like you're over-slowing the car into the first apex. Might be faster to enter mid-track and do the single-apex as you may be able to carry more speed into the turn. Try it both ways (assuming you have't already) and see what's better for you and your car. My car is a low-hp Mini non-S and I've found that I can carry a ton of speed through there with the latter (single) approach even with street tires, especially since the turn is slightly uphill.

Good job--enjoy!

Gary
Thanks Gary - I will try taking 8 differently. PCA teaches the double apex line and I've had a few ask why I'm doing this. I think I can probably carry more speed and brake later by staying left and turning in later?

Originally Posted by FFaust
Looks pretty good Jonathan, not much obvious to say.

Only 'low hanging fruit' that I see is apex of T1: Try and bring the car right in to the apex, which is after the curbing. You should feel as though your door mirror was going to touch the wall. This will allow you to open up the wheel and be flat on the gas earlier and for longer, all the way to track out.

Also make sure that you track all the way out at T2, which again will free up the car and allow you to go faster (instead of keeping the wheel turned and scrubbing speed).

BTW, you know that you can always ask the instructors to go out with you; it's munch easier to comment live, in the car, than from a video.
Thanks Francois! So in T1, am I turning in too early, preventing me from having the car as straight as it should be on track out?

T2, that makes sense. I've been told I'm a g-force ***** and need to release my turns!

I grabbed an instructor for Day 2 but unfortunately with all the rain wasn't able to work on the above. Still learned a TON about driving in torrential downpours!

Originally Posted by Bill N
Nice drive. You may want to consider turning in a little later on 10, as you tend to run out of track on exit. Turn 5, maybe try for more of a "circle" between a and b...your turnin for b can be a little abrupt. Personally, I like the double-apex 8, but you may want to start coming in to the first apex a little later.
Thanks Bill - point well taken on 10. For 5 I will definitely try that, I always feel like I'm wrestling the car through B... it just won't turn that sharply at that speed so a wider "circle" makes sense.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:15 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Thanks Gary - I will try taking 8 differently. PCA teaches the double apex line and I've had a few ask why I'm doing this. I think I can probably carry more speed and brake later by staying left and turning in later?
That's what works for me--the double-apex approach is what the racers use, but they're racers usually with lots more grip than we (I?) have. If I try the double at speed in my car I will not make apex #2.

And, as always, w/o knowing your experience level, the more seat time you get the more comfortable you'll be--at least as comfortable as you can get at Mosport!

Gary

...damn, all this Mosport talk has me wishing I was there with DriveTeq today.....
Old 10-24-2016, 03:56 PM
CL944135I
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the double apex in 8 you are starting to turn in/bring the car across the track too early. Wait until you have crested the hill (close to the double cones) then bring the car into the apex, applying the brakes after you have started to bring the car to the inside. Carry the brakes all the way to the 1st apex and trail brake beyond if needed. This will change the angle of the car during the 1st apex so you run more parallel to the turtles on the inside.

In my 135I the double apex works well but with in my SP2 class 924s I find the single apex works better, though I didn't know the correct entry for the double apex when I was running that car.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:59 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

T1, I wouldn't say that you are turning in too early, but rather that you are straightening out too early. Keep the steering input a touch longer, until you are all the way in (this 'might' require a touch later turn in to avoid 'jumping' the last section of curbing). Then, once you release, you will have a longer run to track out (further down), flat out on the gas the whole way.

T5, if you need to make the car turn more, you'll need some foot-play (I'm not saying that you do, this is in response to your comment above).

There are many ways through 5 and 8, and I'm not saying this to be diplomatic. I personally like in and out of 5A and B; straight up A, trail-brake all the way to the back, then flick the car for B. It works for me. 8, I still have not figured out, so let me know when you do; one apex, two apexes, wide, shallow... This exploration is part of the fun.

8 has a lot to do with speed and pucker factor. I'm at 240 in the GT3, but was at 200 with the Cayman, non-S, on the weekend, so there was absolutely no sense of urgency, lol.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:04 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

8 in the GT3, I have a 'natural' tendency to do double apex, but that is probably because it provides more real estate to bring the speed down, otherwise it scares me.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:06 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
8 has a lot to do with speed and pucker factor. I'm at 240 in the GT3, but was at 200 with the Cayman, non-S, on the weekend, so there was absolutely no sense of urgency, lol.
You go through 8 at 240??? Hot damn!!

What tires are you on?

I couldn't dream of even getting to 240 by the end of the back straight so this must mean I don't actually have to brake at all for 8!
Old 10-24-2016, 04:22 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

No, no, no, I get to the top of the back straight at those speeds. No idea what speed I go through the turn, I'm too busy looking out the window.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Ah. LOL. That makes much more sense. I hit 230 up there in my Boxster GTS.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:04 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
You go through 8 at 240??? Hot damn!!

What tires are you on?

I couldn't dream of even getting to 240 by the end of the back straight so this must mean I don't actually have to brake at all for 8!
In the Mini I do not brake for 8.....keep it floored, lift and count either "one" or "one-two" depending on how brave I'm feeling that day, and back to the floor.

Of course, I'm only seeing 175 or so before lifting

Gary
Old 10-24-2016, 06:53 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

160-170 km between 8-9 is fast

Not all cars can do that

The key is to maintain good speed when u blip/downshift at the end of the back straight
Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
160-170 km between 8-9 is fast

Not all cars can do that

The key is to maintain good speed when u blip/downshift at the end of the back straight
Good to know, Seb..... on a good day I show about 105mph (170kph) between 8 and 9--I don't brake for 8 'cos when I do it's always too much and I kill my momentum.

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 10-24-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Critique my Line - Mosport (CTMP)