Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   My First Weekend in White Group at Mosport (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/959009-my-first-weekend-in-white-group-at-mosport.html)

PPo 10-21-2016 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by NYoutftr (Post 13691262)
Which 996 are you referring to?
I have this one:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...eb3b7dfbac.jpg

Sorry for the confusion... This is the 996 I was talking about. A 2003 with a NOT black or grey interior, and not in black, silver, or grey... Nice!

PPo 10-21-2016 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel (Post 13690860)
I figured that meant I needed to take the turn faster rather than I need to unwind sooner. I'll keep that in mind next time!!

Could be a bit of both. Think about it like this, the car goes faster sooner with the steering wheel straight. It may be tough to get used to, but I like to think about pulling the car out of the corner by pulling down on the steering with the highest/outside hand. The sooner you start pulling, the sooner you will go faster. I have not driven with UCR in many years, but they tend to put the apex cones a bit late on purpose... so you may want to try and apex a bit earlier to help you use all the track. I still apex too late in 10 as well more often than I should... I really should know better.

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel (Post 13690860)
How did you crash? Did you go off to the right or spin in to the left?

It was a bit weird to be honest. I went in a little hot, and the car got very sideways very quick... I corrected it, didn't lift, then it just snapped away on me and spun. Ended up hitting the yellow barrels between the track and pit entrance. Nobody hurt, but the car was not drivable as the right rear suspension was done.

Car is almost back together thanks to Seb and his crew at 987part! ;-)

PPo 10-21-2016 04:05 PM

I went back and used your video to visualize how I crashed at 9... I just can't understand how it happened. I caught the first slide without issue... and it snapped away such that I had no control. Weird... Anyhow... The line I use in 9 makes the crash that happened even more strange. I basically straight line from end of 8 and apex 9 at the very end of the inside turtles, pretty much ignores 9 all together.

PPo 10-21-2016 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Paseb (Post 13690776)
im slow in 4, can't commit 100% full throttle on top of 4

i need to hit 200 km/h mark before braking :corn:

You brake for 4?!? Why?

Just kidding, 200 into 4 is fast...

NYoutftr 10-21-2016 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by PPo (Post 13691295)
Sorry for the confusion... This is the 996 I was talking about. A 2003 with a NOT black or grey interior, and not in black, silver, or grey... Nice!

Thank you.

I have had thoughts of getting a different Porsche maybe with a PDK, I am getting older every day.

Just have a lot of money recently invested in this car, $6k couple months ago for IMS, AOS, brakes and clutch/flywheel.

David

Wild Weasel 10-21-2016 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by PPo (Post 13691345)
You brake for 4?!? Why?

LOL! You're not the first person I've seen suggesting we take 4 flat out.

I can't bring myself to even consider it. I think I just feel like I'm gonna fly off the top of the hill and go off into the woods.

I mean... probably the car will stick and I'll make it through... but not being able to see it really has an effect on my courage. :D

I don't brake much... but it makes me happy to put the front end down and have the car feel planted coming over the hill.

Two instructors ago... what was one place he kept saying I was braking too much. :D

gbuff 10-21-2016 05:58 PM

I'm flat from the exit of T3 until the entry to T5; then again, I only have 121hp :D

Gary

PPo 10-21-2016 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel (Post 13691455)
LOL! You're not the first person I've seen suggesting we take 4 flat out.

You need to ease into it or else trouble will appear...

Try reducing throttle to half throttle after your exit from 3, and carrying less speed as you normally due to get used to the feeling of no brakes into 4. Or lift off the throttle 30-40 feet before your normal braking point.

The trick is to get used to not having to brake for 4 first at a safe speed, and then you slowly add more and more throttle. When you crash, back off a bit from that point. Just kidding! You will slowly be able to just breath off the throttle to settle the front, and get back on it to pull through the corner.

One thing to remember is you are at the point where you don't need to maximize every corner every time to prove to yourself or others you can drive fast. Let them pass, who cares. You are over that rookie stage, now you need to work to get faster, it doesn't come easy this point forward. You need to start optimizing one corner at a time. Pick a corner to work on, and slow down and drive a consistent line for the rest. Talk to yourself (yes out loud) and tell yourself how you did on the corner every time. Then use the rest of the lap to tell yourself what you want to change. Execute your changes in silence and repeat.

When in the paddock, ignore what people are saying about other corners, and ask others about what they do in the corner you are working on. Understand what they are saying, and see if it applies to you.

Using this approach in PCA is sometimes hard because of the short sessions... welcome to 6th gear and other events next year. See you there... ;-)

P

Sir5n 10-21-2016 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by PPo (Post 13691330)
I went back and used your video to visualize how I crashed at 9... I just can't understand how it happened. I caught the first slide without issue... and it snapped away such that I had no control. Weird... Anyhow... The line I use in 9 makes the crash that happened even more strange. I basically straight line from end of 8 and apex 9 at the very end of the inside turtles, pretty much ignores 9 all together.

I went sideways out of 9 earlier this year on worn tires with a student in the car. Nothing but concrete around. Was demonstrating exelleration out of the apex and got a big slide going.

The worst place to have to work out of on this track.

WW; You did this in later laps, downshift and turn in at the end of the curb entering turn 9. Not where the cone is placed at most events.

The early entry settles the car for 10! That's where most of the incidents happen. Spin out after 10 and right into the pit walk backwards!

seanseidman 10-22-2016 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by PPo (Post 13691659)
You need to ease into it or else trouble will appear... Try reducing throttle to half throttle after your exit from 3, and carrying less speed as you normally due to get used to the feeling of no brakes into 4. Or lift off the throttle 30-40 feet before your normal braking point. The trick is to get used to not having to brake for 4 first at a safe speed, and then you slowly add more and more throttle. When you crash, back off a bit from that point. Just kidding! You will slowly be able to just breath off the throttle to settle the front, and get back on it to pull through the corner. One thing to remember is you are at the point where you don't need to maximize every corner every time to prove to yourself or others you can drive fast. Let them pass, who cares. You are over that rookie stage, now you need to work to get faster, it doesn't come easy this point forward. You need to start optimizing one corner at a time. Pick a corner to work on, and slow down and drive a consistent line for the rest. Talk to yourself (yes out loud) and tell yourself how you did on the corner every time. Then use the rest of the lap to tell yourself what you want to change. Execute your changes in silence and repeat. When in the paddock, ignore what people are saying about other corners, and ask others about what they do in the corner you are working on. Understand what they are saying, and see if it applies to you. Using this approach in PCA is sometimes hard because of the short sessions... welcome to 6th gear and other events next year. See you there... ;-) P

Good advice, I agree with easing off between 3-4
I try to do that as below

Sir5n 10-22-2016 09:26 PM

Great post.

FFaust 10-23-2016 11:08 PM

OP, it appears you've been taught well.

Yes, use all the track at track out, even when you feel that you don't need to; release the wheel and let the car go all the way out. The earlier you do this, the happier/more balanced it will be, you won't be scrubbing speed, and you'll be able to get on the gas sooner and more. It's when we 'fight' the car that upsets can happen. Like putting two wheels in the grass, just keep it straight and bring it back slowly; no drama.

Yes, beware of T9, I've seen more mishaps there than anywhere else. It looks straightforward, but there's a lot happening, and a lot of concrete if you screw up.

Wild Weasel 10-24-2016 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by FFaust (Post 13695940)
OP, it appears you've been taught well.

Yes, use all the track at track out, even when you feel that you don't need to; release the wheel and let the car go all the way out. The earlier you do this, the happier/more balanced it will be, you won't be scrubbing speed, and you'll be able to get on the gas sooner and more. It's when we 'fight' the car that upsets can happen. Like putting two wheels in the grass, just keep it straight and bring it back slowly; no drama.

Yes, beware of T9, I've seen more mishaps there than anywhere else. It looks straightforward, but there's a lot happening, and a lot of concrete if you screw up.

Thanks to everyone posting here for the advice!

I think my first course of action next year will be to concentrate on turn 4 and see if I can get over my apprehension of going over the hill faster. Cresting the hill and having the car feel light is unsettling but I've never had even a little amount of slip up there so it seems to be all in my head. Once I'm over the top of the hill I accelerate down to 5. I just need to get over that fear at the top.

As for 8-9-10... It sounds like the best plan for now is to just keep doing what I'm doing. I'd just as soon not find out for myself where it all goes wrong there. :D Right now I'm taking a nice safe line. I'll stick with that and work on other corners until I better understand the dangers there.

FFaust 10-24-2016 11:43 AM

Your 'apprehension' at 4 is well founded, and the odds are that if you ever did feel slip there, it wouldn't end well.

There is some camber on the left side of the track; use it to help you over and down the hill.

Have fun.

Sir5n 10-24-2016 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by FFaust (Post 13696705)
Your 'apprehension' at 4 is well founded, and the odds are that if you ever did feel slip there, it wouldn't end well.

There is some camber on the left side of the track; use it to help you over and down the hill.

Have fun.

FFoust is bang on...bad pun -sorry.

Not sure coasting into turn 4 settles the car as well as going as fast as the car will go and then lightly tapping the break at the crest of the hill and pointing into the turn.

We''re in low downforce cars on street tires after all. Radical-flat with downforce.

Worth trying different methods and deciding for yourself about flat versus lift through there at reasonable speed.

That's the fun of it!