Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting out in a hurry

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 01:08 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I have had 2 car fires, one of the things not mentioned above is that you need to have a kill switch on the inside of the car to disconnect all of your electrical components especially your fuel pump. A fire will not last long without a source. Second know what the limits are on your fire suppression system, for example if it is a gas system to not operate it while the car is moving too fast.

Also do not forget to pull the safety pin on your fire suppression system. I saw a car after a fire, with a popular fire suppression system where the triggering handle was bent but had not fired due to the safety pin still being in place.

I think that the halo seat for a large number of us is not suitable for fast egress, while we like to think that we are still in our 20s we are not. I use a standard racing seat with a window net and an internal net to reduce head movement, while it may not be as effective it does reduce head movement.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Has anyone decided to forego halo seats in order to enable/ease egress through the window?
Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
In a Miata I think Halo seats might be a problem. But in most cars the benefits far outweigh the extra room they take.
I know a lot of racers that use a halo seat in their spec miatas, and a lot that don't. Generally speaking, the taller drivers, who have their seats mounted far back in the cockpit have no issues. Shorter guys like me that like to sit up on the wheel have issues with egress. There is absolutely no way I could get out the window with a halo. I can barely get in and out with the door open. I'm pretty claustrophobic on top of that. As a result, I've opted for a non-halo seat.

Since i I don't have a halo, I have installed a Safecraft Grand Am style side net. I use that in addition to a conventional window net. Yes I know it's not as good as a halo, and I understand the risk weighted benefits and or negative impacts.

https://store.windingroad.com/mobile/safecraft-restraint-systems-leftright-side-head-net---kevlar-p726.aspx
Old 10-24-2016, 06:20 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I always get in the same way and then reverse the procedure to get out. After some time, you'll be on autopilot getting out of the car.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 10-24-2016, 06:34 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I always get in the same way and then reverse the procedure to get out. After some time, you'll be on autopilot getting out of the car.
Through the window?
Old 10-24-2016, 06:37 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Through the window?
No, I open the door, which I would also do if possible in a quick egress situation. But, at my size, still have to climb out..not easy either way.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:37 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I could not get out of my 944 with the halo. Seat bolted to the floor. I installed a non-halo seat but I also have left and right side triangle nets. Including the window net.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:53 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a halo seat and it was a slight impediment when I had to get out through the passenger window - only because I screwed up. I had practiced getting out in ~7 seconds and was happy with that. I gave some thought to the issues associated with getting out upside down, but when the time came and I had to get out while upside down and with the drive side blocked because I was against the wall I learned that you need to spend more time thinking about it and practicing. It took me ~30 seconds to get out because I made two mistakes (1) I forgot to take the steering wheel off at first and (2) I forgot to slide the seat back before I disconnected my belts. There was no fire so I was fine, but I'm much more aware and practice getting out more often now. Make sure you visualize the steps and what you would do if you had no access to the drivers door.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:08 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Just thought about this... Could the windshield be attached with inside clip-ons that would allow it to be pushed out from the inside in an emergency? It seems that would be the largest area for easiest/fastest egress in a hurry for even the huskiest of racers.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:44 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Very important - I switched to a flat bottom steering wheel so I wouldn't have to take it off.
Flat bottom wheels make the world go around...
Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

The closer you get to the dash the smaller your window to escape due to the A piller slope. Sometimes it makes sense to add pedal blocks and steering wheel quick release extension especially with a fixed seat to give you more room to get out the window or escape out the passenger side. A side effect is better weigh distribution moving a 175lb driver further back in a front engine chassis.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
I have a halo seat and it was a slight impediment when I had to get out through the passenger window - only because I screwed up. I had practiced getting out in ~7 seconds and was happy with that. I gave some thought to the issues associated with getting out upside down, but when the time came and I had to get out while upside down and with the drive side blocked because I was against the wall I learned that you need to spend more time thinking about it and practicing. It took me ~30 seconds to get out because I made two mistakes (1) I forgot to take the steering wheel off at first and (2) I forgot to slide the seat back before I disconnected my belts. There was no fire so I was fine, but I'm much more aware and practice getting out more often now. Make sure you visualize the steps and what you would do if you had no access to the drivers door.
I guess I'd not considered a strategy to exit passenger side...thanks for raising this point.
What happened when you released the harness with the car flipped? I'm assuming you found a way to not drop dead weight... Did you brace your legs on the dash?
Old 11-05-2016, 11:14 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-24-2016, 12:01 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Good news. The other day I tried getting out of my SPB with halo seat through the window in full gear. No problem at all. Few secs. Would have been even faster if motivated by fire and not worried about scratching the suit or hitting/bruising against stuff around the window or hitting/rolling on the ground.

Last edited by hf1; 11-24-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:38 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

At 6' 3", 250 lbs & 65 y.o., w/a halo seat... it is serious hard to get out of my Spec Boxster, even after practicing and being in good shape for my age. Because of this, a fire is the only thing in racing that really scares me... I am thinking about going to a halo less seat for this reason only....

-Chuck
Old 11-25-2016, 09:08 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I'd keep the halo. There are many more potential scenarios where the halo will make a large difference to your brain and/or neck, especially near all those roll bars around it. Try lowering the seat or change the seat angle to move the halo away from blocking the window egress. Also explore different halo seats. I'm 6', 175lb, btw.

Quick Reply: Getting out in a hurry